Foreign words and phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The words a language donates to the international vocabulary have a lot to do with what that language's speakers are most famous for. In the case of the Italians, music and art, and the French - food and sex!

You have 'menage a trois', 'soixante-neuf' and other such expressions.

On the culinary front, there are dozens: as well as baguette you have croissant, bouquet garni and many more. In the DR, 'petit pois' is the main word used for peas, as opposed to guisantes or ch?charos.

'Sang froid' literally 'cold blood' but meaning composed in the sense of being cool and controlled, used to be commonly used in English. 'Crime passionel' - crime of passion.

Ever tried brainstorming Japanese words with a group of non-Japanese speakers? You'd be surprised how many words are in everyday use among English and Spanish speakers.

German offers zeitgeist (spirit of the times) and schadenfreude (enjoying someone else's misfortune), and Swedish gave us smorgasbord (assortment of food).

Lesley D said:
53) paella (Spanish)- universal name for this infamous Spanish dish. No explanation required
Why infamous?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Chiri-

Infamous meaning "notorious" or "well- known".

For a moment there I thought I used the word out of context. I just checked in my thesaurus.

-LDG.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Lesley D said:
Infamous meaning "notorious" or "well- known".

For a moment there I thought I used the word out of context. I just checked in my thesaurus.
-LDG.

in?fa?mous (nf-ms)
adj.
1. Having an exceedingly bad reputation; notorious.
2. Causing or deserving infamy; heinous: an infamous deed.
3. Law
a. Punishable by severe measures, such as death, long imprisonment, or loss of civil rights.
b. Convicted of a crime, such as treason or felony, that carries such a punishment.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/infamous

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Correction-

If that's the context that it carries then no that's not what I meant. You learn something new everyday.

Paella as a dish definitely has a good reputation

Mil gracias.

-LDG.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Continuation in 2007 of Foreign Phrases-

The usage of foreign phrases is inevitable in all facets of language which include formal and informal speech. Certain vocabulary or short phrases are used by speakers in its language of origin and in its original form in many foreign languages. Usage and popularity derived from many avenues and foreign words and phrases in some source languages have more popularity than others. French is a prime example. Although the number of speakers around the globe has declined considerably in the last two decades, it is still considered a language of prestige, sophistication, spoken by many and no doubt is one of the reasons for its foreign phrase popularity. The usage of Latin dominates in professional fields still today and Spanish IMO still has a long way to go in comparison because the spoken popularity of the language globally is considered a recent phenomenon. However, this does not mean that there are not any current Spanish phrases used in other languages as a foreign phrase.

Over the past while, I have been using some phrases more than usual and observing the usage of others and decided to add them to my list. Once again how often you hear these may depend on where you live currently, the common vernacular language(s) of your area, other factors include the books you read, the movies you watch and basically any medium where language is used.

82/ ante meridiem (A.M)- (Latin)- before noon

83/ auberge- (French)- inn

84/ avant-garde- (French)- innovative. (IMO this a common international phrase)

85/ belle ?poque- (French)- "the prosperous period" referring to French history

86/ chez- (French)- "at the house of" (this is definitely used internationally)

87/ cul-de-sac- (French)- a dead end. (IMO this a common international phrase)

88/ danke sch?n-(German)- Thank you very much

89/ fait accompli- (French)- Something that's already accomplished. (IMO this phrase is very common)

90/ folie- (French)- madness. Very common

91/ latte- (Italian)- milk

92/ RSVP- (French)- r?pondez, s'il vous pla?t. Needless to say this is completely international.

* please ensure to check first before adding a foreign phrase to the list to avoid repetition.

-LDG.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Gesundheit is often said after one sneezes. I think it means good health in German. By the way, what do spanish speaking people usually say after someone sneezes?

Steve

Lady_Laura

Aug 21, 2007
what about "Abur" I hear that alot in D.R meaning Good bye or Hello.. Where did that come from? Any ideas??

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
what about "Abur" I hear that alot in D.R meaning Good bye or Hello.. Where did that come from? Any ideas??

The word "abur" is a variant of "agur" (from the Latin "augurium").

(agur. Interjecci?n que, procedente del lat?n augurium, ha pasado al espa?ol a trav?s del vasco como f?rmula de despedida. Se admite tambi?n la variante abur.
Diccionario panhisp?nico de dudas ?2005
Real Academia Espa?ola ? Todos los derechos reservados)

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
"arena" - Spanish (It came to us from the Romans): A space for combats, other performances; a ring, platform, or the like used for sports or other forms of entertainment. A field of conflict.
(In the political arena . . . )

That I know of, French and English use the word.

rolfdog

Oct 9, 2006
Arena also means sand in spanish. Is it because these venues required lots of sand to function well. Is there a relation?

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.