Foreinger dies in accident in La Hermita

dom

Jun 1, 2011
incredible the nonsense speculation, its clearly the engine that was completely ripped out of the car.
it was a mercedes e or C class, not a subraru lol

i went with patrick once from santiago to sosua and he drove WAAAYYYY to fast, so excess of speed was definitely the cause, otherwise you dont just rip out an engine out of a Mb by going 60mkh.

dom

Jun 1, 2011
normally airbags only work if the seatbelt is on, she aparently had it on thats why theres airbags on her side, on his side i cant see any airbags, by this meaning no seatbelt.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
normally airbags only work if the seatbelt is on, she aparently had it on thats why theres airbags on her side, on his side i cant see any airbags, by this meaning no seatbelt.

airbags will deploy even if seatbelts are not buckled. in some cars, there is a weight sensor on the passenger seat, and if nobody is sitting there, the passenger bag will not deploy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on some pictures you can see white fabric on the driving wheel so i think his airbags did deploy.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
incredible the nonsense speculation, its clearly the engine that was completely ripped out of the car.

i went with patrick once from santiago to sosua and he drove WAAAYYYY to fast, so excess of speed was definitely the cause, otherwise you dont just rip out an engine out of a Mb by going 60mkh.

Man drive very fast. Man die in car accident. End of story.

UrbanGuest

Apr 12, 2013
www.georgiaflash.com
Is this the guy with the restaurant on the beach with some little one room cabanas for rent?

I had the pleasure of eating there on one of my very first trips down to the DR, one of the best meals I've had on the island. And after talking to the owner found out he had owned a restaurant here in Atlanta that I had eaten at many times. Really nice guy, great food in a great location. RIP.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
I was in a car accident in Atlanta and they took off my shoes, I found them two days later in the truck I was driving

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

Definitely a Merc. Loooking at the vehicle, he would probably still be here today if he had his belt on. The main cabin is almost totally intact.

I'd also speculate his wife probably had her belt fastened.

Part of the science of auto crash safety is to design the drive train to drop out of the vehicle on front end impact. That way people in the passenger compartment don't have to compete with the engine for space.

FOURFAN

Jan 30, 2015
not much really holds an engine in on any car but it still takes a considerable impact to knock one out. it was not a low speed accident.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
at any speed if you hit a tree it is a huge impact. Trees do not give, at all.Try rolling a car into a tree at 5mph, without your seat belt. I will bet you that youeither end up in the foot well under the steering wheel, or break yourface on your steering wheel.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We had dinner there - Los Gringos - not long ago.
He had just finished some of the new apartments/rooms and was talking about his 'partners'
so, hopefully, there will be a succession plan of sorts

too bad..... sad ending...........RIP

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Stop, please, with the comments and speculations about speed and causes of this crash.

. . . .and OK, I knew this great guy from the early nineties when he was with Rum Runners.

"I'm just a simple Belgian boy." he would say, and then go on to pronounce something topical and incisive.

wbr

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Many will miss him

I knew Patrick since around 2003 from Luperon days where he had a restaurant. He was a great friend and like a brother to me. I lived and worked with him for many years before returning to the states. He left some very big shoes to fill for anybody taking over. The other owners of Los Gringos are there now arranging everything to continue serving the clients as well as possible. Los Gringos will go on.

His wife is doing well and out of the hospital and only sustained a leg injury and broken arm. Yes, it appears he was driving too fast. Anybody that knew Patrick knew he drove fast, but he was also a very very good driver. I drove all over the country with him without incident. I would assume something, such as a blown tire or similar, happened while he was driving at the high rate of speed and the rest is history.

He will be missed by so many and obviously Los Gringos, and the North Coast, will be a very different place without him. I was planning on flying back seeing him in a couple of months and now I don't even want to go.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Stop, please, with the comments and speculations about speed and causes of this crash.

. . . .and OK, I knew this great guy from the early nineties when he was with Rum Runners.

"I'm just a simple Belgian boy." he would say, and then go on to pronounce something topical and incisive.

wbr

Speed kills. I didn't know this guy and I do not feel the least bit of sympathy for him or anyone else who dies in a car
accident when they were driving at an access speed. I was almost killed in a car accident 3 weeks before my 17th birthday
because of some *sshole who was speeding through an intersection and I still have the scars on my face to prove it. Don't speed. Don't die driving like an *sshole.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I knew Patrick since around 2003 from Luperon days where he had a restaurant. He was a great friend and like a brother to me. I lived and worked with him for many years before returning to the states. He left some very big shoes to fill for anybody taking over. The other owners of Los Gringos are there now arranging everything to continue serving the clients as well as possible. Los Gringos will go on.

His wife is doing well and out of the hospital and only sustained a leg injury and broken arm. Yes, it appears he was driving too fast. Anybody that knew Patrick knew he drove fast, but he was also a very very good driver. I drove all over the country with him without incident. I would assume something, such as a blown tire or similar, happened while he was driving at the high rate of speed and the rest is history.

He will be missed by so many and obviously Los Gringos, and the North Coast, will be a very different place without him. I was planning on flying back seeing him in a couple of months and now I don't even want to go.

Well said Steve, glad his wife has recoverable injuries and all our condolences can comfort her.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Speed kills. I didn't know this guy and I do not feel the least bit of sympathy for him or anyone else who dies in a car
accident when they were driving at an access speed. I was almost killed in a car accident 3 weeks before my 17th birthday
because of some *sshole who was speeding through an intersection and I still have the scars on my face to prove it. Don't speed. Don't die driving like an *sshole.

Calm down there, Pocahontas.

You nor I were there or know what happened.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Calm down there, Pocahontas.

You nor I were there or know what happened.

Pocahontas? Rather than take another 30 day ban, I'll take the high road on this one... (without speeding like an *sshole)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps one way to show our respect is to continue to frequent the restaurant...

I think I'll try that approach

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Perhaps one way to show our respect is to continue to frequent the restaurant...

I think I'll try that approach

Just found out that Los Gringos will be closed for a bit while they figure out all the new business aspects. I also believe when they reopen they will probably have a new name since it will basically be a completely different place without Patrick. I'm rooting for successful of the new business when they reopen, as we all know how hard it is to build, and keep, a successful business in the DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
it is interesting that a guy who has everything does something this dumb. Wonderful news that the beautiful Dominicana will be fine. You know she had on her seat belt. We are going to dinner in the restaurant just as soon as it reopens no matter what its name. I want to offer my condolences to the widow and her gorgeous sister. No car is designed to have the engine and transmission fly out of the vehicle on impact. Well designed cars are engineered in such a way as the parts absorb impact and help the occupants survive not fly down the road along with the occupants who do not fasten the belt system.