Five local hotels included in list of Small luxury hotels

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Rob and i went back to our seats and not so much sat down, as fell into them. I took a gander around the room to see if there was anything else to eat. there was nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. We consumed everything in site. I looked towards the kitchen door. The kitchen crew stood in the doorway staring at us in horror; two of them were snapping photos of the buffet table.

When the manager came out of the kitchen--the kitchen crew were pointing at us--he stormed right up to the table and looked directly at Rob (he is the fatter of us two and looks like Freddy Mercury if Freddy had gained 250lbs) and said, "You go now! Now!" he shouted. Rob and i looked at one another and started laughing.
"Why?" I asked.
"You eat like killer whale!" he shouted.

I looked over at the kitchen crew, they were piled in the doorway of the kitchen staring at us and snapping pictures with their phones. The women had their hands over their chests clutching their rosaries. They looked at us in horror.
"You go now!" the manager shouted again.
"ok, ok, tranquilo, brother." i answered.

The manager stood over us pointing at the exit. I grabbed my stuff off the floor and headed towards the steps. it was the walk of shame. I looked back, Rob was having trouble getting up; I went back and gave him a hand. We started heading towards the exit, wobbling back and forth like Umpa Lumpa's from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. All eyes were on us. I admit it was a bit embarrassing to be getting kicked out of an all-you-can-eat-buffet, but you know, honestly, i've been kicked out of nicer establishments in my life--i.e-a Bingo Hall in downtown Oslo, Norway in 93, a stripper club in Vegas in 99, Passions in Sosua in 08, Aspen Dental office in Dayton, Ohio last week.

On our way past the pool, i saw the front desk clerk from yesterday--the one who quoted Rob & I only $80 a night--and stopped him and said, "Yesterday, when you were showing fat Freddy Mercury and me the room, you mentioned the price of the room...do you remember how much you quoted us?"
"Yes, i remember distinctly that i told Fat Freddy Mercury that it's $180 per night," he answered in perfect Spanglish.

Rob and i looked at each other and started laughing. Then i leaned over and whispered in his ear, "You see your manager standing back there at the restaurant staring at us right now?"
"Yes," he answered, looking over at him.
"He just got finished apologizing profusely to Fat Freddy Mercury and me. He said that he was very, very sorry about the misunderstanding we just had in the restaurant and that we could take "one thing" of our choosing from the hotel lobby. Could you please roll up that hand-made Turkish carpet in the Foyer and put it on the back of the red motorcycle?"
"Right now?" he asked.
"Yes, right now. Thank you," i answered, handing him $100 pesos.

Rob and I took off and headed back to Cabarete, driving 5 hours. To this day, when you walk into Jose O'Shay's upstairs office in Cabarete, you will see the hand-made Turkish carpet on the floor. Above the Turkish carpet is a picture of Fat Freddy Mercury (Rob) and I.

IMG_0227_zps4b1bbcab.jpg

DSC05214_zpse6f6ada7.jpg

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Harleys?! You know the definition of a Harley? "Harley's are the most effective way of producing noise without the side effect of horsepower."

True, but horsepower causes deaths, while loud pipes save lives.

Great story although the ending was a little disappointing.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
$$$

you see? this is what i am talking about! this sort of news should be on the first pages of all dominican newspapers so i could report something positive!

Yes,
Frank does have a wicked sense of humour.
Funny how luxury can be found in many places with sufficient funds, even in the DR.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Update:

I forgot to mention that after Rob and i got on our bikes and began our 5 hour journey back to Cabarete, Rob was hit with a terrible case of diarrhea along the journey. I believe it was from the stick of butter that he and i split in half and then ate.

About 1 hour into the journey, near Azua--along highway 2, we had to pull over to the side of the road. Rob squatted behind a cactus bush. It was terrible. it was hot, i had my helmet on, and Rob didn't have any toilet paper. I remember Rob sort of walking like a crab with his motorcycle pants down around his ankles as he tried to find higher ground and get away from the diarrhea trail that he was leaving behind him. It looked like the trail a snail leaves behind him as it slowly scoots across the ground, only it was diarrhea.

I started laughing, and said, "Rob, what the F&*k are you doing, man?"
"The diarrhea is splashing on my shoes!" he shouted, and continued scooting along the rocks.

I couldn't help it...I starting laughing hysterically.

"Quick, grab that taco bell bag from my bag and hand it to me!" he shouted.
"Ok," i answered and started rifling through his backpack.

I found a large bag of soft tacos that he had brought with him as emergency food for the journey. I took a a few steps forward and saw a trail of what looked like entrails zig-zagging all the way around the corner to where he was still seated in a squat like position, splashing diarrhea on everything within a 5 meter radius. i threw the bag over to him and walked back to the bikes. I could see from around the corner that he was unwrapping the soft tacos and dumping everything out--the meat, cheese, lettuce, and tomato. everything. he dumped it all out. Why? I turned around and looked down the long stretch of highway.

For those of you who have not been on this stretch highway--between Azua and Barahona along highway 2--it's beautiful. It looks like southern California. it's arid, dry, and filled with tall, large, cactus's trees, scrub brush and wild flowers. Wild flowers are everywhere. It doesn't even look like its part of the DR. it's very, very dry, very sunny, and scorching hot. the asphalt buckles in many places, and even the lizards run for shade here in the southwest.

Rob came back and we jumped back on the highway. We were moving along quite nicely and making good time. we were averaging around 90mph along highway 2. Before we got to Bani, Rob signaled for me to pull over. he was waving his hand wildly up and down, urgently pulling overand nearly running over me. he came to an immediate stop. I saw him take off running with his taco bell bag and unbuckling his motorcycle pants at the same time as he was running along a washed out river basin. Suddenly he stopped and squatted down and immediately started going to the bathroom on the hot rocks. There was steam coming off the splashing of diarrhea onto the rocks. He didn't even have time to make it over to a Cyprus tree and its shade. i tried to stare down the highway in order to give him some privacy. Suddenly, i heard rocks being shuffled around. i looked back and Rob was crawling like a crab on all fours with his motorcycle pants down around his ankles. it looked absurd, bizarre frightening, and inhuman all at the same time. He was trying to make it over to the shade, but the tree was 15 yards away from him. Why didn't he just pull his pants up and walk over?

It turned out that he couldn't stand up because the diarrhea was too bad. So he just crawled along the river basin on all fours like a crab until he reached the shade.

I was burning up in the sun. i had my camouflage leather vest on and my helmet. taking the helmet off would expose me to the scorching sun. but leaving it on made me sweat profusely. i was miserable. i looked over at Rob and he was unrolling soft taco shells and dumping all the contents onto the scorching rocks again. Why?

10 minutes later he came back to his bike and we jumped back on highway 2. We passed Bani and were almost in San Cristobal when he urgently flagged me down again. He came to a screeching halt, and before his bike was even on the kickstand, he was sprinting like Carl Lewis for some scrub brush and cactus's. He was unbuckling his pants as he ran. It looked crazy. Suddenly, before he even got into a full squat, he started letting out the diarrhea in a showering, a blanketing of everything around him. He blanked everything withing a 5 meter radius of his feet. He showered wile poor flowers with diarrhea. He showered the cactus's and scrub brush with his diarrhea; he showered everything around him in its entirety. It was like a nuclear attack, only more thorough. It was the revenge of the Blob. and when he was done, nothing would be untouched around him.

He screamed for me to bring over his taco bell bag. he didn't have time to grab it in his haste. i went into his backpack again and pulled it out and looked inside the bag...there was only 3 soft tacos left. I went over to him, tip-toeing around the trail of diarrhea that he left behind. I threw the Taco bag over to him. it landed near him, but he had crawl over to it. I felt bad for him. My stomach was fine. In fact, i was starting to get hungry again.

I walked back up to the highway and two cars had stopped to see if we were Ok. I said yes, but i was paranoid of being robbed alongside the highway. I mean, we were putting ourselves in a very vulnerable position here by stopping along side the highway in the middle of no where. I was talking to a group of Dominicans when some motoconchos came up and stopped next to rob and my bike. The Dominicans were looking at our bikes--Rob drives a KTM 950SM and i was driving my Honda CBR 1000RR. Dominicans are fascinated by big motorcycles. i looked over at Rob, he was unraveling the soft tacos and dumping all of the contents out onto the scorching rocks.

The Dominicans were still looking at the bikes and not really paying much attention to Rob. This got me more paranoid, and i started to try and hurry rob up. I looked over at Rob, and for the love of god, Rob was taking the soft taco shell and using it as toilet paper. he carefully unraveled the taco, dumping the contents, and then using the soft taco shell as toilet paper. I started laughing. we all started laughing. how could you not? I mean this was pure, unmitigated genius. I don't know what else to call it? I've seen a few McGyver scenarios with zip-ties and electrical tape, but this was right up there with Einstein...and wasn't he some kind of genius?

When Rob came back to the bikes, i said, "Brother, did i just see you use soft tacos as toilet paper?"
"Yeah, why?" he answered as if it was the most common thing in the world.
"How many soft tacos did you have in that bag?"
"I don't know, about seven. Why?"
"Why? i asked chuckling. "I don't know...maybe because it's the best McGyver trick i've ever seen! Did you learn that in the Air Force? Is that what they teach you in the service...never go anywhere without Soft Tacos--they both feed you and save your butt at the same time?" i asked chuckling.

"Look, I'm trained in survival techniques. You understand? It's my job. What you don't understand is that Soft tacos are covered with a thin layer of sour cream and mayonnaise. When you wipe your butt, the sour cream and mayonnaise stays behind and relieves the pain on your butt--it acts as a anti-septic and anti-itching cream. It relives pain; it's like Vasoline, only better. It feels good, and oh, yeah...it's a disinfectant as well."
"Really, a disinfectant?"
"Yeah, you could call it that," he said, laughing, pulling out his last soft taco and offering it to me.

Love frank