FITUR 2022 was a big success for DR tourism

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Ministerio-de-Turismo-premio-mejor-stand-Listin-Diario-e1643122330163.jpeg

The Dominican Republic was the big winner at the 2022 International Tourism Fair (FITUR) held in Madrid all last week. How big? Commitments for US$2.0 billion in investments is a good start. Dominican and foreign companies signed agreements to invest more in tourism in the country.

The signing of new air and tour operator agreements and the renewal of older agreements was impressive. Tourism Minister David Collado renewed the agreement with Iberia Airlines to promote the Dominican Republic as a destination from the 90 cities served by Iberia. The promotions include in-flight videos, the Iberia magazine Ronda Iberia, as well as promotion on the Iberia website. It also includes additional seats on new frequencies to the DR.

Another deal was signed with the Corte Ingles Travel Agency, one of the largest in Europe, which guarantees 200,000...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tee

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
With Abinader's background in tourism the DR could benefit immensely with his experience. I feel that many more good things are coming to this country and hopefully we will have more development here on the north coast. Puerto Plata is better than ever and Sosua and Cabarete are both starting to look really nice. Still quite a ways to go but definitely heading in the right direction. We may just have the right government to bring this beautiful country to the level it deserves. Having lived here 18 years I have seen many changes but I really think that now is the time that we will see some major changes.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The focus on Tourism remains on the south and southeast parts of the DR. Bringing major tourism back to the north (Puerto Plata through Cabarete area) is an effort I don't think anyone will be successful with. Cruise ships are the latest and greatest for the north coast. That and more houses being built for Expats and Snowbirds.

Reactions: Gadfly and Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The focus on Tourism remains on the south and southeast parts of the DR. Bringing major tourism back to the north (Puerto Plata through Cabarete area) is an effort I don't think anyone will be successful with. Cruise ships are the latest and greatest for the north coast. That and more houses being built for Expats and Snowbirds.
Sosua and Cab are has-been's. Thats why one can get a hotel room in either town for 40 dollars a night any day of the week. In Naples FL certain hotels are booked solid for months at the ridiculous amount of 1500.00 a night. People are back to spending big travel money, just not in Cab.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
With Abinader's background in tourism the DR could benefit immensely with his experience. I feel that many more good things are coming to this country and hopefully we will have more development here on the north coast. Puerto Plata is better than ever and Sosua and Cabarete are both starting to look really nice. Still quite a ways to go but definitely heading in the right direction. We may just have the right government to bring this beautiful country to the level it deserves. Having lived here 18 years I have seen many changes but I really think that now is the time that we will see some major changes.
One thing that hasn't been talked about in the forums is the plan for the resurgence of tourism in Puerto Plata. Playa Bergantin which included much of the cane fields between the ocean and the highway right next to Playa Dorada was bought by Banreservas. Several luxury resorts are planned for the area in addition to a new golf course, the movie studios by Vin Diesel. This is suppose to be a major impulse for tourism on the north coast.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
One thing that hasn't been talked about in the forums is the plan for the resurgence of tourism in Puerto Plata. Playa Bergantin which included much of the cane fields between the ocean and the highway right next to Playa Dorada was bought by Banreservas. Several luxury resorts are planned for the area in addition to a new golf course, the movie studios by Vin Diesel. This is suppose to be a major impulse for tourism on the north coast.

The one time I visited I really liked PP. Very clean and nice. I'm going back for another visit in March.

If I'm not mistaken, Playa Dorada is a bit east of the city itself. As long as they keep the development there and not ruin the city, it should be fine.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
All of that could have some small impact on tourism, but it will never be back to the numbers where it was on the north coast.
Luxury Resorts for the 1 percenters notwithstanding. The numbers in such resorts would hardly cause a "resurgence" .

Is there still a 3rd cruise ship port in the cards for Playa Bergantin as well? That was discussed pre-CV19 as if it was going to happen.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cruise Ships

At least 3 past Cabo Frances Viejo yesterday... I saw 3 - there may have been more
The oldest lighthouse in the New World - for those who didn't know

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The one time I visited I really liked PP. Very clean and nice. I'm going back for another visit in March.

If I'm not mistaken, Playa Dorada is a bit east of the city itself. As long as they keep the development there and not ruin the city, it should be fine.
Playa Dorada is within the city limits of Puerto Plata, but it ends immediately east of the complex. The development of Bergantín will be in that area which currently is mostly cane fields and islands of scattered forests.