First Dominican Week in Jamaica is a resounding success

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Semana-Dominicana-en-Jamaica-El-Dia-1024x749.png

With the participation of more than 300 people throughout the week, the presence of 60 Dominican companies and 160 Jamaican companies, Dominican Week in Jamaica took place the last week in February 2023 at the AC Kingston Hotel. The event had an impressive agenda that included high-level political meetings, panels and business rounds, and cultural activities. Dominican ambassador in Jamaica Angie Martinez organized the event for the first time.

The Dominican Embassy took advantage of the occasion to establish the Kingston Dominican Chapter of the Jamaica Chamber of Commerce in the Dominican Republic, marking a new milestone in the history of bilateral relations. The Dominican Week included a First Business Forum.

Attending the events for Jamaica were Prime Minister Andrew Holness; Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Minister Kamina Johnson Smith; Industry, Trade and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This sounds like a delightful junket for the Governnment employees ,going to the home country of great athletes and cricketers but in reality there is very little that the two countries have in common and that is probably why there are only two flights a week between them. In the past , many Englishmen had holiday homes there .including Noel Coward and Ian Fleming , but those days have gone and many people are scared these days of the bad reputation that Jamaica has.

Reactions: windeguy

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This sounds like a delightful junket for the Governnment employees ,going to the home country of great athletes and cricketers but in reality there is very little that the two countries have in common and that is probably why there are only two flights a week between them. In the past , many Englishmen had holiday homes there .including Noel Coward and Ian Fleming , but those days have gone and many people are scared these days of the bad reputation that Jamaica has.
Jamaica is the most racist country I have ever spent time in and I've spent time in a lot of different countries. It's a real ( as the Don would say) "sh*thole" and in my opinion, it should be avoided. There are way better options available for those of you looking to soak up some sun in the tropics with your feet in the sand.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Do you mean racist because the Jamaicans seem to have a dislike to Caucasians ?? The crime is mainly confined to three areas but it does have a wonderful cricket ground that is used as a test cricket venue on a regular basis.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been to Jamaica three times, once as a 16 year old with my class for 10 days in Montego Bay area ( 1972) , once while in the Military (2008) and once to a resort with my wife (2018) Had a wonderful time on all occasions. Stayed with a local family as a 16 year, and they had two lovely daughters that kept me out of trouble. Jamaican food is definitely tasty.