For or Against Torture

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
No need for the death penalty in the DR. Some folks have employed lynchings. Law of the jungle rules.:ermm:

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
Torture? Gotta love it. So many uses.
Anyone that thinks torture doesn't break a person watches too much TV. The reality is, it works.
Several years ago I toured the Dungeon in London. Made me proud of my British heritage. Those were the good old days. I also believe in Debtor's Prison.
Incarceration doesn't have a good success track record towards criminals as the recidivism rate is quite high. Why not try something new? Give a lesson that will not soon be forgot.
The movie "Pay Back" was an excellent watch. How many people would endure the toe smashing before giving up the info?
I personally like the Mafia way of dealing with guys that over step the boundaries of relationships. Do they like the taste of their genitals before they bleed to death? Just another form of justified torture IMO.
Corporal punishment should be revived in DR if the cops could ever keep a person in jail long enough.

I'm sorry AlaninDR but this qualifies as one of the most illogical DR1 posts EVER. Did you hit the bottle before writing that???

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
Please pray tell Montreal, what is illogical about it? Does it not suit your "political correctness"? BTW, the topic is "torture".

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal,

I didn't find Alan's post to be illogical at all. He made perfect sense to me. I don't understand why you consider it to be illogical. If you disagree with any of his points, such as toe smashing being an effective method, for example, you should address that issue and not declare the entire post illogical.

While I find Alan to be very logical, there are a couple of points of his that I disagree with.

Alan's contention that the mafia's method was a justied method of torture when dealing with the boundaries of relationships is incorrect, in my opinion. As we know, there are no boundaries where relationships are concerned. The mafia's method simply goes to demonstrate the absence of any such boundaries.

And don't even get me started about the good old days he refers to!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
um,

You all are debating whether torture is appropriate in today's society? As if it's something to be legitimately discussed and used as a standard punitive measure in modern civilization?

Gawd, how far down the rabbit hole we've tumbled....:bored::bored::bored:

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Torture? Gotta love it. So many uses.
Anyone that thinks torture doesn't break a person watches too much TV. The reality is, it works.
Several years ago I toured the Dungeon in London. Made me proud of my British heritage. Those were the good old days. I also believe in Debtor's Prison.
Incarceration doesn't have a good success track record towards criminals as the recidivism rate is quite high. Why not try something new? Give a lesson that will not soon be forgot.
The movie "Pay Back" was an excellent watch. How many people would endure the toe smashing before giving up the info?
I personally like the Mafia way of dealing with guys that over step the boundaries of relationships. Do they like the taste of their genitals before they bleed to death? Just another form of justified torture IMO.
Corporal punishment should be revived in DR if the cops could ever keep a person in jail long enough.

The problem with torture, at least as I see it, is that in many cases people will confess something just to get the pain to stop. Whether it is factual, accurate or even useful is apparently not the goal of torture.

The goal of torture is to get people to tell you something they don't want to tell you (unless you're just doing it for the giggles). What if they don't know it or, if their version of it after serious physical anguish, gets so confused as to be meaningless?

Nah, I really don't think torture works for anything more than the fun of it. I'm sure the kings and queens had a blast torturing their relatives but I doubt they learned much they didn't already know.

Mar 2, 2008
You all are debating whether torture is appropriate in today's society? As if it's something to be legitimately discussed and used as a standard punitive measure in modern civilization?

DRob,

I don't believe you can deny that torture exists, and if it exists why should we ignore it?

Perhaps it isn't an effective means for extracting information, as some have argued, and that is a legitimate contention. However, to just pretend that it doesn't exist at all simply allows those doing the torturing the anonoymity they prefer, and does much more harm than debating its pros and cons.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The problem with torture, at least as I see it, is that in many cases people will confess something just to get the pain to stop. Whether it is factual, accurate or even useful is apparently not the goal of torture.

The goal of torture is to get people to tell you something they don't want to tell you (unless you're just doing it for the giggles). What if they don't know it or, if their version of it after serious physical anguish, gets so confused as to be meaningless?

Nah, I really don't think torture works for anything more than the fun of it. I'm sure the kings and queens had a blast torturing their relatives but I doubt they learned much they didn't already know.
Not altogether true.

In tough interrogation, a suspect is warned: you offer BS, we find out-and we're gonna check-and there will be hell to pay. If they offer up BS when the pain starts, and it's found out, there will be much more pain (or waterboarding). You think a suspect would lie under those conditions? I'm thinking not.

Occam's Razor.

The reason torture has been used for the last several thousands of years is because it basically works. PC? Not particularly. Effective? Pretty much.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

DRob,

I don't believe you can deny that torture exists, and if it exists why should we ignore it?

Perhaps it isn't an effective means for extracting information, as some have argued, and that is a legitimate contention. However, to just pretend that it doesn't exist at all simply allows those doing the torturing the anonoymity they prefer, and does much more harm than debating its pros and cons.

I didn't deny it's existence, I decried it's use. And I don't care if "they're doing it too." That is, on a good day, the worst of pathetic excuses.

Another poster referred to Occam's Razor, incorrectly. Occam's Razor requires the objective use of accurate data to determine principles not subject to the proclivities of humanity (like being susceptible to fear or pain). As was previously stated, people will say anything to avoid - or stop being tortured. As would you. That puts the veracity of information received in doubt.

But I suspect you already knew that.

So to my point: the real reason it's used is as a terror tactic. Not to purloin data, but as a dark-hearted way to so intimidate the other prisoners - or general population - with the notion of extreme, inhumane punishment that they would bow to the will of authority, no matter how immoral it may be.

I mean, exactly what do you think the Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is about? Jesus wept, torture is fundamentally contrary to a free, enlightened society. They had that figured out by the 18th century, why can't folks see that now?

And if authority has to resort to torture as a means of control, then they are immoral and unworthy of the privilege of governance.

No matter what Rush, Sean, or Fox News might tell you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.