Fight Report?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Did anybody see the fights on Friday night? Can we get a report?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Totally disappointing! Not as bad as last year, but nothing like the first year....when Roberto Duran was the MC and ESPN Dos covered the event...with a couple of world-class fights on the card.

Last year was a joke...barely on the level of a local Golden Gloves Tournament.

This year the event was well organized ( a problem with the first two) And started relatively on time (8:40). But IMO went downhill from there. Out of eight bouts, only one ended by a knock-out, there were no decisions...the rest were TKO's...in most cases when the first real punch landed in the fight...or when one of the boxers decided to quit.

Several times the Ring announcer didn't know the name of the boxers and at least one time he mixed up who was from where...

All that being said, I'm not really complaining, just commenting...I still think it was great entertainment for 300 pesos!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Totally disappointing! Not as bad as last year, but nothing like the first year....when Roberto Duran was the MC and ESPN Dos covered the event...with a couple of world-class fights on the card.

I'm afraid we won't see a fight like the first again in Sosua. The promoter told me that the reason ESPN covered the first fight was because they were paid to do so. (Apparently they don't go around the world looking for fights to cover but to where they are paid to go.) He said that considering what they can charge here that having ESPN come is a financially losing proposition.