Fines for overstaying your VISA ?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i just left on thursday and was told before i even entered the customs "door" in santiago that i'd have to pay 1,000 pesos for my overstay. i already knew it and had it ready. when i got to the table, they tried to charge me for my daughter (who was born in the DR but with an american passport) the same charge. when i pointed out she was dominican, they waived my fee as well. usually if you're nice to them, they'll help you out. no corruption necessary.

Reactions: Black Dog

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i just left on thursday and was told before i even entered the customs "door" in santiago that i'd have to pay 1,000 pesos for my overstay. i already knew it and had it ready. when i got to the table, they tried to charge me for my daughter (who was born in the DR but with an american passport) the same charge. when i pointed out she was dominican, they waived my fee as well. usually if you're nice to them, they'll help you out. no corruption necessary.

that sounds much more like what i experience myself here since a good 15 years. the way we behave is the way people treat us around the globe. DR is on such very easy and smooth going.
some self declared educated and intelligent people on the other side who with all their intelligence never managed to even learn the language or to get some notice about practiced laws/rules/behaviors will of course never experience such, they will just show up and try to explain a imigrations officer in their funny spanglish that they are the kings of kings and sons of higher powers and then they will get ripped of and ****ed around in every possible way. i see such several times a month, where possible i even assist the DR people on it to bash the stu..'s around, b/c they simply deserve no better treatment anyway simply due their selfdeclared education.
when kids are involved like with latecher the best way is always the friendly mommy/daddy family way, works just fine.
end 2006 i came back from europe after a not so long planned visit, my residency expired shortly before i arrived back, the lady at the counter saw the expired date, i said of course a friendly 'howdy' in spanish when i arrived at her desk, she simply smiled and told me that i need to renew the darn thingy, i told her i will do so and did not plan to stay so long, and all been fine, without a Fine of course.
a smile makes just a better world.
who doesn't get that in decades will never get it and never be welcome anywhere, most likely not even back home.
Mike