Finding an apartment...

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Cdn Girl said:
Back to my conitinuous search, I never said that my budget is 300$ Cdn, I was just asking how hard it would be.

No you said $400 CDN, and asked in that way implies that that's what you can afford. If you can pay $1,000 US then you won't have a problem.

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Well, to be honest I thought $300 US a month was a pretty long shot too. Even the rats are moving up to better hovels that cost more than that.

Sorry, I meant to say US$

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Defending Las Terrenas

Ok - I don't want to get into it with all the Sosua/POP residents because I am certain that it is lovely over there....... I would just appreciate it if everyone would stop referring to LT as "god-forsaken" or "remote" -- as if POP were the center of the Universe. (OK, maybe it is - but be kind,ok).

As for LT - I am now at Punta de Oro - paying $350 a month for a nice little furnished apartment with maid service twice a week, internet etc.... Soon the European tourists will arrive and flood the town. It is very expensive to eat out here - all the little quaint "fishing shack" type places on the beach have been taken over by Europeans who have come down to make their dreams come true. Which is to say that here is some of the finest dining in the world!! This comes from the mouth of a New Yorker who loves to eat - some of the places are rip offs - a chicken salad plate for $200 RD which was mostly lettuce with a hint of chicken - but you can walk into town and get La Bandera Dominican - rice, beans, salad, side of grilled chicken for $100 RD. (probably it was more for me -- I was the only gringa and I am new)..... If you are French speaking, you might like it. If your $300 CN is just for your room, you can find a place here and survive. If you want to really stretch your money you might consider going to Spanish school in Antigua Guatemala. Not poolside life - but an adventure and very cheap - you will meet people from all over the world there.
The Escuela Francisco Marroquin is the best in town.
Best of luck to you.
Elizabeth

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
The bottom line

Cdn Girl said:
Hello all. My boyfriend and I are planning on coming down to either Puerto Plata or Sosua at the end of December from Ontario Canada and I just have a few quetions I was hoping you could help me with... We are both 21 and just looking to get away for a few months, we've had enough of the cold already and it hasn't even snowed here! First of all, is it a better idea to commit to an apartment over the internet and risk not liking it, or risk the chance of not finding one when we get down there? How hard is it to find a place for around $400 Cdn/month? Must be close to the beach and preferably wtih a pool? Any info, anything at all would be great!

Thanks so much!
Shawna
Figure on spending a minimum of US$2,000.00 month. That's 500 to 600 a month for rent and the balance for food etc. It might be a good idea to have an extra 2 or 3 G's for any unexpected stuff. It's really cheap when you consider it. "Warm weather, beach, etc." Have a nice vacation.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
Hey Shawna,

Watever you do end up finding, let us know. I would love to hear about where you will be staying, and everything else that you are planning. Have an awesome time!!!!!!! :glasses:

Cdn Girl

Oct 21, 2004
Getting excited!!

Well we have finally picked a date, and I'm getting very excited! We are going to wait until we get down there the second week of January to find an apartment, I have spoken to many people (most of them having done the same thing my boyfriend and I are doing) and I am not so worried about being able to find an apartment. Thanks again to all for your help and advice... I'll be sure to keep everyone posted on how our plans are coming.....