Frutas (Fruit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Guava jelly has always been my favorite.
How about tamarindo = tamarind, makes a great juice drink.
Has anybody heard of a fruit called "n?spero"(?) and is there an english name for it?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I agree

Chiri,

I completely agree with you regarding the naming of fruits thus my reference to Mofi "no doubt". If it's not a tropical fruit then the name differs for sure from the generic name (not always but most times).

Now since we are talking about names of fruits:

?C?mo se dice "quenepa" en ingl?s? No pod?a encontrar la traducci?n.

Actually I just answered my own question because "quenepa is limoncillo".

LDG.

Chirimoya said:
In Spain, arandano is definitely blueberry and mora - blackberry. Strawberry is fresa and raspberry - frambuesa. I have difficulties remembering all these.

It is true though that in some places cranberry is translated as arandano. For example I've read articles in Spanish newspapers and magazines about US Thanksgiving dinner referring to pavo con salsa de arandano.

These forest fruits are not common in most Spanish-speaking countries, hence the confusion over naming (my theory, anyway).

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
AtlantaBob said:
Has anybody heard of a fruit called "n?spero"(?) and is there an english name for it?

There is a fruit in Spain called nispero - loquat in English. What happened is that the conquistadores and early Spanish settlers arrived in the Americas and saw all these new things that reminded them of fruits, trees, birds etc. back home.

Take the 'amapola' tree in the DR. Amapola in Spain is poppy. No mystery why they decided to give that name to this tree, with its vivid poppy-red blossoms.

I don't know the English name for the local nispero, though.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
How about prickly pears? They grow on cactus are sweet but the seeds are annoying.

Fresh figs are rare where I live. Dry figs and dates are easier to come by.

Wonder if they grow prickly pears in DR.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
How about prickly pears? They grow on cactus are sweet but the seeds are annoying.

Fresh figs are rare where I live. Fried figs and dates are easier to come by.

Wonder if they grow prickly pears in DR.

Fried figs! :eek:

Prickly pear is called 'tuna' in the DR, but it's not edible, or at least not considered edible: I haven't risked finding out.

In Spain at least the edible ones are called 'chumbos'.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Nispero...

AtlantaBob said:

according to my dictionary is medlar(Mespilus germanica), an European deciduous tree. I remember a fruit that was called pomo ,anyone know this fruit?

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Chirimoya said:
Fried figs! :eek:

You are fast and I'm on donkey speed (dial up). You caught me before I edited. :nervous:

Tuna? LOL so what do you call tuna then? Opps we'll have to make a new thread on fish.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Tuna(the fish)...

Anna Coniglio said:
You are fast and I'm on donkey speed (dial up). You caught me before I edited. :nervous:

Tuna? LOL so what do you call tuna then? Opps we'll have to make a new thread on fish.

is called atun, accent over the u.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Only 31 posts into this thread, and I remember the very useful glossary on the Dominican Cooking site. Also in the articles archive there is a series on this theme. There's a glossary thread in the forum too.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
china is more used in the DR for orange then naranja.
chinola, what is that one again?
limoncillo = similar to lichees, those green little things they sell on the beach
mamey = no idea how you translate that

Bartolomeo

Its depends on what part of the country you are in. In el cibao, they call orange, naranja.

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
mkohn said:
lim?n / lemon

Has anybody ever had lim?n translated as lime?
mkohn
As far as I know Limon is lime not just in DR but also in central america.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
KaWilli...I don't know if that is the way it is spelled but I had this given to me the other day, first time. It is from the Sosua area. It is a small red fruit with a spongy texture that is excellent. The guy gave me about six of these. I could have easily eaten thirty. This is a treat. If you ever see them, try them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Snuffy said:
KaWilli...I don't know if that is the way it is spelled but I had this given to me the other day, first time. It is from the Sosua area. It is a small red fruit with a spongy texture that is excellent. The guy gave me about six of these. I could have easily eaten thirty. This is a treat. If you ever see them, try them.

Cahuil (also known as mara?on in Spanish) - cashew.
Link to pic.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Link to pic.

Hi Chiri,
not to be picky, but we are in the language section of the forum, so Cajuil in Dominican Spanish, at least, is with a "J" not an "H".

Cool fruit -and I believe related to the actual chirimoya fruit- and with no known translation that I'm aware of: GUAN?BANA.
cheers,

- Tordok
;)

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I just got back from Costa Rica and had guan?bana and was wondering how to translate it to my mom, Tordok. Then I read this thread and read Chiri's suggestion of the dominicancooking.com list. It said guan?bana in English is soursop.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, Guanabana - the unappetisingly-named soursop. Chirimoya in English, BTW is custard apple. Chirimoya is much sweeter than guanabana. I love the drink they make with guanabana here - isn't it called "champola"?

What about granadillo, though? Does anyone know what that's called in English?
Not passion fruit. I know that in some countries passion fruit is granadillo. Here it is chinola. I mean the DR granadillo - the much larger pale yellow things that grow on vines and taste a bit like pears. Delicious in juice, in fact extra delicious when combined with passion fruit.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
No, I'm not talking cashews...I talking about something else from the Sosua area. I have been here for four years and this is the first I saw of this red fruit.

Chirimoya said:
Link to pic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Snuffy said:
No, I'm not talking cashews...I talking about something else from the Sosua area. I have been here for four years and this is the first I saw of this red fruit.

I know what they are then - "cajuilitos soliman". We have a tree right here. They are pinky-red on the outside, whitish inside, and smaller than the cashew fruit.

Check out this amazing site with translations of plant names in every language that has a name for them. It appears that "soliman" is a corruption of Suriname. English names listed: Bell fruit, Water apple, Water cherry, Watery rose apple.

Now if only I could get this site to solve the granadillo mystery...

Status
Not open for further replies.