French restaurants

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I would not dare to call the Cafe Paris in RSY outstanding. It offers very decent food, for decent prices. No more, no less. Yes, I eat there, and get value for money. But not for the more sophisticated palate.

BelgianK

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
I agree they speak French in Las Terrenas.

Who is "they"? Because as far as I know, we are in the Dominican Republic and THEY speak Spanish here.
Yes, I know we have a large French community but we still have more Dominicans than French, "right"?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cafe Paris is DOMINICAN French, not just French. His sauces are outstanding!

The number of restaurants for "sophisticated palates" on the island is a really short list...and "sophisticated" is a highly subjective term.

Besides, RSJ (not Y) is pretty close to nowhere. To have a restaurant there of their quality there is fortuitous, indeed...

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
That would seem pretty hilarious to me. :classic: Sorry that it bothers you so much.

But when it comes to dining out when I travel in a foreign country, I generally try not get a menu in English, but in the local language. There have instances, when prices on the menu vary with the language that the menu is printed in.

In Brasil I expect the menu in portugese, in colombia, argentina, chile etc in spanish, in japan japanese, in France french, but in DR? Please.

How would an american or non French canadian know that when visiting DR you eed to learn French?

As far as menus having different prices depending on language. . .maybe at La Roca. . . . .

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Much ado about rien du tout.

Italian restaurant menus don't always translate the names of their dishes. It's assumed that most people can tell their arrabiata from their putanesca, and if in doubt they can ask the waiter.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in one or two french places i visited in london the menu was also in french. presumably to sell you things you would not, otherwise, eat. like vieilles chaussures soupe...

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
in one or two french places i visited in london the menu was also in french. presumably to sell you things you would not, otherwise, eat. like vieilles chaussures soupe...

Ha ha ha ha not too different than the delicious Cuban "ropa vieja".

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
I think that it is important to remember that not one of the restaurants that are now open in the Fishermen's Village was open when we came to LT in November. It has been a rush to the finish for the owners to get the sterile spaces that they had to work with made into welcoming eateries. Please address your concern about the French menu with the owner Jupiter. It could be an oversight on their part in that they only opened a couple of weeks ago and have had so much to do. Try them again if you like the food and prices.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hi Juniper-

The French chef (Jean-Louis?) and his wife opened a very small restaurant called "La Cantina" just before Thallassa on Playa Ballenas. Chef is "jubliado" yet loves to cook, so this small restaurant was a way to still practice his passion-

Because of the unbelievable price (140p for 2 courses then...now 150 and 280 for 3 courses), they outgrew that 8 table location and then moved to the space formerly occupied by La Salsa (hence the name) in Fishermens Village.

The menu changes DAILY based on what chef finds for sale at the market-- So they do not have a multi-language menu (like at Navias German restaurant)-

I only understand a little French; however, the excellent wait staff is always happy to translate (and the Chocolate Souffle I ALWAYS get for dessert requires no translation! :)

Susan

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Juniper:
When you patronize a French Restaurant in LT don't forget to be courteous and kiss on both cheeks. Bon appetite!

LTSteve

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
Ive been in places here(sosua) that only had german or italian menues, the italian was the most taxing and I dont think anyone ordered what they really wanted. just what they recognised lol

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Monty Python said .........."Always Look On The Bright Side of Life."
Pretty good advice.
And a great tune to start the day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Monty Python said .........."Always Look On The Bright Side of Life."
Pretty good advice.
And a great tune to start the day.

And when The English meet The French:

[video=youtube;DGXx56WqqJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXx56WqqJw[/video]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if the menu changes daily it should be in spanish, we are in a spanish speaking country.
you guys are bitching about stupid gringos who do not know any spanish while living in DR but you let french only menu slip because it is in a french restaurant. so instead you mock the lady who dares to go to the french restaurant - in DR - without speaking french. yeah, a crime, practically.

if you went to a chinese restaurant in las terrenas and it had chinese only menu - without pictures - you'd be lost, no? apply the same rule here.