find a job

choosingone

Mar 25, 2005
FireGuy said:
I think Laurent is doing just fine as a native French speaker, speaking English. I wish I could do as well in French or Spanish.

Gregg

to Mr Gregg ,

Thank You . I am sure that it would easier for you to learn another language , if you were living in a different country , you will not have other choice that learn . I was speaking english already before I decided to move in USA , but I was far awy to that good , after been 4 years over there it will a pity if my english did not come better , lol

Another language that I would interested to learn will be the language from east europe like Croatian , Serbs etc .... I been over there couple times and their kindness always give me a need to speak their languages .

regards ,
Laurent

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
Bonjour Laurent,

It would seem to me that while you received some very good info, tips, advice, you have received a good beating as well. Yes! the good folks in this forum are very paternalistic, and you know that you should never talk back to daddy.

Don't be discouraged however, there are some in this forum who would understand that your first language is french, therefore, your answers back to them is not meant to be disrespecful but simply a minor clash between culture and language.

Perception is reality, if they deemed you disrespecful then there cannot be any argument, that said however they ommitted to see how many times you have thanked almost everyone who gave you advice. No one however said anything when you were advised to go "cut sugar cane in Haiti" I would think that respect goes both ways.

Finally, this is a site for exchange of point of views, we should not be forcing our point of views or take it personal if someone disagrees, in the end the only way one learns is by making mistakes. Laurent, nothing in DR is impossible, I have no doubt you can find a job here and anywhere in the world using the internet. By the way Laurent, tout le monde qui vient pour la premiere fois sur ce site se font battre, jusqu'a ce qu'il commence a te connaitre un peut mieux. Laurent, most of the people on this site are good folks, however, they are sometimes overly sensitive.

Good luck and take care.

choosingone said:
I understand both of your point , but I do not pretend to know everything in any case . I respect more than anything being in a different country and like say my friend dominicans or the ones that live over there but are foreigners , D-R is the third world and it is true , I saw a great potential in this country and I do love to leran about other cultures . I do not try to bite the hand that will feed me either , cause I think that people from over there can bring me different things and I can learn from them but I can bring to them something too .

Like I say , I do not hope any of you to tell me that it will be easy in DR , I saw the difficulties over there , but it doesn't mean that nothing is impossible .

regards ,
Laurent .

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I have no doubt you can find a job here and anywhere in the world using the internet.

Hi pdimanche, do you mean me and others that try to tell how it actually works here in Dominican Republic when it comes to search for a job, that we are lying when we say email is not way to do it?

If so, please let the information out where to send emails etc. There is a crowd of people already here, especially in the tourism, that I know are worried about work now when the season is about to end... They are already knocking on each and every door to live the lowseason here...

Sometimes the reality is not as simple as internet and emails, and it is not when it comes to job searching here on the island.
No one have talked Laurent out of searching for a job here, only some better options and facts have been given. From experience and from the reality.

And yes, it is a bit disrespectful when someone who have been here for 15 days question people who live here if they have visited any countries or worked somewhere abroad before, or gives us information about the legal system.

Everybody here is ready to help and assist, but as someone said, it is always based on the truth and the reality here when it comes to assist people who wants to relocate to this wonderful island. The reality is always the best help that anyone can ever get.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
To Lambada:
I think Lambada made a very good point when she compared the advise you often get from Dominicans as compared to Expats.

Many of my Dominicans friends are very optimistic about me re-locating to the Dominican Republic. "Of course you will find a job, John!" they say. "No, I don't think US$5,000 a month is unrealistic!" they say.

But I see that as signs of love, really. Because they also say things like: "I am your friend, John, I will help you!" "I will introduce you to some people I know, John, and they might be able to help you." "Oh, we will help you with your Spanish studies, John, don't worry!" I am actually overwhelmed with the warmth and love people show me in DR. I have never experienced anything quite like that anywhere else.

To Carina:
At the same time, Carina, I am slowly re-adjusting my stubborn mind to understand that the Dominican Republic is NOT Europe, neither in mentality, economy, approach etc. I still have a lot to learn which is quite embarrassing really, since I have visited the country on many occasions.

On my forth-coming visit, I am going to do all I can do let my hair down, unwrap my arms and allow the spirit of the Dominican Republic to bring me new knowledge, wisdom and open my eyes to a world which indeed is different from the ones I know. Once I finally allow that truth to sink in, only then will I be able to adjust and be successful.

It is like being with a new woman. Look to what she can offer you, not what she can't give. Look to what she has and not what she is lacking. Recognize her openly for who she is and she will be totally devoted to you...

Oh, and keeping in mind a comment I received from a member on this board, I need to stop replying to everything people say, by my ubiquitous "Yes, but..."

Hasta pronto,
John
aka Johnny Guapo (Hahahaha)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My goodness Voyager. There's hope for you yet. ;) This is a brief response. I'm gobsmacked. Voyager with his hair down. Can we handle this, we ask ourselves? Whatever next? Voyager a party animal?
See you soon, John.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Good points Voyager.
.. don?t we all adjust and learn as new experiences comes along...
That?s the beauty of living here as well, because we always bump in to, or have to deal, with something in new ( for us ) ways when living here..
;)

pdimanche

May 26, 2004
What I meant is what I wrote. I did not call anyone "Liars" so don't put words in my mouth. To advise someone to ignore the internet as a way to find a job in DR is ignorant. Looking for a job is a full time job in itself, therefore all methods should be be utilized.

I am not looking for a job in the DR, however, as a form of exercise, I decided to surf for 30 minutes just to look what was available as work in DR. Well, I guess there is alot of organizations, businesses ect. that are posting just to amuse themselves.

Giving advise is simply passing ones own exeperience to others, it should not be taken as "the way it is" life experience as we all know is different for everyone. I have been reading these threads for the past year, and am familiar with those who are experts in their own areas. They usually give good advise with a touch of amusement, which keeps these threads interesting. They take nothing personal nor should they.

By the way, I am not a guru about anything, I simply use common sense and I definitely don't pretend to know more than anyone else about any issue. I take nothing personal, as I expect no one to take anything I say personal.

Cheers
Patrick

carina said:
Hi pdimanche, do you mean me and others that try to tell how it actually works here in Dominican Republic when it comes to search for a job, that we are lying when we say email is not way to do it?

If so, please let the information out where to send emails etc. There is a crowd of people already here, especially in the tourism, that I know are worried about work now when the season is about to end... They are already knocking on each and every door to live the lowseason here...

Sometimes the reality is not as simple as internet and emails, and it is not when it comes to job searching here on the island.
No one have talked Laurent out of searching for a job here, only some better options and facts have been given. From experience and from the reality.

And yes, it is a bit disrespectful when someone who have been here for 15 days question people who live here if they have visited any countries or worked somewhere abroad before, or gives us information about the legal system.

Everybody here is ready to help and assist, but as someone said, it is always based on the truth and the reality here when it comes to assist people who wants to relocate to this wonderful island. The reality is always the best help that anyone can ever get.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
pdimanche said:
I am not looking for a job in the DR, however, as a form of exercise, I decided to surf for 30 minutes just to look what was available as work in DR. Well, I guess there is alot of organizations, businesses ect. that are posting just to amuse themselves.

Please post the URL's of these organizations so everybody can benefit from your research. Thanks.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
To advise someone to ignore the internet as a way to find a job in DR is ignorant. Looking for a job is a full time job in itself, therefore all methods should be be utilized.

Hi again, I am not saying mine or anyone elses advices is "like a law", but I am saying that experience tells us, when it comes to Dominican Republic" job searching on the internet is a waste of time, unless you are out for a CEO position that sometimes will be announced.

If you have experiences and education on another level than CEO or management positions , looking for work in tourism, training dogs etc that was written in this thread, you will have no luck on the internet. Basically because many wishes to work, the salaries are commission based and the employeer would like to meet the person before even giving time to talk or write about a possible position.
Same goes for those people who want to work in bars etc.
Salary is min. wage and they want to see you, and then maybe talk.

Those employers also want to know that you have your living arrangements organized, that - in the cases they demand for hireing you - you have your papers in order etc etc.

These kind of works are not out on the internet, and then I would say - at least in my opinion - it is wise to give a fellow the advice to come here instead and knock on doors rather than to sit and email companies that will not even reply.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Carina dear, I see you joined DR1 recently and are trying your best to help get through to others.

The best advise I can give you is, post once or twice on a subject especially when it comes to working and living in the DR and then let it be.

People need to learn the hard way and if they have to argue with DR1 members that live there then there's no point trying to defend everything you have posted.

People post on DR1 all the time asking about jobs, wages, living expenses, shipping cars, ect. and the ones that argue with the residents never do return to say. Haha you were wrong. ;)

choosingone

Mar 25, 2005
carina said:
Hi again, I am not saying mine or anyone elses advices is "like a law", but I am saying that experience tells us, when it comes to Dominican Republic" job searching on the internet is a waste of time, unless you are out for a CEO position that sometimes will be announced.

If you have experiences and education on another level than CEO or management positions , looking for work in tourism, training dogs etc that was written in this thread, you will have no luck on the internet. Basically because many wishes to work, the salaries are commission based and the employeer would like to meet the person before even giving time to talk or write about a possible position.
Same goes for those people who want to work in bars etc.
Salary is min. wage and they want to see you, and then maybe talk.

Those employers also want to know that you have your living arrangements organized, that - in the cases they demand for hireing you - you have your papers in order etc etc.

These kind of works are not out on the internet, and then I would say - at least in my opinion - it is wise to give a fellow the advice to come here instead and knock on doors rather than to sit and email companies that will not even reply.

Well , you noticed only training dogs in my post but you forgot the other ones ...... but no big deal , who cares !
hope that everybody had a very nice Happy Eastern day .

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Anna - I agree and see your point.

Choosingone - I noticed your other experiences in work too.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
carina said:
Choosingone - I noticed your other experiences in work too.

I don't suppose anyone has mentioned that he's lucky if the wages will be around 200 US a month. :laugh:

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Voyager said:
For important positions, these companies would not expect the magic of a suitable candidate to suddenly come walking in from the street... To use your own words, Anna, they were quite willing to "sit around and wait" until they found the right person.

On a side note, which international business magazine publishes latin american (institutional) management job offers? I am reading the Economist weekly and they publish a lot of management positions for english speaking countries in Africa or Middle East. There must be something similar for Latin America I think?
Bartolomeo

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I have no idea, but there should be...
I ve seen some for DR specifically in Listin Diaro every now and then, but otherwise... noop...

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Bartolomeo67 said:
On a side note, which international business magazine publishes latin american (institutional) management job offers? I am reading the Economist weekly and they publish a lot of management positions for english speaking countries in Africa or Middle East. There must be something similar for Latin America I think?
Bartolomeo
Bartolomeo,
Try this link:
http://www.latpro.com/USER/JOBS/job-search.php?embed=latintrade

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
Keith R said:

Hello Keith!

Aha, a website, just the way I like it, living in the 21st century!!!

However, I checked for jobs, any category, any salary, in these locations:

Argentina, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, French Guyana, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands.

I found a total of 37 jobs... Not 3700, not 370, not even a hundred but a mere thirtyseven!? Hm!?

I guess I will have to listen to Carina's advise, take the next 2 years off and go knocking on every door from the Bahamas to Tierra del Fuego.

Anyway, Keith, not your fault that the website is not used too much.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Voyager said:
Hello Keith!

Aha, a website, just the way I like it, living in the 21st century!!!

However, I checked for jobs, any category, any salary, in these locations:

I found a total of 37 jobs... Not 3700, not 370, not even a hundred but a mere thirtyseven!? Hm!?

I guess I will have to listen to Carina's advise, take the next 2 years off and go knocking on every door from the Bahamas to Tierra del Fuego.

Anyway, Keith, not your fault that the website is not used too much.
This is the only site I know dedicated to professional jobs in Latin America and the Caribbean. A Miami-based monthly publication, Latin Trade, has some listings in their print version, but the jobs section of their website [www.latintrade.com] points you to the one I gave you. So does Business News Americas [www.bnamericas.com]

You might wish to check the FT [www.ft.com], but I have rarely seen LATAM listings there either.

The lesson is that Carina is essentially correct. My wife and I tried in the late 1990s the type of job searching by e-mail and internet you are now, and concluded then that it was useless for DR-based jobs. Looks like things have not changed all that much, sorry to say.

Best Regards,
Keith