Forbes Magazine Ranks the DR at the Bottom for Reliable Countries.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

Corruption is the main cause of concern. Much of the money earmarked for improving infrastructure is absorbed by coruption and or lack of leadership in enforcing policy across the board. Example of corruption and ineficiency- Patromony and Ayuntamiento in La Zona Colonial. They are in charge of spending millions of borrowed dollars to remodel a few streets, yet garbage still overflows the containers in our parks each night by 7pm. Calle Conde is always filthy. God forbid they hire a swing shift cleaning crew from 3Pm to 11Pm to clean the streets and empty garbage cans. Last year they said that they were going to offer free paint (a gift from Spain or France) to clean up abandoned colonial buildings. Most of the paint was stolen by the painters or ended up covering the sidewalks - heard of a drop cloth? The senior staff of Patromony drive Mercedez yet their salary is $30K RD a month. How is that possible?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Don't dismiss the worthless electric sector as not significant!!!!!!
IT is HUGE!!!!!!!
EXPENSIVE, and unreliable to boot.
Important to investors.
The "Water" supply system is also a joke.
An "UNFUNNY Joke"!
Also important to investors.
AND, the DR's penchant to "Change The Rules" after the investment has been made, and the "Game" already started.
ASK "Barrike Gold", and "Falconbridge" about THAT!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Can't say about the rest, but "investors" NEVER RELY on the DR govt. water supply. I personally kinda like that.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
the infrastructure holds but it is poorly maintained. and DR has not been hit with a very strong earthquake yet, there is no way of saying what would happen if we had a tremor over 7 in richter scale. i agree that electricity is a big issue and so are labour laws. but again i question why DR ranks lower than sierra leone, syria, afghanistan and so on.

And that's my fear.:( I've been noticing that tremors or earthquakes are becoming
stronger than the ones before on the richter scale.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Corruption is the main cause of concern. Much of the money earmarked for improving infrastructure is absorbed by coruption and or lack of leadership in enforcing policy across the board. Example of corruption and ineficiency- Patromony and Ayuntamiento in La Zona Colonial. They are in charge of spending millions of borrowed dollars to remodel a few streets, yet garbage still overflows the containers in our parks each night by 7pm. Calle Conde is always filthy. God forbid they hire a swing shift cleaning crew from 3Pm to 11Pm to clean the streets and empty garbage cans. Last year they said that they were going to offer free paint (a gift from Spain or France) to clean up abandoned colonial buildings. Most of the paint was stolen by the painters or ended up covering the sidewalks - heard of a drop cloth? The senior staff of Patromony drive Mercedez yet their salary is $30K RD a month. How is that possible?

I didn't"t see the weights assigned to the individual factors, where was that? Or, are you assigning the weighs?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
My guess is that there are no statistics for Syria or Afghanistan (how could there be?), and probably not for Sierra Leone or Lebanon.

this is how it looks to me too and this is why i disregard data like that. lately DR is scoring surprisingly poorly in all kinds of polls and while it is a dark pitch of hell there are plenty more circles below.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
The DR actually an easy country to do business in..

As long as the idea is not to make money.....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have lots of Dominican friends that make lots of money here the legal way. Why are you gringos always on the outside looking in??

Aug 6, 2006
Investing is not easy, you have to know what you are doing. Most small investors in the US lose money because they buy at the top and sell at the bottom and cannot see the big picture. There is LOTs of data about US investments, much less about those in the DR. Here, you probably should know someone who has been successful to invest wisely.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I have lots of Dominican friends that make lots of money here the legal way. Why are you gringos always on the outside looking in??

YOU gringos? C'mon, man...

We rarely have earthquake nor hurricane problems and the building code is anything but lax. It is inconsistently applied;

That is the definition of lax.

I'm afraid the analysis is based on very little experience with the DR unfortunately..

Do you know anything about how the study was conducted? Have you ever been involved in the construction of one of those large buildings/apartment complexes that remain empty all over Santiago and Santo Domingo to know how closely construction codes are adhered to?

Last edited:

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Ya know, There are Dominicanos that make 50 times that amount. Not a bunch, but some.Don't be blind.

I don't need to see (just need to read) the median income is 6,000 US$ here. But, I also see it every day too. Just because some people make 300k us here does not make this country a desirable place to do business. The report says that. So, rather than denying the facts about doing business here what do you suggest be done.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
ANYONE, with a RELIABLE method od prediction earthquakes will become a "BILLIONair" overnight!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'm working on that
DivingForPalme.jpg

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I knew the DR was in bad shape, but I didn't realize it was this bad. Forbes magazine has ranked the DR at the very bottom of a list of about 170 countries. Here is a sample of what the article has to say:

"The Dominican Republic ranks at the very bottom of the list. As an island nation in the middle of the Caribbean it is vulnerable to both hurricanes and earthquakes. Also its infrastructure is crumbling and building codes are lax, says Jon Hall, an executive vice president at FM Global. Corruption is a huge problem."

You can read the rest here:

The Most And Least Reliable Countries To Do Business In - Forbes

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Can't be true. Just ask PICHARDO.

This Forbes article actually surprised me. The reason is because although the DR has problems there seem to be worse places. But according to Forbes the DR is even worse off than Venezuela. I'm so thankful that I didn't buy any property or land since I moved here. I'm also thankful I didn't get residency.

When I first moved here I had these grandiose plans. But I took my time to do research and observe the country since my arrival. And, even before reading this Forbes article I knew the Dom Rep wasn't worth investing in. What I didn't know is that it would rank at the bottom. Now I'm definitely not investing any money after reading this.