Former Chinese Restaurant may get a new Restaurant

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A neighbor of mine was advertising for help on Facebook to work at a new restaurant in Cabarete. Turns out the location is where the old Chinese restaurant was.

He is from the US and not Chinese and I have no idea what cuisine it might be if it happens.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Someone in Sosua mentioned that a Cabarete beach restaurant was offering Chinese food. Has anyone heard about this?
Yes, it is called Latin Wok, and the food is absolutely delicious. Don't expect the same type of food as the old Chinese, the one on the beach is much more upscale. They have another location in Puerto Plata inside the Sunshine hotel. I used to go there but now that they are in Cabarete we always go there now. My wife and two daughters love their food. It is a must try if you are heading out for dinner in Cabarete. Obviously the prices are much higher than the place that closed down (I have been going there since 2002), but worth paying the extra. The wontons and dumplings are delicious and for something different for a starter, try the Bao. I had it the last time I was there and it was incredible. I have tried most things on the menu and everything is really good. It is a great addition to Cabarete beach and hope that it does well. Each time I have gone there it has been very busy.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Yes, it is called Latin Wok, and the food is absolutely delicious. Don't expect the same type of food as the old Chinese, the one on the beach is much more upscale. They have another location in Puerto Plata inside the Sunshine hotel. I used to go there but now that they are in Cabarete we always go there now. My wife and two daughters love their food. It is a must try if you are heading out for dinner in Cabarete. Obviously the prices are much higher than the place that closed down (I have been going there since 2002), but worth paying the extra. The wontons and dumplings are delicious and for something different for a starter, try the Bao. I had it the last time I was there and it was incredible. I have tried most things on the menu and everything is really good. It is a great addition to Cabarete beach and hope that it does well. Each time I have gone there it has been very busy.
Thanks for sharing! I will check it out soon.

Reactions: CristoRey and tee

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Update after I communicated with the new business owner in the OP:

The new restaurant at the old Chinese restaurant location will serve "Soul Food" and has a planned opening date of April 1, 2023.

I know of no other restaurant with that cuisine in the DR and admittedly I have no idea what it is.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks for the info. Is it open for lunch or just dinner? Where is it located on beach?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Update after I communicated with the new business owner in the OP:

The new restaurant at the old Chinese restaurant location will serve "Soul Food" and has a planned opening date of April 1, 2023.

I know of no other restaurant with that cuisine in the DR and admittedly I have no idea what it is.
Here's what a typical soul food menu looks like for anyone who's not familiar with this type of food. This one happens to be one of my favorites back home.
Enjoy.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Cristo..anything like this in DR or any suggestions?
Not really.
Sometimes a good local comedor will have a nice selection of meats and stewed vegetables but it's rare. One here in Santiago a few blocks up from Casa Bader offers a nice selection. I eat there every once in a while if I feel like taking a nice walk to have lunch.

Reactions: keepcoming

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Soul food in DR ?

Fatback and Hamhocks
Hog Jowl & Chittlins
Pigs Feet and Collard Greens
Mustard Greens and Fried Okra (I like these)
Corn Pone and Hush Puppies
Pork Chops and Deep Fried Chicken
Black-eyed peas and Butter Beans
Sweet Potato and Pecan Pie

And funny think Kale, which has gotten so popular started as an African food first brought by slaves.
"Soul Food' started appearing in the US in the 'cotton belt' - Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and Georgia - mostly land locked areas away from fish and shell fish.
It was considered as 'poor-peoples' food for African slaves, but evolved over time to just Southern Food.
It is now widespread in the US Deep South and even some in the US mid-west and could be found in restaurants in the North, but you won't find much of it west of the the Rocky Mountains

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The person trying to open the restaurant told me it has been a learning experience. I am sure his learning is only just starting when it comes to running a business in the DR , labor laws, suppliers, etc...

Reactions: chico bill

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The person trying to open the restaurant told me it has been a learning experience. I am sure his learning is only just starting when it comes to running a business in the DR , labor laws, suppliers, etc...
I sure don't have the energy (or is it stupidity) for starting a business here (or anywhere) any longer.
I had a business in California for a dozen years and, even thought that was many years ago, even then the regulations and cumbersome tax filings and insurance requirements made it near impossible to devote time to the actual work.

In fact about the only way to succeed in owning businesses that are being stifled by government regulations is to cheat as much as possible and run every possible peso or penny "off the books" .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Soul food in DR ?

Fatback and Hamhocks
Hog Jowl & Chittlins
Pigs Feet and Collard Greens
Mustard Greens and Fried Okra (I like these)
Corn Pone and Hush Puppies
Pork Chops and Deep Fried Chicken
Black-eyed peas and Butter Beans
Sweet Potato and Pecan Pie

And funny think Kale, which has gotten so popular started as an African food first brought by slaves.
"Soul Food' started appearing in the US in the 'cotton belt' - Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina and Georgia - mostly land locked areas away from fish and shell fish.
It was considered as 'poor-peoples' food for African slaves, but evolved over time to just Southern Food.
It is now widespread in the US Deep South and even some in the US mid-west and could be found in restaurants in the North, but you won't find much of it west of the the Rocky Mountains
Just reading that list makes me hungry.

Reactions: CristoRey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just reading that list makes me hungry.

I don’t recognize most of those foods, but I’m a Yankee girl. Big hoopla about a soul food restaurant opening near us in South Jersey, I wondered exactly what they’d be serving, now I have an idea. Looking at the list, I can see most of the ingredients are available in DR. Maybe not the pecans (Mr AE would travel for a good pecan pie, his hands-down favorite).

Reactions: CristoRey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I don’t recognize most of those foods, but I’m a Yankee girl. Big hoopla about a soul food restaurant opening near us in South Jersey, I wondered exactly what they’d be serving, now I have an idea. Looking at the list, I can see most of the ingredients are available in DR. Maybe not the pecans (Mr AE would travel for a good pecan pie, his hands-down favorite).
I have had pecan pie in (no not great) but edible at the Dolce y (I can't recall name ) near the corner of Pedro Clisante and David Stern

Reactions: AlterEgo