Food Safety Concerns

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local...lack-of-hygiene-shutters-restaurant-colmados/

"Bug alert: lack of hygiene shutters restaurant, colmados"

Santo Domingo.- The National Consumer Protection Institute (Pro Consumidor) on Thurs. afternoon shuttered the restaurant “Delicias Campestre” in the capital’s Chinatown,................

Wow, that’s one of the restaurants recommended in the Chinese food thread a week or so ago.  :chinese:

Yes it is, I would still eat there one thousand times quicker than the pica pollo mentioned below by 2dlight. Most of us are familiar with how and why some businesses get closed down and Dominican journalism.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Restaurate-Delicia-Campestre/131955346900095?rf=217040774988745

https://www.facebook.com/Deliciacampestre-261327850589094/

Compare the above facebook fotos to your average pica pollo and you decide which ones need to be shut down. That joint on el conde (see below) is disgusting......................

There is a pica pollo on Calle El Conde in the Colonial Zone that is long overdue from a visit from any existing consumer protection entity. Roaches, both large and small, travel freely throughout the place. I've seen employees stomp the slow and infirm ones with their feet. There's evidence of the presence of rodents, if one looks closely. Since a large portion of the roof on the second floor has collapsed, water from the frequent rains flood the floors of the restaurant. There's a mad scramble to unsuccessfully move the already-cooked-food around, to keep it from flooding also. If the rain persists, and the dozen or so buckets and odd containers fail to contain the 15-20 leaks, the restaurant sometimes closes for the day. I'll leave the food handling in the kitchen, along with what happens with the food that's not sold that day, for another day. Waste not!

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the best "street food" in St Dom is the fresh coconut juice - straight from the coconut - which is sold by the carts which ply the streets at least in Gazcue. The guys cut the coconut open and poor the juice right into a clean sytrofoam cup.. (perhaps this is seasonal? do coconuts ripen all year?) Coconut water has a lot of electrolytes in it - and was used in Haiti during the cholera outbreak.

In my 14 years there I never got the sort of intestinal stuff that Doc so underlined about Mexico. But my friends in Las Terrenas always seem to report it.. they used to come down to the capital for their lab tests - saying that they thought that the amoebaes lived on the microscopes up there.

There is a "worm" treatment - do not remember what it is - but it is two pills - DV8 will know it.. and I did use it a couple of times both in LT and the Capital --

the important thing is to remember that if you do get the runs - food poisoning - something like that - you have to let it pass through you and resist the temptation to "plug yourself up" and keep the poison in...

I remember being so very sick in Mexico - and then appreciating how very very very angry Montezuma had been....

nothing like that in the DR...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That's why I do not do street food here. :speechles

m7f3te.jpg
[/IMG]