First time in the north...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I've visited the DR about 8 times now, and all to Punta Cana (shame on me...but I sure love the beach!). This time I got a decent deal on Iberostar Costa Dorada and am headed down Feb 15. Does anyone have anything interesting to share about that resort, and/or recommendations on fun things that a 30-ish couple must absolutely do outside of the AI?

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Icd

Hi Matt,

Good choice of hotel. There have been plenty of posts on DR1 and trip advisor but at the end of the day you make you will make your own mind up. However :- Food..great - Staff..excellent (look up Elvis in the "pool" bar and Generosso in the main dining room:they will definitely look after you) - Hotel & Rooms..getting a bit jaded now but was in the process of an ongoing refurb when we visited in July 2008 - Grounds..Excellent, mature and well tended - Beach..Not brilliant and has a tendency to get a lot of seaweed on it but the staff, to their credit, do a good job raking it up every day - Clientele..Well, this was my main complaint this year. When we went it was full of stag/hen/wedding parties who were hell bent on sampling as much of the "all inclusive" lifestyle in as little time as possible, hopefully they will all have gone home by the time you get there. - Places to visit.. not knowing where you have already been, is a difficult one. However go out of the hotel, cross the main road and 100 yards up on the right-hand -side you will find the offices of Isaira Tours run by Martin Espinal who has a full list of excursions you can go on.
Isaira Tours - Martins Website
Iberostar Costa Dorada Feb 2007 - photos of Dominican Republic on Worldisround - Excellent picture site.

Enjoy the ICD !!

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

exttrimmer

Jan 6, 2009
At ICD Jan 11, 1 week

Hey
We will be at ICD for 1 week on Jan 11. Will post about trip when we return.

scrubmuncher

On Vacation!
Jul 6, 2007
I've visited the DR about 8 times now, and all to Punta Cana (shame on me...but I sure love the beach!). This time I got a decent deal on Iberostar Costa Dorada and am headed down Feb 15. Does anyone have anything interesting to share about that resort, and/or recommendations on fun things that a 30-ish couple must absolutely do outside of the AI?

Waterfalls good, take the horses out of the shade, give them a little break from standing in the sun all day!! Get drunk!!

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Vist Rocky,s in SOUSA

And go and see MARCO
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/80859-puerto-plata-places-you-must-have-seen-2.html#post691069
:bunny::cheeky: Discounted drink's for DR1 members :ermm: :laugh:
Just PM rocky he will send you the voucher :laugh:

Samana is very nice it might be a bit far for you it is about 2 hour drive from Playa Dorada
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-east-coast/82013-samana-photo.html#post699836

:bunny:Must be good Robert would not advertise Rubbish:laugh:
Iberostar Costa Dorada - Dominican Republic (DR1)

Have a look here
Dominican Republic Real Estate Tour
And here
Iberostar Costa Dorada (Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic) - Resort Reviews - TripAdvisor

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the tips guys. This is a great community.

@exttrimmer I anxiously await your report :)

exttrimmer

Jan 6, 2009
jan 11- jan 18

Hi Matt

Just getting settled after our return from the ICD. I will try to be as objective as I can, remembr this is only my opinion. My only comparison is 3 trips to 5 stars in the mayan Riviera.

Wife and I departed 6:10 Sunday Morning with inclement weather. Arrived in the sunshine around 11:30. Took my own fishing rods hoping to catch something from beach or wading to reef. Sunwing missplaced rods for 6 hrs, deliverd to resort. Back to fishing later.

Make sure you purchase tourist entry card $10/ person. Some tour companies supply on plane ours didnt. Also when getting luggage at airport carousel dont let anyone grab your stuff to "help you" it will only cost you cash.There is another form to fill out before you leave luggage area to goto buses. Just follow your tour reps handsigns to your bus. Enjoy the ride to resort. ICD is one of the last stops, goes thru playa dorada first then to costa dorada. Also need to have departure ticket stamped for 20US only, this done 1 hour before flight leaves at weeks end

Resort
Resort is beautiful but dated, very few mosquitos. Check-in very smooth, greeted with rum based drink. We emailed down earlier and requested bldg 5 3rd flr facing ocean and got it. Staff were very friendly especially to return clients, some as many as 15-16 times, most 2nd or 3rd time. Lobby bar and show bar ( Ricardo does both.) are the best, lunch restaurant by pool, next and small one by beach the worst. Pool is nice, beach is not the greatest. If you get sun get out early. Winds pick up around 11:00 AM and blow sand. Water is not crystal clear (Atlantic Ocean), some seaweed and tide affects depth and strength of waves. Life guard and flag system in use. This is rainy season ( till mid March) so accept what Mother nature brings. We had 2 days sun, 3 days cloudy with some sun early in day.1 1/2 days rain.
Room's kept clean with towel animals on beds each day. We had 1 king and a couch patio table outside 2 chairs outside. AC worked, patio door has sensor for AC. Showers just a tub with shower head. Fridge stocked with 6 water 2 sparkling water, coke diet coke, fanta orange, sprite, and 4 bramha beers.
Food- main buffet is good with good selection, and variety. Lamb legs, turkey, pork and beef all carved on different nites. Lobster 1 nite, peel and eat shrimp 1 nite. Menus posted dailey at breakfast. Lunch only at pool restaurant. Ala cartes- ate at all three. Mexican OK, Brazilian amazing, you get all seven differnt meats not just 1, carpaccio good, seafood is good

Tours- do the city tour from the bell hop $50. make taxi take you where you want to go not where he wants to take you. Brugal rum factory OK cable car amazing, Ocean world maybe but go for the day not as part of the tour. Fort, town square. Taxi guy gets kick backs every place he takes you so be aware. Some places roll own cigars for you to watch. If you want Monte cristos or Hupmanns make sure they have govt hologram on case to confirm authenticity.Shopping- people are EXTREMELY pushy, will not take no for a answer. Be prepared to HAGGLE hard for the price you want to pay. This was biggest turn off on whole trip, actually fightened wife Horseback riding is a good deal if you like horses, monster truck is good, and small 4x4 is muddy but good, take head scarf to use as face mask.

Fishing- country is very poor, 400,000 people in/ around Peurto Plata. Fished every morning for 1-2 hrs only caught 3 fish. Snorkelrd for 6 hrs over the week and only saw 6 fish. people fish for food. talked to # of people on resort that had gone deep sea fishing, they said is was a 4 hr boat ride for $80US. # of them got sea sick as well.

If you have weight to spare in luggage take small kids knapsacks with pencils crayons paper erasers small toys, shoes old soccer uniforms, basesball gloves and equipment.If you go on horse back excursion you stop at school in country side. They can always use material at these schools.

All in all trip was alright just not outstanding

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
You have to go to playa grande

I don't know how far it is but I live in Cabrera, small town. Playa rande and more beaches around. If you take a public bus, it will cost you almost nothing. Just inform yourself on the pricesto get there. good luck;)

drroyal2000

Aug 22, 2004
Go to playa grande read this one

I don't know how far it is from your resort. I have a place in Cabrera (1.5 hours from sosua), small town. Playa Grande (15 minutes west of cabrera) is one of the most beautiful beaches in the central north coast and there are more beaches around.
In Cabrera, there is a beach called El Caleton de Cabrera. It's a beautiful beach to go snorkling and swimming. There is a rich lady that cleans up the beach (her workers, hahaha) every day. It's awesome, no one selling you stuff, no crowds and clean. You ask where Orchid Bay is, there is a side road, beside there private entrance of there community. There are small not expensive hotel in that town if you spend the night, if you need contact names, let me know.
You can take a public bus, it will cost you almost nothing, maybe around $250 pesos. Just get some info on the prices. good luck;)
P.S. Get out and enjoy the real DR, not just resorts. It is safe, don't listen to the resort people. They only want you to spend the money in there resorts.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Thanks for the review, extrimmer. Who should I email for room requests? Is the block you indicated the best one to try for?

Status
Not open for further replies.