First timers

painkiller

Aug 4, 2009
Hi all - Wife and I will be traveling to DR in January 2010. Have a week booked at Lupron Resort and a week in Puerto Plata at the Blue Bay Getaway.

2 questions:

What's the best way to rent a car at Puerto Plata airport area.

Need driving directions/landmarks for Puerto Plata to Lupron.

Thanks!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Hertz & Avis are both at the airport so you can pre-book a car on line. Airport to Luperon is very srtaight forward. Exit the airport and turn right onto the main highway and that will take you straight through Puerto Plata and on to Luperon.
Have a good trip!

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi all - Wife and I will be traveling to DR in January 2010. Have a week booked at Lupron Resort and a week in Puerto Plata at the Blue Bay Getaway.

2 questions:

What's the best way to rent a car at Puerto Plata airport area.

Need driving directions/landmarks for Puerto Plata to Lupron.

Thanks!

While I recognize you want to be independent travellers, it is not usually recommended as "first timers" to rent a car....not sure where you hail from but driving in the DR is...lets say...different and not for the faint of heart.

Just to expand a bit on Black Dogs's directions, once you continue along the main road after exiting the airport, you will reach Imbert (after PP, Cofresi, Maimon). Here you will make a right but depending on your level of Spanish, you will likely need to get some assistance as there isnt signage to the hotel (Luperon Beach Resort).

To be honest, you may be better off paying a taxi and have the hotel arrange one after the end of your first week to get you to Blue Bay Getaway Villas Dorada.

Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
drloca is NOT loca!

What I mean is that first timers are urged not to drive. The possibilities of some issue cropping up and ruining your holiday are numerous and so outlandish you would not believe some of them.

Use taxis, which after careful bargaining, will be much cheaper and safer actually, than driving yourself in a rental. The same goes for excursions...leave the driving to "them" ...

have a wonderful time, Bring lots of sun block and bug repellent, the mosquitoes love "new blood" ...

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Take HB's advice and don't drive on your first visit. Let me just say that it took me two VERY minor car crashes to get USED TO how people drive in the DR. Now...I can drive with my eyes closed (wait, that's impossible there). With all the motor bikes, ol wrecks driving insanely around...uggghhhhhh it takes getting used to.

painkiller

Aug 4, 2009
Oh....

Thanks for all the info folks...guess I should've mentioned I've done a good bit of Island driving in the past, been to VI's and Antigua more times than I can count but...... the Wife has also suggested we taxi. Need to sort this one out a bit. Any idea what the fare would be for taxi from POP to Lupron? Thanks again!

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
A taxi from pop airport to Imbert is 70 dollars US so figure double. If You are going to drive it is proberly one of the most easy destinations to get to. Out of Airport make a right keep going straight about 15 min you will come to a round a bout, keep left and then right following traffic. straight one more time in about 15 min you will start to leave pp. keep straight you will go through maimon and in about 10 more min u will see a sign that says Luperon. Make a hard right and take that road all the way till lUPERON YOU WILL GO THRU MANY SMALL TOWNS dont worry

Now driving is not the same as many other places but if your like me then do it

Good luck PM me if you need anything