Fire in Hardrock hotel restaurant

Firefighter

Apr 18, 2014
The area the size of Punta Cana should have a minimum of 6 pumpers, 1 ladder truck and 3 water tankers. Without support of the Hotel Association and businesses of this zone the lives and property will remain in jeopardy. The Bomberos of Punta Cana Veron are only able to do so much without support of the community

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
More Equipment on the Horizon

The area the size of Punta Cana should have a minimum of 6 pumpers, 1 ladder truck and 3 water tankers. Without support of the Hotel Association and businesses of this zone the lives and property will remain in jeopardy. The Bomberos of Punta Cana Veron are only able to do so much without support of the community

The burdens that need to be overcome to attain a full service fully equipped fire department in the tourist zone is politics, self interest groups, and lack of money.

The present working pumper, Carl Eggiman's donation, was facilitated through the Punta Cana - Bavaro Rotary International Club of which he is a member and the work of former Canadian Ambassador, Todd Kuiack. Carl also donated firefighter turn out gear, jaws of life, air tanks, and radio equipment for the locals. His humanitarian work has expanded to Ontarios Firefighters Without Borders organization. He is closely working with Veron's Fire Dept Colonel Alvarez, national authorities, and the FWB organization to acquire more equipment, to include fire trucks for the DR.

Regards,

PJT

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
This is the third fire we had at the Hard Rock. No one was injured in any of them. It is mostly the roof of the Restaurant that burns. I will be in the Hotel today and take a look. It was Isla Restaurant on the beach side near Buildings 1A and 2A.

Good, bro! But, do no get sued! You need some preventive measures!
Good luck

Firefighter

Apr 18, 2014
The burdens that need to be overcome to attain a full service fully equipped fire department in the tourist zone is politics, self interest groups, and lack of money.

The present working pumper, Carl Eggiman's donation, was facilitated through the Punta Cana - Bavaro Rotary International Club of which he is a member and the work of former Canadian Ambassador, Todd Kuiack. Carl also donated firefighter turn out gear, jaws of life, air tanks, and radio equipment for the locals. His humanitarian work has expanded to Ontarios Firefighters Without Borders organization. He is closely working with Veron's Fire Dept Colonel Alvarez, national authorities, and the FWB organization to acquire more equipment, to include fire trucks for the DR.

Regards,

PJT

Carl and his FWB Team presently have a sea container on route to the DR with sufficient support for 900 Bomberos. For less than half the price of a new fire truck, the resorts and businesses could purchase 10 fire trucks to would protect the communities in Punta Cana area

May 29, 2006
It doesn't help that commercial fire and electric codes are apparently non-existent. I wonder if something as standard as an ANSUL suppression system is even available. Something like it is in almost every commercial kitchen in the US. In the DR, they're lucky if there are hood vents or a hand held extinguisher.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
It is quite obvious

It is quite obvious as these resort fires suggest is thatch roofs in a restaurant environment is a risk. The only building code that is conformed with in the tourist zone is no building construction over four stories. It is casually enforced for reason of esthetics and fire ladder equipment cannot extend beyond four floors. Yet, the closest high ladder equipment is in Higuey 35 km distant.

The resorts have minimum required fire prevention systems and fire fighting equipment. Fire fighting systems and equipment improvements for these facilities beyond the minimum are at their own discretion. The Barcelo Resort is wise to have its own pumper truck.

History tells us and it is sad to suggest the only way fire prevention, rigorous fire regulations, standards, are improved, and enforced is when a fire tragedy with multiple casualties befalls locally.

We can thank the likes of Carl Eggiman, Veron fire chief Col. Alvarez, FWB, and Rotary International of having interest to improve the fire response service of the tourist zone and having the future concern for the country as a whole.

Regards,

PJT

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All the thatch roofs in the Hard Rock are being take out. No more fires, hopefully.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Good, bro! But, do no get sued! You need some preventive measures!
Good luck

Lawsuits in the DR are decided by who has more money to spread around, not what actually happened.

May 29, 2006
I get claustrophobic in clubs in the DR when there's just one entrance/exit and zero emergency doors. Even without a fire, if there's an incident like a guy firing off a gun, you can have a stampede for the exit and then people get crushed. There was a bad fire near me about ten years ago when I was living in VT where some band set the place on fire with pyrotechnics. 100 people died. Besides that, I hate being crowded when I want to relax.

The Station nightclub fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Firefighter

Apr 18, 2014
Higuey does not have a high rescue unit. The equipment they have is in need of repair. FWB Canada will be supplying a Pumper that was donated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I get claustrophobic in clubs in the DR when there's just one entrance/exit and zero emergency doors. Even without a fire, if there's an incident like a guy firing off a gun, you can have a stampede for the exit and then people get crushed. There was a bad fire near me about ten years ago when I was living in VT where some band set the place on fire with pyrotechnics. 100 people died. Besides that, I hate being crowded when I want to relax.
The Station nightclub fire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i read about this fire few weeks ago on reddit. there was a link to the video too. very very scary. lots of comments from firefighters, police and so on. someone said this video is used in rescue training and that people who got stuck in the doorway were impossible to move and to be pulled out because their limbs that were on the inside of the building were melting due to the temperature. this put me off going to any locked up clubs.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Coconut Grove 1942

i read about this fire few weeks ago on reddit. there was a link to the video too. very very scary. lots of comments from firefighters, police and so on. someone said this video is used in rescue training and that people who got stuck in the doorway were impossible to move and to be pulled out because their limbs that were on the inside of the building were melting due to the temperature. this put me off going to any locked up clubs.

The birth of modern day US fire safety codes was a result of the 1942 fire at Boston's Coconut Grove nightclub. The place was a tinderbox waiting for a spark. There was a fire and 492 died. Many were trapped and died trying to exit at the revolving door at the front entrance, bodies had jammed the fixture. There were no outward opening doors adjacent to the revolving door. Other exits were bolted shut to prevent non paying customers from entering and windows were boarded up.

This fire is the reason in the states all doors in public and private buildings open outwardly or in both directions and there are outward turning doors that flank revolving doors and emergency exit doors cannot be bolted shut.

You do not observe the same standards here in the DR unless the building owners provide the safety features at their own descretion.

Regards,

PJT