Foreigner Moving to the Dominican Republic

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I never heard of this either. I have two passports, but if I enter the US I would have to present my US passport. But what right does US Customs have to take any foreign passport from you?

This appears to be one of the many "imaginative" posts on DR1, with nothing to back it up but what you think they do. Bull**** to me.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I agree with SKY...that's bull. My kids traveled for years on two passports...now, as US citizens born in the DR the just use their US passport which says they were born in the DR so they are exonerated from entrance tax or stuff like that.

As for getting your residence, I will give you the name and phone number of the #1 attorney in that field. She was the director of Extranjer?a for 8 years, is a General in the Army and Chief Judge of the Military Tribunal. She now takes individual cases.

PM me if you want.

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have to let WW speak for himself, but as I read his comment about many US Citizens giving up their passports I took it that they were relinquishing US citizenship voluntarily and expatriating completely from the US. The numbers I read about were not that many, but it does happen.

As for for having US citizenship to start with and then getting DR citizenship, certainly that is possible for people who want to go through the time and effort. There is another thread or two that point out the reality that the US would do little for its citizens who break the laws in foreign countries regardless if they have citizenship in that country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have to let WW speak for himself, but as I read his comment about many US Citizens giving up their passports I took it that they were relinquishing US citizenship voluntarily and expatriating completely from the US. The numbers I read about were not that many, but it does happen.

As for for having US citizenship to start with and then getting DR citizenship, certainly that is possible for people who want to go through the time and effort. There is another thread or two that point out the reality that the US would do little for its citizens who break the laws in foreign countries regardless if they have citizenship in that country.

More useless information. I have dual citizenship, killed someone that attacked me, Bill Kirkman was at the police station representing the US Consulate to help. Of course the US Consulate will end up making it worse than it is if you deal with them. So I politely declined their help and let my lawyer get me the justice I deserved anyway.

Bottom line is if you can get dual citizenship it is well worth it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing to add. If I did not have DR citizenship I would have spent between 3 and 6 months in a DR Jail while they investigate the circumstances. But since I am a citizen I was granted bail and never saw the inside of a jail. End result, six months later, self defense, and I received my Glock back along with both passports.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
Yes, I am going to get dual citizenships. I think the USA and the DR are the two best countries in the world. Just my ultimate nightmare would be to have my US citizenship forfeited.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Ton

One more thing to add. If I did not have DR citizenship I would have spent between 3 and 6 months in a DR Jail while they investigate the circumstances. But since I am a citizen I was granted bail and never saw the inside of a jail. End result, six months later, self defense, and I received my Glock back along with both passports.

This is a very important point.
Let us not forget the incidence at the Monkey Jungle in Sosua and Ton Plokkaar.
On can live in the DR with a residencia for a long time but you are still a foreigner.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More useless information. I have dual citizenship, killed someone that attacked me, Bill Kirkman was at the police station representing the US Consulate to help. Of course the US Consulate will end up making it worse than it is if you deal with them. So I politely declined their help and let my lawyer get me the justice I deserved anyway. Bottom line is if you can get dual citizenship it is well worth it.
Very interesting that only a DR Citizen is allowed to post bail and a DR Resident cannot post bail. That is something I have never seen mentioned before and it is surprising. Does anyone know why it is true? What did you see as the problem if the US Consulate helped you? What was the US Consulate proposing to do for you that you refused?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Very interesting that only a DR Citizen is allowed to post bail and a DR Resident cannot post bail. That is something I have never seen mentioned before and it is surprising. Does anyone know why it is true? What did you see as the problem if the US Consulate helped you? What was the US Consulate proposing to do for you that you refused?

I had two very good Dominican lawyers and both agreed that the US Consulate was not needed in this matter. They only make things worse by trying to see if you broke any US laws in the matter. Anybody that thinks the US will get them out of any trouble they have here will find out the hard way that it is the opposite.

This is my experience, and it worked well for me. Anybody else can do what they wish.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had two very good Dominican lawyers and both agreed that the US Consulate was not needed in this matter. They only make things worse by trying to see if you broke any US laws in the matter. Anybody that thinks the US will get them out of any trouble they have here will find out the hard way that it is the opposite.

This is my experience, and it worked well for me. Anybody else can do what they wish.

SKY, do you know if the law specifically exclude people with DR Residency from being able to post bail?