First attempt at Las Terrenas

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The hotel had been closed for some time before the new owners took over and they were still busy finishing the clean up of the place. The hotel does not have much in the way of "grounds". Just a small pool and terrace. The hot tub is up on the roof garden where there is also a small kitchen and toilets. The roof garden was still in the clean up process and not being used. We did go up there to sit and enjoy the view. The rooms were clean and bright with clean sheets and towels. Don't recall seeing any airconditioning. There are ceiling fans and a breeze from the beach. All the hot water we could use. The location is ideal. There is not much to do at the hotel but as a base of operations for exploring Las Terrenas it's perfect.

Reactions: DavidZ

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
My opinion

It seems like a nice hotel, but the area is packed on week-end.
The Disco, bars and restaurants on both sides of a tiny street, lot of people hanging out outside, hookers......
I personally wouldn't choose to stay in that part of town,would be worried about the noise level.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Last time I was there I stayed at the Alisei..it's really nice and just out of the way enough not to be bothered with the noise and congestion of "downtown"/fisherman's village. But...it was a bit of a hike at night or if you just wanted to pop into town for a drink or bite to eat, especially in the rain.

So...for a couple of days of eating, beaching and drinking....this place sounds ideal.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Last time I was there I stayed at the Alisei..it's really nice and just out of the way enough not to be bothered with the noise and congestion of "downtown"/fisherman's village. But...it was a bit of a hike at night or if you just wanted to pop into town for a drink or bite to eat, especially in the rain.

So...for a couple of days of eating, beaching and drinking....this place sounds ideal.

Yeah, if you want to be right in the middle of the action. That is the place.

Last time, I was also staying very close to the Alisei too and now prefer staying on "the other side" of las Terrenas (going towards Popy), it s much more convenient, especially if you don t have any means of transportation.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
It seems like a nice hotel, but the area is packed on week-end.
The Disco, bars and restaurants on both sides of a tiny street, lot of people hanging out outside, hookers......
I personally wouldn't choose to stay in that part of town,would be worried about the noise level.

At the less expensive hotels you sleep with the windows open (screened hopefully) and the fan going. For a few bucks more you stay at a hotel where you can shut out the noise and turn on the air conditioner.
The hotel does sit back off the street a ways. There was noise from the street and one night from the disco but over all it was no worse than at my house in the capitol with the cars going by blaring their music and the dogs barking at anything that moves and of course the calmado down at the corner.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..........The hotel does not have much in the way of "grounds". Just a small pool and terrace. The hot tub is up on the roof garden where there is also a small kitchen and toilets..........

Do the rooms have a safe and frig? Is WiFi available?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
.........So...for a couple of days of eating, beaching and drinking....this place sounds ideal.

I stayed at Caribey Hotel/Condo twice which was way, way more than what I needed. Email response quoted room rates at $110 a night but they were offering a special of $90 a night. I didn't bother to make a reservation as I was not sure what day I would be going to Las Terrenas. I showed up without a reservation on a Friday evening and they gave me the room for $70 USD a night. Caribey is less than a two minute walk from El Tipico Bar.

Next trip I think I will try the place peep2 mentioned.

El Hotel

mac85l.jpg

rk1yr5.jpg

2yx438y.jpg

671d1c.jpg

2n0e95.jpg

bjcxoz.jpg

33aq6af.jpg

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Do the rooms have a safe and frig? Is WiFi available?

Our room had a safe and a small refridgerator. Also a tv with a cable hooked to it but we never turned it on so not sure what the cable was connected to. Their web site mentions wi fi but I never tried that either. Judging from your pics I would say El hotel is more upscale than casa larimar.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Our room had a safe and a small refridgerator. Also a tv with a cable hooked to it but we never turned it on so not sure what the cable was connected to. Don't know about wi fi.

Thanks peep2, safe and frig I have to have. TV is no biggie because most of the time I never turn it on and being so close to the ocean A/C is really not needed. I can probably find a WiFi spot in town.