Frank Moya Pons: La cuesti?n haitiana

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
The Dominican government and its tax payers are not responsible for the Haitian government?s constituents. And even if it was forced to take care of the entire island, the Dominican budget wouldn?t be enough to do much. At the very best, the Dominican side would degrade considerably.

this mindset right here is your problem! why do you think the us constantly meddled in latin american countries internal affairs? because they have nothing better do to? and why did germany spend billions on the european union? because they are such charitable people? no, they did it because what is going on inside your neighboring countries is of vital interest to you.
the notion of building a fence is ridiculous, it wouldn't help matters and cost a lot of money and lives. you are stuck with haiti as a neighbor, deal with it and be glad that it is the only poor country you are sharing a direct border with. and by the way, yes, the dominican republic carries a burden with illegal haitian immigrants, but if the situation was really as bad as you make it out to be, the government would have a totally different attitude towards it. the dominican republic would be not much better off if there weren't any haitians to be found anywhere in the country.

Jan 3, 2003
I've spoken to many Dominicans in the Constanza Valley region and I've heard something quite different. Many are already accepting the Haitians and have told me that there is no hope but to merge with them. In the poorest slums of Constanza perched on hilltops near La Plaza where agro-goods are bought and sold, you can see in the distance the slums. If you walk in that area as I have you see just as many Haitians as you see Dominicans. They live together. It seems many of the poor maybe accepting more of this union than we may understand.

Of course, Nals is correct. It will have a profound and direct effect on the DR gov't, social services for Dominicans and overall economic activity. Haiti is non-existent as a governmental structure, as an economic unit and as a sovereign nation. If the DR is on life support, Haiti is a decedent. It is deceased, moribund, gone, non-existent and truly I believe beyond any hope unless the world powers go in there and rebuild the entire Haitian side like they did with Europe after WW2.

Do you see any hope of this occurring?

Nals, we don't see eye to eye on economics but I support you 1 million percent in building an Israeli fence on the border. I wouldn't even mind getting some more IMF free money to do it. You have my support, brother.

@Mariot-you failed basic arithmetic in elementary school.

Last edited:

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Please excuse my long post. I am writing from a point of observation and ignorance concerning Haiti and am looking to be better informed about both Haiti and the Dominican Republic. So, please pardon my ignorance.

Reading the various posts concerning Haiti on this forum and others, some of the more popular solutions seem to be:

1. Build a Wall or Fence
2. Get rid of the illegal Haitians
3. Keep pouring more money into Haiti
4. Combine the Haitian and DR governments

I have only recently started looking into the Haitian issue, and what I have seen so far are the following:

1. The only Haitians that have been helped so far are the Politicians (especially those that have been sent away, Aristide, Cedras, Baby Doc, etc.)

2. The Haitian Elite (whoever they are). I really don't know how they became rich and whether or not they are re-investing in their country.

3. Though they are neighbors, the DR government and its people cannot bear this burden. The DR has way too many issues of their own. The DR can and has been helping but, what is enough and when is it enough?

4. I think many of the organizations currently stationed in Haiti such as NGOs, Churches, other people , Sean Penn, etc are somewhat self-serving and in reality are trying to bail water from the Titanic. To me it seems as if it's sort of like a Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy ( form of child abuse in which a parent induces real or apparent symptoms of a disease in a child. Symptoms: The child's symptoms do not fit a classical picture of illness or do not fit together).

5. Until the people who live in Haiti are re-educated, there is no way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks that this country can change for the better. It will take generations to change Haiti but hasn't generations passed and we still have the same mess over there?

6. There are many educated Haitians living abroad, maybe it's time that they come back and try to help their fellow brothers and sisters out of this mess.

7. How much more money needs to be thrown at Haiti? Until you understand the culture and the mentality of the Haitian population, throwing money at the situation will not help much. Until the Haitian population can help themselves, there is no hope for Haiti. From my limited and uneducated view of the situation in Haiti, the only long-term plan I see so far is throwing more money at Haiti (which also will not help). Haiti has to help its self first, then others can help.

Growing up, when I heard about the endless suffering in Haiti, I use to say, "it seems as if when the devil wants to take a crap, he uses Haiti as one of his out-houses":eek:

It's good that we can all discuss this issue on DR1 because we care. No matter how crazy some of the solutions might sound to others, we still care. Keep up the discussions folks, hopefully one of these days Haiti will be saved but I don't expect it to be done in my lifetime or my children's lifetime.

suavena

Jan 27, 2009
How can we forget the pressure the Clinton Administration put on Balaguer back in the early 90's to allowed the Haitians refugee into DR. Every pressure put on him was return with a resounding NO. Eventually the Clinton's administration gave up and had to open Guantanamo to the refugee.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
And the reason for posting the video of your sister Sylvia is.......????????????????????????

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC