Finally after 3 years.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Floridabob,
You don't need to physically go to the Cayman Islands. I bank with Mercantil, here in Puerto Plata, last year they were bought out by Republic Bank of Trinidad & Tobago. Republic Bank has an offshore subsidiary in Caymans. So I moved my dollars out of DR to Caymans, without needing to leave Puerto Plata. I can get them back the same way. No journey required. PM me if you want the specifics. BTW interest rate in Caymans is much lower than another offshore I have in Isle of Man (but that is in sterling, not dollars). And welcome!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
floridabob said:
Escott and Tehama,
You are both abosolutely correct on the money figures and the days out of country. Your opinions and information are greatly appreciated. Let me clarify my position. My objective (as always) is to pay the MINIMUM tax I am legally obliged to pay. Tax laws say that as a U.S. citizen you must file a return no matter where you reside.

As I am not rich, but should be able to live comfortably off my saving account, I believe that the interest I earn will be offset by deductions for housing, and other deductions, and should make my LEGAL tax liability either $0 or close to it.
You don't get a deduction for housing.

Scott

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Go figure

floridabob said:
HB and Rocky,
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll stay at Rocky's for a while. HB I don't play golf, I've been trying to play golf for years and still haven't figured it out. Grahame was nice enough to pick me up at the airport on one of my trips and I know he's a golfer. Maybe between the two of you, you can get together and teach me to master the game. I've lost enough balls over the years to own titleist. I hope we can get together soon for a few rounds.
Criss Colon. Your comments to most every post on this board are negative. I'm not keeping my money in the U.S. because I don't want to pay taxes on it. I don't need advice on real estate or living life in general, thanks anyway. I'm not moving there on a whim, I plan everything I do carefully. I'll never understand why, if a person hates a place so much they simply don't move to another location.
I'll be looking forward to meeting most of the rest of you.
Thanks again.

How in God's name do you take this post as NEGATIVE?? Conservative advise from a man who gives you a plan to beat the inflation of the peso, check out for a period of time the right place to live, and to be happy with your decision to live in a country that you have never lived in before? AND, the post is not about him, ie: "why a person etc" its about good advise to YOU.
If you don't need any advise as you say--why post??

JOHN

floridabob

Dec 13, 2002
johne said:
How in God's name do you take this post as NEGATIVE?? Conservative advise from a man who gives you a plan to beat the inflation of the peso, check out for a period of time the right place to live, and to be happy with your decision to live in a country that you have never lived in before? AND, the post is not about him, ie: "why a person etc" its about good advise to YOU.
If you don't need any advise as you say--why post??

JOHN

Johne,
Here was my original post: Does anyone know anything about Cayman banks that will let me obtain cash thru ATM's or checks for day to day living expenses.
I am fully aware on the peso inflation problem, and I fully intend to rent for as long as it takes. I have checked out the place extensively and if you had read my other posts you would realize that.

CC didn't address my question but went on to give his opinion on other matters. I guess he assumes that I am some pretentious Yuppie since he felt compelled to make the following statement. "Why do you want to buy a house here? To say you have a "Villa" in the DR?" I want a house so I have a permanent home in which to grow a garden, add on a room if I wish or do whatever I want to. I will rent for short term but his statement that "rent in the DR.Houses cost less to rent,than they do to buy!" This is not necessarily a fact and I don't know how anyone can make such a statment.
He also says:
"I would leave the money in a Money Market Fund in the US! Here is a "formula" that you can use,Invest your capital inthe US,rent in the DR.Houses cost less to rent,than they do to buy! Your capital remains safe,you are not tied to anything,you are better off in the long run!"
I already established that I wasn't going to leave my money in the U.S. but he tells me to do it anyway.
And: "Bring no money to the DR! Lots of people come here,buy,don't like
it,or poor health,or divorce,(THe list goes on!)then they have to liquidad their holdings
,at who knows what current exchange rate,and then repatriate their money!"
I never said I was bringing money to the DR. As for the second part, I already realize all of that. I'm not some 19 year old kid who has decided to move to the DR on a whim. I'm a 50 year old man who knows what he wants, researches everything thoroughly, and have traveled the world extensively.
And finally: "Dean Brown,may be the greatest guy in real estate,BUT,he wants to sell real estate!He
paints the best picture on purchasing property NOW,before the price really takes off
,and you are closed out of the market!" Hello! Yes, Dean's job is to sell real estate, but I have never found him to be the least bit pushy and he has certainly never made or implied any of those things to me.
So....CC never addressed my original and only question. He disparaged me by somehow assuming I wanted to buy a "villa" just so I could say I had one. By the way I only referenced buying property, I didn't say which kind.
He gave me advice on keeping my money in the U.S. which I already said I wasn't going to do. Warned me about the cons of owning property and the state of the DR economy. Both situations of which I am already keenly aware, and finally bad mouthing probably one of the most helpful realtors on the North Coast, and a pretty nice guy I might add.
I asked a simple question and received intelligent replies from people in the know. CC offered nothing except opinions apparently from bad experiences he has suffered in the past that had nothing to do with my question.
I would like to think he has good intentions, but I have been reading his answers to posts for a long time. His agenda is one of these two things, I just haven't figured out which one yet. He either: 1. Has suffered so many bad experiences and dislikes the DR so much that he tries to discourage anyone else from living there, or: 2. He loves the DR so much and knows what it has to offer that he wants to discourage all Gringos like me from living there in the fear we'll come and spoil the place. Maybe I'll get to meet him someday over a Presidente and he can enlighten me.
I hope this answered your question.