fresh vegetables, fruits, fish, caberete, sousua areas

May 29, 2006
The other thing to look for is the strawberry lady who comes down to Sosua every once in a while. The DR has a surprising amount of crops that they can grow.

Definitely try the mangoes in the DR. There are about a dozen other fruits there that are either unknown or hard to find in the States. Many grow wild and the kids tend to get to them.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
There is indeed no comparison to the Maine lobster, or for that matter, the Norwegian ones. Then again, as I am a fantastic cook, I can make the local ones taste pretty good as well.:bunny:

I have seen fresh spinach here.

But if you have a weak heart, do not look at the price of fresh mushrooms. It is ridiculous what they charge for some fungus.

BTW how much IS the fungus

GOLFGUY

Oct 25, 2004
In Los Charamicos there is an excellent vegetable vendor that supplies all the restaurants in the area (and the owner is an exellent cook; ask for seasoning advice). He also stocks spices by the barrel and can advise on the best local seafood vendors). As for fish in D.R. I've gotten fish poisoning once after eating in playa dorada and very sick after buying a fish on the street. I stick to La Sirena or Pola for frozen fish, and as for fresh fish I go to Maimon in POP or La Bahia in Santiago (approx. 150 pesos/lb cooked whole fish).