Fivefingers is in town. SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
This should not be too hard. If the husband can make 15-18 k a month they can use that month for rent in somewhere"respectable " like Alma Rosa plus utilities. If the wife can make 40k a month they can cover food, school and a small car loan. If she has even 10 k of online income plus another 30 k from call center work they will survive at the begining and with time be able to move forward.

I think that it wont be easy but it could be a lot worse and with time their situation will improve

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I should add that the scenario mentioned above places you in the lower middle class range of Dominican Society. There are lots of folks that work hard, save and improve their situations in similar circumstances. You will probably be able to take vacations each year and give your kids a decent education.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
yes but i got job offers all the time at home too, I just don't understand 7 years of not being able to find a job. Sure it may not be the one you want but there are jobs out there!

I assume that she means that she cannot find a very high salary job (corresponding with her education). There are always jobs out there.

In the end its not about what you know but who you know!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What ??

May be in Spain or Greece

But elsewhere in Europe, or at least in France and UK, every one I know work.
The ones who don't, it s their choice.

I speak no German but if I was to move there, I have no doubt that I would find a job within a year. (Right DonP ? :))

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Choosy Beggars

I assume that she means that she cannot find a very high salary job (corresponding with her education). There are always jobs out there.

Beggars can't be choosers.
Nowadays, however,.....

beggarchecks_zpsw4hxrlbn.jpeg

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The important question is,....How much money do you have to spend each month??????
That has the biggest influence on weather or not you like living here.
I spent 20,500 pesos on my electric bill last month, last weeek I gought 2 truck loads of water at 1,400 pesos each, next month I will pay 20,000 pesos quarterly health insurance bill, school starts next month, I have two at university, and two in private grade school.

If I didn't have money to pay for all of the above, and MUCH MORE, I would not be living here!!!!

PLUS, Santo Domingo Este,... SUCKS!!!!!!!!

So how much do you have to spend to be HAPPY IN SD?????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You should have listened to the DR1ers!!!!!

You can't come here without a job paying international wages, and expect to find that kind of job after you arrive.!!!!!

Apr 7, 2014
I can't either, not even trying ever I get offered jobs all the time, HERE!!!!
enhanced-buzz-21720-1328072312-135.jpg

Im giving you the beady eyes. I know where they are coming from. Upstate New York isnt like New York City. Up there you have 40+ counties in economic despair. There is an overt reason you dont see illegal immigration in Upstate New York like you do in other states. Those poor white folks wont tolerate it.

Dildo Scroggins, Country Music Star for Middle Earth

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
it is very difficult to go back to the country of your birth after being away for a protracted period of time. that is the precise reason i did not go back to Jamaica. there is no such thing as welcome home, Prodigal Son. you are the sellout, the guy who did not stay home to fight the good fight. you are getting no breaks. they are going to make it tough enough for you to want to leave again.

Down here it is worse. If you made it to "nueva yol" or europe and have to return to DR, they see you as a failure. I have known dominicans that would stay in the bronx, living in an apt with 8 people, working menail jobs rather than go home and buy a taxi to live better off in many ways.
A dominican that owns a salon or colmado or cafeteria in DR can likely live better than most dominicans working menial jobs in nueva yol.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Down here it is worse. If you made it to "nueva yol" or europe and have to return to DR, they see you as a failure. I have known dominicans that would stay in the bronx, living in an apt with 8 people, working menail jobs rather than go home and buy a taxi to live better off in many ways.
A dominican that owns a salon or colmado or cafeteria in DR can likely live better than most dominicans working menial jobs in nueva yol.

thanks you, rafael, for hitting the nail squarely on the head. every time i hear a Dominican telling me that he or she wants to go to Nueba Yol, i tell them to stay put right where they are, and fight the fight right here.

whenever i go back to visit my old homeland, it strikes me that all the guys who went to school with me, and stayed put back home, are living far better lives than i could ever hope to live in the USA. if i had stayed home and put in the same amount of effort, i would have been far better off, both materially and emotionally. i will not even begin to talk about the satisfaction i would have felt. i had good jobs with a few major corporations, and was fairly comfortable from an economic standpoint, but i cannot understand how a guy who drives a carrito, has a 5th grade education, and does not speak a word of english, believes he will be better off in the USA.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
thanks you, rafael, for hitting the nail squarely on the head. every time i hear a Dominican telling me that he or she wants to go to Nueba Yol, i tell them to stay put right where they are, and fight the fight right here.

whenever i go back to visit my old homeland, it strikes me that all the guys who went to school with me, and stayed put back home, are living far better lives than i could ever hope to live in the USA. if i had stayed home and put in the same amount of effort, i would have been far better off, both materially and emotionally. i will not even begin to talk about the satisfaction i would have felt. i had good jobs with a few major corporations, and was fairly comfortable from an economic standpoint, but i cannot understand how a guy who drives a carrito, has a 5th grade education, and does not speak a word of english, believes he will be better off in the USA.

My wife just had some major revelations on our trip to the US. She had started studying english down here 7 years ago. She speaks very little because the schools are less than great and since my spanish is pretty good we never speak english.I have been hard on her at times to learn english.
She now sees how limited options are by not speaking english. Even in Miami. She wants to work in a salon and eventually maybe open one. We stayed in downtown miami, midtown manhattan, long island, orlando and new orleans. She now realizes none of the salons in nicer areas would likely hire her if she only spoke spanish. If she spoke both languages it would be a big advantage, but now is a disadvantage.
We would go to salons in the dominican neighborhoods, and for the most part they are pretty run down, with no idea on how to treat customers etc.
In washington heights the salon owner said in an agressive tone of voice "que tu quieres"? No how can I help you, no niceties at all.

In a bar in Miami she commented on how she could work as a waitress while getting her cosmetology license in FL. This after seeing the tips they make.
I asked her how many of our waitresses don't speak english? The russian, the cuban, the jamaican all spoke english. In fact only the cuban spoke spanish. I explained that she could maybe work in kitchen or wash dishes. No a big smile on her face.

She met an uber driver that had a job that paid 30 bucks per hour but lost it for lack of english. Lots of examples.

I explained that if I take the position that people that live in US need to learn the language I get called a racist. I then explained that if a dominican in NY speaks no english after being there 20 years, has zero impact on my life. I speak spanish and can communicate fine if someone lacks english. However it has s severe negative impact on the people refusing to learn the language.

As for jamaica. . .even I don't understand the "english" down there. Couldn't care less as long as the beer is cold and the jerk is hot.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My wife just had some major revelations on our trip to the US. She had started studying english down here 7 years ago. She speaks very little because the schools are less than great and since my spanish is pretty good we never speak english.I have been hard on her at times to learn english.
She now sees how limited options are by not speaking english. Even in Miami. She wants to work in a salon and eventually maybe open one. We stayed in downtown miami, midtown manhattan, long island, orlando and new orleans. She now realizes none of the salons in nicer areas would likely hire her if she only spoke spanish. If she spoke both languages it would be a big advantage, but now is a disadvantage.
We would go to salons in the dominican neighborhoods, and for the most part they are pretty run down, with no idea on how to treat customers etc.
In washington heights the salon owner said in an agressive tone of voice "que tu quieres"? No how can I help you, no niceties at all.

In a bar in Miami she commented on how she could work as a waitress while getting her cosmetology license in FL. This after seeing the tips they make.
I asked her how many of our waitresses don't speak english? The russian, the cuban, the jamaican all spoke english. In fact only the cuban spoke spanish. I explained that she could maybe work in kitchen or wash dishes. No a big smile on her face.

She met an uber driver that had a job that paid 30 bucks per hour but lost it for lack of english. Lots of examples.

I explained that if I take the position that people that live in US need to learn the language I get called a racist. I then explained that if a dominican in NY speaks no english after being there 20 years, has zero impact on my life. I speak spanish and can communicate fine if someone lacks english. However it has s severe negative impact on the people refusing to learn the language.

As for jamaica. . .even I don't understand the "english" down there. Couldn't care less as long as the beer is cold and the jerk is hot.

actually, what you hear from the Jamaicans you encounter in the country is not really english. it is patois. fear not. i don?t understand much of it myself.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
actually, what you hear from the Jamaicans you encounter in the country is not really english. it is patois. fear not. i don?t understand much of it myself.

Patois I understand zero but even some cab drivers english I can't make out. Same with New Orleans Cajuns, Newfies in Canada and the truck stop attendant in arkansas that had to ask me 10 times "youwannasagwida", before I relaized she said "do you want a sack with that". I am from NY and we call them baaags not bags. . .bags. . .so sack threw me for a loop.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Back to OP. You can have some fun on limited budget. Not sure what part you are in in "aquel lado" but on las americas where it meets charles degaul and avenida espana is an over pass. Puente Juan Carlos. Back when I lived on that side of the bridge we would take a gua gua nearly every weekend to boca chica. We would wait for an express and sometimes even got one with AC. . .
Cost very little. Pack a cooler and hang on the west end of beach on some rented lounge chairs or splurge for a lunch at a beach bar like boathouse etc.

If you like music, on sundays head to las ruinas de san francisco in the afternoon to see grupo bonye. Beers a bit more expensive that colmado prices and you may need to pay for the chairs now, though I never did. Pretty fun time on the cheap IMHO.

There used to be a small bar on avenida espana right near hotel aquarium that was across from the sea and had cheap beers. Years ago it was called sunset bar. It has changed owners a few times but the last owner enclosed the bar! What a dope, He has a bar with view of the sea being it's only real asset and takes that away. Anywho there are a few no name places on avenida espana that aren't bad for a cold beer or two while soaking up an ocean breeze.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Back to OP. You can have some fun on limited budget. Not sure what part you are in in "aquel lado" but on las americas where it meets charles degaul and avenida espana is an over pass. Puente Juan Carlos. Back when I lived on that side of the bridge we would take a gua gua nearly every weekend to boca chica. We would wait for an express and sometimes even got one with AC. . .
Cost very little. Pack a cooler and hang on the west end of beach on some rented lounge chairs or splurge for a lunch at a beach bar like boathouse etc.

If you like music, on sundays head to las ruinas de san francisco in the afternoon to see grupo bonye. Beers a bit more expensive that colmado prices and you may need to pay for the chairs now, though I never did. Pretty fun time on the cheap IMHO.

There used to be a small bar on avenida espana right near hotel aquarium that was across from the sea and had cheap beers. Years ago it was called sunset bar. It has changed owners a few times but the last owner enclosed the bar! What a dope, He has a bar with view of the sea being it's only real asset and takes that away. Anywho there are a few no name places on avenida espana that aren't bad for a cold beer or two while soaking up an ocean breeze.

Damn Rafael, you definitely know the area!

Status
Not open for further replies.