Front Page - WaPo- Tax Sheltered Money from the DR

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The article and the corresponding photo of his wage receipt show the Haitian sugar cane worker making about $125.00 a month. Doesn't appear to be an outdated receipt.

IMO, the wealthy owners should pay those workers more. They could get easily afford it.

It's also interesting that it's illegal to hire Haitian workers....how does this company do that without being penalized? It's interesting they can flout the immigration laws to their advantage.

Proverbs 22:16 Whoever oppresses the poor for his own increase and whoever gives to the rich, both come to poverty
Still comes down to supply and demand. Nobody is forcing people to work for those wages.

Jan 9, 2004
The article and the corresponding photo of his wage receipt show the Haitian sugar cane worker making about $125.00 a month. Doesn't appear to be an outdated receipt.
The DR has minimums. If the worker is not being paid those minimums, then the company is in violation of the law. If the worker is being paid on a production incentive basis i.e. piecework (not a minimum salary)..........that may give a different result.

And lets not forget what would be the monthly salary for the same work in Haiti...............and the likely answer is............there is no work in Haiti.

IMO, the wealthy owners should pay those workers more. They could get easily afford it.
And in my opinion they should be paid what their labor is worth.........as dictated by the law and market place. This "the wealthy could easily pay more" is a red herring argument............particularly when used as a class warfare talking point. Labor should always be paid commensurate with skill level and risk taking by business owners should also be rewarded.

It's also interesting that it's illegal to hire Haitian workers....how does this company do that without being penalized? It's interesting they can flout the immigration laws to their advantage.
It is not illegal to hire Haitian workers. It is illegal to hire Haitian workers without work permits...........and then that the becomes an enforcement issue, one which both countries, for their own reasons............do not seem to fully care to enforce.
Proverbs 22:16 Whoever oppresses the poor for his own increase and whoever gives to the rich, both come to poverty
The "Opression" actually starts on the other side of the border..........forcing migration of citizens to find work, legally or illegally, to help support the real "oppressed".................those still living in Haiti under a multi generational failed government.

“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.” Mathew 4:19

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Agree they should pay more. But you can't force them. As others have said, it's supply and demand.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The wash post is in the business of selling papers. They often do these tear jerking stories to cater to their base. Their business section turned into a political column aiming disdain at big business, share holders and stock investors. I will NEVER feel guilty for having ambition, working hard, saving and spending my money how I see fit. If anyone is feeling overly guilty be my guest and make a short drive to the sugar cane fields and pass out hundred dollar bills.

Reactions: campesinadeatl

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The DR has minimums. If the worker is not being paid those minimums, then the company is in violation of the law. If the worker is being paid on a production incentive basis i.e. piecework (not a minimum salary)..........that may give a different result.

And lets not forget what would be the monthly salary for the same work in Haiti...............and the likely answer is............there is no work in Haiti.

And in my opinion they should be paid what their labor is worth.........as dictated by the law and market place. This "the wealthy could easily pay more" is a red herring argument............particularly when used as a class warfare talking point. Labor should always be paid commensurate with skill level and risk taking by business owners should also be rewarded.

It is not illegal to hire Haitian workers. It is illegal to hire Haitian workers without work permits...........and then that the becomes an enforcement issue, one which both countries, for their own reasons............do not seem to fully care to enforce.

The "Opression" actually starts on the other side of the border..........forcing migration of citizens to find work, legally or illegally, to help support the real "oppressed".................those still living in Haiti under a multi generational failed government.

“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.” Mathew 4:19

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
raise their salaries too much and the industry will just use a sugar cane harvester combine. That will put most of them out of work and out of free housing

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I'm almost certain you wanted to post this in the "woke" tread going on currently. :)

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
As a hard core capitalist, I do agree with supply and demand. But history has showed us that often when the gap between the rich and poor continues to grow larger, it ferments some kind of revolt. In order to be pragmatic, it would behoove the rich to tone it down and give back so the perception is they aren't greedy bastards.

But I don't believe just giving money to people works. They need to learn a trade and become valuable. I'm starting a pilot project in Haiti to do just that. We shall see if I live long enough to see it bear fruit.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If they had an education and actually worked, but many are just filling a uniform and looking for shade
Well things will be looking better for them...as now the Columbian police will be teaching them new tricks... and thus a new wave of crime on the public......

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
As a hard core capitalist, I do agree with supply and demand. But history has showed us that often when the gap between the rich and poor continues to grow larger, it ferments some kind of revolt. In order to be pragmatic, it would behoove the rich to tone it down and give back so the perception is they aren't greedy bastards.

But I don't believe just giving money to people works. They need to learn a trade and become valuable. I'm starting a pilot project in Haiti to do just that. We shall see if I live long enough to see it bear fruit.

I also think it's easy for us who have been born into rich countries with powerful governments and excellent education/healthcare to forget what life would be like if you had the misfortune of being born into a poor family in Haiti or any poor barrio in DR. Atrocious education. Parents who often struggle to find the basics. Terrible healthcare. Not a great foundation to go on and excel in life.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
This too shall pass. "Save the Haitian cane workers" is usually right after the "Save the working chica" movement followed by the "help the single mothers" march. It probably won't be long before John Deere will be harvesting the cane here.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This too shall pass. "Save the Haitian cane workers" is usually right after the "Save the working chica" movement followed by the "help the single mothers" march. It probably won't be long before John Deere will be harvesting the cane here.
I don’t necessarily agree with your posts Big but I find them entertaining

Reactions: MariaRubia

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Wages should be based on production and merit while never
lower than the law allows.
You do not have to go to the Bateys to see the widespread
greed in every job sector in this country.

Reactions: chicagoan14

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I also think it's easy for us who have been born into rich countries with powerful governments and excellent education/healthcare to forget what life would be like if you had the misfortune of being born into a poor family in Haiti or any poor barrio in DR. Atrocious education. Parents who often struggle to find the basics. Terrible healthcare. Not a great foundation to go on and excel in life.
Yes but,I would bet the many "born into the rich countries etc..." would have had on a relative scale the same problems you address here. Simply because the country was rich and powerful one did not enjoy the prividged life.Take a hard look at US poverty to see my point. I cant go much further here substainiating my point without being OT but I am sure because you are a very bright woman, you understand.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
MY MIL made her living selling arepa de mais until she got a job cooking for the Mirabal family ( uncle of las mariposas). She has a grade six education and was a single mom since my wife was seven years old. My wife has two degrees from UASD, another from Colombia and another from Canada. She lived in a convent while attaining her math degree in Santo Domingo and earned her board by teaching nuns. Any poor person can succeed if they can plan, get an education and not let barriers stop them. All it takes is brains, hard work and determination. Same with her cousin, she never worked outside the house and her husband is a taxidriver but three out four of her children are professionals, one a doctor, one an electrical engineer and one a business professional.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I just think they are well written. That’s all. What exactly do you mean johne ? Did I rub you the wrong way ? I think part of reading dr1 is for entertainment. Isn’t it ?

I just think they are well written. That’s all. What exactly do you mean johne ? Did I rub you the wrong way ? I think part of reading dr1 is for entertainment. Isn’t it ?
No, you did not rub me the wrong way. It was not my posting. Honestly, I felt it was a slight. Not my problem. And no I don not find DR1"entertaining". Far from it honestly.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Do you believe that $125 a month is a fair wage for any large corporation to pay someone?
I don't believe the free zone employees make much more. JD should be able to give us the current minimum wage. And yes I would pay them more and I'm willing to pay more for everything that contains it. The less sugar people consume the better. Sugar is toxic to the body.