First Visit to Santo Domingo

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Hard to say, smaller cheaper and well known by many.... That was my first online booking stay 5 years ago and it came with a $20 airport pickup. The informal taxi driver turned out to be a seasoned deportee with a huge repertoire of no good tricks. Was a quick wakeup call and intro to the lowest of lowlifes. The hotel owner and hotel was ok!

Expat 13, you can't just leave us hanging with that teaser. Like what, for instance?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pan", here's a favorite of the "Taxistas", they quote you one price, then intimidate you into paying more when you reach your destination.
They get a % of whatever you spend in any restaurant, bar, nightclub, whore house,and some"Tourist Trap" stores where they take you.
They ask you to buy some "Gasoline" but then expect the full fare.
They NEVER have change!
When you go to a bar, or restaurant, they invite themselves to be your guest!
They are all your "Mejor Amigo" for a price.
AND, the absolute WORST, are, as has been said, the returned "Dominican Jerks"!
Call Apollo Taxi, and ask the dispatcher for the "Tarifa" to & from your destination, then pay that!
If the taxi driver asks for more, make him call the dispatcher.
He won't want to, and he'll take the money you offered!
In the DR, to survive, you have to "Out Tigre The Tigres"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
We are taking the Metro bus from Sosua on Tuesday getting in around 2pm. Staying at Renaissance Jaguar.
Flying out next morning.
We spend all the time on the North Coast and it's time we learn Santo Domingo.
What should cab to Jaguar cost?
Then want to go to Colonial Zone and maybe grab late lunch or coffee. Can we walk there or should we take cab? What to see in the Colonial Zone? Or any other places you suggest going?
Where should we have cab drop us off?
Any live music on Tuesday anywhere?
Any tips on security in Santo Domingo i.e how late can one walk the malecon etc.
Cab next day to SDQ should cost about how much?

Agreed, Apollo is a good taxi company with fair rates, though they have recently risen. Expect to pay Apolo between RD$180 and $220 for a ride anywhere in the city. Cabs at hotels will seek RD $250 and up - ask and negotiate. Walking on Maelecon is safe in day but expect to be harrassed by tour guides who spot a visitor a mile out. I find it a bit long and suggest you get aa cab and save the feet for La Zona. In Zona Colonial - best meal is still at Pate Palo across from Diego Colon's house - dinner for two with a couple of drinks will cost you $60 to $100. A great low cost meal can be had at Segafredo or now called SegaZona. They have a Mexican restaurant as well as Italian. You can order from either menu. Happy hour everynight until 8PM - 2 for 1 starting at RD $170. Gppd pizza, pasta, Chix Burrito's, Loaded Nachos. Not expensive as dishes average RD $300. Have fun, next trip consider staying in Zona Colonial.

Aug 6, 2006
"NO WAY" would I, or should you, go out of the airport to get a taxi, or a "GuaGua"!
Not during the day, and NEVER, EVER at night!
If your life ain't worth $40 US, don't come!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Put $40 in your shirt pocket to pay when you arrive at your destination.
You don't have to take out your wallet, or "Wad" that way!
When they ask for more, you can say, "No Tengo Mas"!

AND, take your own bags to the taxi on the cart available at baggage claim!

======================================================
I have gone into and out of the airport as I described six times with no problems, though not after dark. 400 pesos out and about 300 into SDQ, that comes to $7.25 to $9.60.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
======================================================
I have gone into and out of the airport as I described six times with no problems, though not after dark. 400 pesos out and about 300 into SDQ, that comes to $7.25 to $9.60.

Youre wasting alot of time doing that. Go upstairs to the drop-off area, someone will gladly take you back to the city for 800-900 pesos.

Aug 6, 2006
Youre wasting alot of time doing that. Go upstairs to the drop-off area, someone will gladly take you back to the city for 800-900 pesos.

=====================================
And how would I recognize this "someone"? I do not dispute what you say, but you provide no details.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com

Or just call ahead and have one of the taxistas you met on the last trip pick you up. I started to do this now so I don't have to go upstairs.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
two museums worth seeing in the Zona one of Larimar.. and the other the Museo de Casas Reales. Yes, it is worth it to take a guide for a walking tour.

I prefer the restaurant on the parque colon for people watching

and Mason de Bari for food

Not a lot happening on Tuesday night.

It will be a twenty minute walk from the Jaragua to the Zona. Taxis From the Jaragua will be more than Apollo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What happens upstairs? Taxis dropping off. Perhaps a taxi dropping off?

Exactly - upstairs is the Departures, so taxis dropping off passengers. If you grab one up there, they're more apt to make a deal, so they don't have to go downstairs and get in line and wait for a fare.

Aug 6, 2006
There are some guaguas that drop off airport employees as well, if you want to wait, so they tell me.

It is the same everywhere: if you do what everyone does, you get what everyone gets. In this case you get to pay $40 or more for a ride into town if you flag a cab downstairs.