From death to funeral?

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Sadly I've been to a few funerals during the short time I've been here, last one i went to was a few weeks ago. Normally if the person dies in the morning the funeral is done the same day. When you get to the funeral home there're usually a few cushioned chairs for the closest family members of the deceased, then there are benches for the rest of the family. I've never seen any big outburst at the funeral home like the ones shown on the news, but theres definitely people crying. Towards the end of the funeral (like at 4 since most mausoleums close at 5), theres is a religious person that says some words and everyone starts praying. Then everyone follows the hearse in their cars to the mausoleum. Its very tough to carry the casket through the mausoleum since its usually in very bad shape with small passageways. Even when you put caskets in mausoleums its advice to dent the casket with a hammer because they steal those metal doors all the time and then the casket, the metal door of my grandmothers mausoleum was stolen twice. Then everyone just watches as a guy puts concrete and the nameplate on the mausoleum. The next 9 days are fallowed by a 1 hour mass everyday and some food at the house of the family. If you would really like to contribute something talk to the family about helping them by making some of the food for after the mass.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
My experience is that the hysterics don't always wait until the cemetery

It makes me very uncomfortable. Never sure if some of the hysterics are not over done because this is expected here, the custom.

10+ years ago, a friend died in Sosua. When the body returned from autopsy it was in such state (fridges were down at forensics in SGO) we had to bury it fast. Anyway, we had a cement box ?whatever they call those things? built in the cemetery ahead of time and he was put in and sealed. We had reserved a priest at the local Catholic Church for a mass. When we showed up, everyone one was looking for the coffin. There was even a group of older women dressed in black that we had never seen before. They were probably included in the Church/Priest fee. A short mass, blessing of a cross made of H.D. motorcycle parts, a few words by some friends and that was it. A week later we all went to the grave site with a case of beer and partied with him. We did get some strange looks by the locals. (Anyone remember Luc Fafard)? Johnny Honda?s funeral was also different. Tierry Collards body was kept in a casket in his home packed in ice bags for several days waiting for his mother to fly down. I?m sure there are a lot of stories.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like funerals much more than weddings because there is no bachata and one does not have to mingle. also, you can wear the same thing twice, in fact, you can wear the same thing to all funerals. call me heartless, i don't care.
i have been to few funerals in DR, all of fairly old people whose death was somewhat expected. miesposo's abuela died a day before her husband's birthday and a huge bash was planned for that. it still happened albeit sans music. and some family members had quite colourful outfits as they travelled from all parts of the country expecting to attend a party.
i have never seen hysterics, people were talking about the diseased, remembering things. no one really cried. very peaceful affair.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
The funerals

I have a small foto shop here and have been called out to take photos of the dearly departed, grandmas, still borns and all in between. The casket is laid out in the LIVING ROOM, and when I arrive the top is taken off and the family gathers around granny for the funereal foto. This has to be done quickly, as the buzzing in the room is not chatter.
I find the worst part is the 9 days of sitshivver, were the already poor family has to provide food for evey lambon in the town, often putting them in dept.
My wife's cousin was recently murdered, and I asked if we should bring a tray of food, "no its not custom", I brought it anyway.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Blandinos" in Santo Domingo Does Creamations.

Since most Dominican "Pretend" to be of the Catholic Faith,creamations are not often done.
I have been to more funerals in a year in the DR than in all my life before coming here! They really do "Turn Out" here,as a sign of respect for the,"Dearly Departed",and their family.
I have an "All Black" outfit when I am " De Luta".
I look like a:,"Fat Old Buddy Holly"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i usually wear black too, i guess it is hard to shake off this habit.
and i too have seen more funerals here than i my whole life in poland. i thing in europe it is more hidden and more of a private affair when in DR it seems to gather all members of the family, even the most distant. and then friends. and neighbours.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Many "Surprises" at some funerals!!!

A woman who worked with me "found" 6 siblings at her father's funeral! Her mother was "VERY SURPRISED"!!!!! :eek:gre:
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc