First European Flight at Santiago

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to the rumor mil, Santiago's airport will see its first European flights. Condor, I think they are German, in lieu of the maintenance at POP will be flying to STI from Europe two times a week.

Is this the beginning of European flights to Santiago?

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
According to the rumor mil, Santiago's airport will see its first European flights. Condor, I think they are German, in lieu of the maintenance at POP will be flying to STI from Europe two times a week.

Unreal how POP can be so badly managed/marketed. Now 4-5 % of all flights to DR, PUJ 48%. 20 years ago it was the opposite.

• Wow
Reactions: bachata

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
POP is a government-owned airport. It would be interesting if opinions improve among Condor passengers using STI vs POP, since STI is its own private company.

Last edited:

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
POP is a government-owned airport. It would be interesting if opinions improve among Condor passengers using STI vs POP, since STI is its own private company.

I know that it is a government-owned airport, probably the reason why it sucks. About Condor... Even though POP sucks, I highly doubt the would change to STI, even though landing fees etc. is lower. Condor is charter (1-2 weeks) and I doubt their passengers want to start their vacation with a 2 hour bus drive.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I know that it is a government-owned airport, probably the reason why it sucks. About Condor... Even though POP sucks, I highly doubt the would change to STI, even though landing fees etc. is lower. Condor is charter (1-2 weeks) and I doubt their passengers want to start their vacation with a 2 hour bus drive.
That’s how it is now for us. A two and half hour drive from Santo Domingo to RSJ.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
two hour drive from Santiago to POP. Maybe by horse and buggy.

habi

Oct 17, 2015

The rumor mil....
Condor flys for the time the work goes on at POP to STI. No rumor needed for that it is like that on their website! They are also optimistic about resuming atb POP, fisrt flight again at may 20.! Vamos a ver! :cool:

HDR

Nov 21, 2012

Did not state POP... Sosua/Cabarete with the current road conditions. But ok, 1.45? At that was really not my point. I am pretty sure Condor will still fly POP

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It can be 2 hours - but now that there is less construction on the Imbert to Puerto Plata route it is almost always less but I think they are meaning to destinations East usually served from POP which is now on the 'wrong side' side of the Cangrejo debacle from STI.

Imagine flying in for a month of vacation in Cabarete with a surfboard and large suit case or more plus grumpy kids and trying to schlep that crap across a bridge and hail a taxi who will look at your surfboard and rugrats like they are poison, especially if you speak no Spanish and are not familiar with the value of the peso nor exactly where your final destination is located.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

No, Condor programmed only 2 flights FRA-STI-SDQ-FRA as POP runway will be closed for 10 days, they are repaving to have better conditions to receive european flights, British will start flights into POP.

Reactions: HDR

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Would be nice to see the UK flights again - They've been gone for quite a while
Their flights to PUJ will change with triangulation with ANU, would be intresting if they could do the same with SDQ and POP. My thoughs are they never include SDQ as Iberia serve the Route with Conections and they are same company IAG group.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We're not tourists so this does not really apply to us but unfortunately, at the moment for a family it's much cheaper to travel all the way from POP to PUJ and take Concor from there than go from POP directly.... I do also like the PUJ airport much better than POP... Or STI, much nicer...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My UK living daughter hates/refuses plane changes

Long drive for me from Cabrera to PUJ to get her = PLUS, an overnight !!

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Would be nice to see the UK flights again - They've been gone for quite a while
Yes, I was asking about British Airways and POP on another thread. I've been unable to find out anything concrete although reports mentioned October. Does anyone know anything, I'm desperate not to have to go via Punta Cana?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, I was asking about British Airways and POP on another thread. I've been unable to find out anything concrete although reports mentioned October. Does anyone know anything, I'm desperate not to have to go via Punta Cana?
Meanwhile, you can go to the UK relatively easily from POP with Condor via Germany.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
StI puts all your luggage thru xray on incoming flights. Any expensive items or a few too many of the same item will alert them. Could ruin your vacation. Know people who had to pay big money for having too many phones or perfumes as gifts.

If the items are small enough keep on your person, do so. Think jacket and pants with lots of pockets. Your person does not go thru xray. Once brought in about 20 iPhones