Free Ancestry Site

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We've all got ancestors.

I did the Ancestry DNA test a while back to confirm a relative I didn't know existed. I balked at paying a subscription on Ancestry.com however because what little I could find didn't tell me much because you only see info supplied by other paying members.

Anyway, the newly found relative told me about https://www.familysearch.org/

Familysearch.org is free. Because of that, there is a lot more information available. And anything posted by anyone else about their relatives gets pulled into your ancestor's list so your tree keeps growing.

As more persons get pulled into your ancestor's list, you get emails informing you about them. Fascinating stuff.

I now have knowledge of my ancestors going back to the 1700s, and there is also the ability to see where they are buried!

As I said before, the best part is it's FREE.

Time to start chasing your family roots!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've all got ancestors.

I did the Ancestry DNA test a while back to confirm a relative I didn't know existed. I balked at paying a subscription on Ancestry.com however because what little I could find didn't tell me much because you only see info supplied by other paying members.

Anyway, the newly found relative told me about https://www.familysearch.org/

Familysearch.org is free. Because of that, there is a lot more information available. And anything posted by anyone else about their relatives gets pulled into your ancestor's list so your tree keeps growing.

As more persons get pulled into your ancestor's list, you get emails informing you about them. Fascinating stuff.

I now have knowledge of my ancestors going back to the 1700s, and there is also the ability to see where they are buried!

As I said before, the best part is it's FREE.

Time to start chasing your family roots!

Yep, it’s run by the Mormons. Great site.

A newer one has popped up, especially good if you have European ancestry. Lots of Dominican info. Also free. Based in France I believe. You can change language to English

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Yep, it’s run by the Mormons. Great site.

A newer one has popped up, especially good if you have European ancestry. Lots of Dominican info. Also free. Based in France I believe. You can change language to English

I didn't know they were French. I have used them and like their product. Especially the free part.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I didn't know they were French. I have used them and like their product. Especially the free part.

Geneanet has been amazing for me, filling in Leo’s tree, lots of Dominicans. There’s a gentleman in Casa De Campo who has mapped out a massive Dominican database, mostly the descendants of the original settlers of Santo Domingo from the 1600s.

My paternal grandfather’s ancestry is from Basilicata in Italy, and not a lot from there came to the USA. Residents from that region were heavily recruited to Argentina and Brazil, and I’m finding a lot of family In Uruguay too on that site. I already knew about Argentina because my grandfather’s brother lived there with his uncles and aunts Uruguay was a surprise.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Geneanet has been amazing for me, filling in Leo’s tree, lots of Dominicans. There’s a gentleman in Casa De Campo who has mapped out a massive Dominican database, mostly the descendants of the original settlers of Santo Domingo from the 1600s.

My paternal grandfather’s ancestry is from Basilicata in Italy, and not a lot from there came to the USA. Residents from that region were heavily recruited to Argentina and Brazil, and I’m finding a lot of family In Uruguay too on that site. I already knew about Argentina because my grandfather’s brother lived there with his uncles and aunts Uruguay was a surprise.
My wife thinks I am crazy but I find it interesting. I just recently found out that one set of my 7th great grandparerwnt
were of Dutch descent and borh were born in Harlem NY while it was still farmland and partially occupied with Natives. I am going to start my wife's soon and I think once I start her curiousity will overcome her reluctance. I know she has one Grandfather from the Canary Islands and one from Andalusia. I have a fourth cousin that has aboriginal DNA from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Mexico, and South America, so the tests can reveal a lot. She only knew her last name was Spanish.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMG_2591.jpeg
IMG_2590.jpeg