I paid her for all this week,
Dr1 rocks it!
And a tin
H1001167-Tin_of_white_paint-SPL.jpg

LOL

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ya i'm gonna go with the we can't afford her thing which is partly true!! This house is costing a lot more than i thought it would with stuff it needs!

That happens here. And with being on the ocean, you will be amazed about how often things need painting, inverter circuit boards are corroded from salt air, and just the general low quality of things you purchase here to make repairs.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We let her go and it went way better than we expected!!

She tried to stay on for free which I knew she would do but we kept saying no and since I just woke up she thought i was almost going to cry! (I didn't sleep much) So she was very sweet saying no problem no problem.
I don't know if we should be more worried b/c it went so well or not!
I paid her for all this week, which she only worked one day and a month and a half severance. Got it all in writing!
Thank you for all your help!
Dr1 rocks it!

You did good by doing this, although she didn't suit you, she did took care of your house while you were not three. I doubt there will be any problem but I maybe wrong many times before.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
You go to the "Officina De Trabajo" which is not exactly the name but close. It is located in a small house opposite the University O&M in Puerto Plata. You give the lady all the details as to lenght of employment, salary etc. She works out how much you owe.
No need to comlain about the worker. It does not matter what the reasons for dismissals are. You always owe the same amount. The law here is always on the side of the worker. Unless she killed someone in your house and is in prison you owe the same whether she was an excellent worker or stole you blind. Good Luck

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This house is costing a lot more than i thought it would with stuff it needs!

this is only the beginning :) some things simply cos more for quality stuff (fridge, washing machine), some things you did not need in your home country you need here (inversor) and some more things need extra care because of the heat, humidity and the proximity of the ocean (wood and iron).
but you will work things out eventually to optimize what you have :)

big_a

Feb 28, 2013
www.hector.ca
this is only the beginning :) some things simply cos more for quality stuff (fridge, washing machine), some things you did not need in your home country you need here (inversor) and some more things need extra care because of the heat, humidity and the proximity of the ocean (wood and iron).
but you will work things out eventually to optimize what you have :)

yeah ... we're going to go buy WD-40 in bulk!!!

we are directly on the ocean. our pets bowls already have rust spots. looks like everyone's eating outta plastic now :)

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Big_A,

Living on the ocean sucks!! I did it, and even our metal bars on our windows rusted off after like 5 months.. Good luck there!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Big_A,

Living on the ocean sucks!! I did it, and even our metal bars on our windows rusted off after like 5 months.. Good luck there!

Anything metal will need constant attention.

Reminds me of a story about that. Fellow wants to find the best paint he can to paint his metal bars. So they tell him to use epoxy paint. That is a two part paint you where you mix a small can of hardener into the larger can. Normally it is used to paint pools, but in theory it should last longer on metal than an oil paint.

He mixes up a can and starts painting. Does so for a couple of hours and stops. Decides to finish up the next day so he closes the can with more than half of it left. Opens the can the next day to find the paint as hard as a rock. Moral of the story is to mix only as much epoxy paint as you can use in several hours. It hardens quickly after mixed with the hardening agent.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Harleysrock:

I'm glad everything went well. Evidently the feeling was mutual and perhaps she wanted to move on but couldn't figure out how to tell you. So maybe her job performance was a reflection of her feelings to get you to make the move to fire her. Just a theory.

LTSteve

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'm glad to hear you got rid of her! I mentioned to my father what happened with your maid
and he said that if you would've had proof that she stole from you,you would not have been liable by law
to give her any pay.She would not have complained because she knew that you could've pressed
charges and had her locked up for stealing.Also you are only liable to pay severance,vacation pay
if she had worked for you for a year or more.That's why she was so happy and didn't give you a
hassle.

Last edited: