Full Full flight and airport

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ok. And then what after landing in Santo Domingo? What US European vacationer (not that many me thinks) wants to spend more than one second in Santo Domingo. After $400 round trip, much $ to get anywhere else here they may want to visit..like the beach. And then they need to returnto SDQ to get home?

I really don't understand your point if any.

I have been flying to STo Domingo for the past 10 years a couple times a year to reach Samana. I don't spend a second in SD head straight to the north east in taxi. I count that in the price of travel, one of reasons Samana will never be Punta Cana cause it s a turn off to have another 2 hrs road trip, but there is no other choices. Keep in mind that I am traveling with 2 young children so even when Jetblue flew to AZS, the cost of the taxi ida y vuelta +3 tickets still came out cheaper. I am sure for a solo traveler, it may be diffent. Also, from NYC there are flights at all hours and I like to fly on the last flight of the day after work.

There is a whole website in French were people share the cost of taxi from SD to LT, even as far as Punta Cana. I have friends who overnight in SD then take the guagua.

I have landed in Santiago and my taxistas son was picking up another couple from the US the same time. Flying into POP is generally much more expensive since there are lot less flights and the taxi price is nearly the same.

There are 1 or 2 flights per day from Paris to SD, so there are quite a few people landing in the capital. Most won't spend a minute in the capital and? Like I said most of the passengers are Dominican/Dominica american flying into SD (many don't even stay in the capital afterwards I assume) , but I noticed more and more Euro and American in our flights for the past year or 2. I remember AE making the same comment recently.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Africaida. I respect what you have pointed out but just don’t think that holds true for your point of a $400 great deal to SDQ. I’m thrilled you do not mind using the transports you use. But for weeklong break of schoolkids and their families who want to be on the beach, that $400 does not make the grade. Not everyone has the freetime you might have to wander around and drag luggage from one point to another. So it is great that you can do, but not everyone wants to. Again my argument was that I think that $400 gets you to Santo Domingo but it quickly adds up to way more than I would want to spend for the inconvenience. When we go away, after the plane we want to be wherever we need to beas directly as possible. FYI, I remember arriving on the magnificent island if Martinique and then spending close to an hour on the “shuttle bus” to our hotel. We pretty much vowed we could not/would not do that again. With only limited time for vacation.....I do not want that kibd of arrival if at all possible.
Regards

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Africaida. I respect what you have pointed out but just don’t think that holds true for your point of a $400 great deal to SDQ. I’m thrilled you do not mind using the transports you use. But for weeklong break of schoolkids and their families who want to be on the beach, that $400 does not make the grade. Not everyone has the freetime you might have to wander around and drag luggage from one point to another. So it is great that you can do, but not everyone wants to. Again my argument was that I think that $400 gets you to Santo Domingo but it quickly adds up to way more than I would want to spend for the inconvenience. When we go away, after the plane we want to be wherever we need to beas directly as possible. FYI, I remember arriving on the magnificent island if Martinique and then spending close to an hour on the “shuttle bus” to our hotel. We pretty much vowed we could not/would not do that again. With only limited time for vacation.....I do not want that kibd of arrival if at all possible.
Regards

We agree then, I pointed out that is the reason why the Nort East coast will never be Punta Cana. Many people don't have the will to do that (including some friends of mine who wanted to join me on my vacations), although it s really not that bad (guess I am used to it though).

As far as costs, I spend an extra 300 R/T in a nice comfortable mini van so it adds up, but nothing outrageous for family of 3 (an extra 100 per person).

We went to SouthernThailand for 10 days 2 years ago, the 20+hr flight +the 12 hr time difference was my threshold. Would never do it again for such a short time, but what a stunning country!!!! :)

Last edited:

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Ok. And then what after landing in Santo Domingo? What US or European vacationer (not that many me thinks) wants to spend more than one second in Santo Domingo. After $400 round trip, how much $ will it cost them to get anywhere else here they may want to visit..like the beach. And then return toSanto Domingo to get home? Figure it out.

The capitol is awesome!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The capitol is awesome!

Never think avery body likes what you like, one thing is true, untill few years ago Dominican goverment only showed our country as a place full of beaches, things changed and now is showing a whole country, there are Urban tourist that het bored at the beach, and the turism in the city is growing every year, search on you tube and you will fond vloggers that split their vacations with some nights at the beach and some noghts in Santo Domingo. There are a lot cities erround the world that do not have beaches and still they receive millions of tourist. I chatted with a french guy while i was in Santo Domingo, he told us that went to Punta Cana and then read about Santo Domingo and decided to book 1 night to explore Colonial Zone and he was really happy to do it. By the way Im now in Mexico City and not beach here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As for the 'Vacation packages' mentioned earlier..... I can vouch for their affordability.

Last year I was stumped on visiting my UK daughter....

A la carte.... the airfare was almost $3000.... plus hotel
AA Vacations sent me for $2100...........air/hotel package

It works !!

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Never think avery body likes what you like, one thing is true, untill few years ago Dominican goverment only showed our country as a place full of beaches, things changed and now is showing a whole country, there are Urban tourist that het bored at the beach, and the turism in the city is growing every year, search on you tube and you will fond vloggers that split their vacations with some nights at the beach and some noghts in Santo Domingo. There are a lot cities erround the world that do not have beaches and still they receive millions of tourist. I chatted with a french guy while i was in Santo Domingo, he told us that went to Punta Cana and then read about Santo Domingo and decided to book 1 night to explore Colonial Zone and he was really happy to do it. By the way Im now in Mexico City and not beach here.

Riva Riva. Please Never to try to compare the incomparable Mexico City (by even having to mention no beaches) with Anything we are discussing here of Santo Domingo. So disappointed in that remark from you. Just to say La Ciudad Mexico is acclaimed as one of the Great cities in this world. The culture (remember that-word?) offered there is neverending. But no one goes to Mexico City ever thinking beaches. I never understand with all my dominican friends why they seem to pooh pooh Mexico (not just now, in the past)and most just would not think of trying some Mexican culture. It is so close to DR and does speak the same language? Yes that is a whole other thread discussion.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Riva Riva. Please Never to try to compare the incomparable Mexico City (by even having to mention no beaches) with Anything we are discussing here of Santo Domingo. So disappointed in that remark from you. Just to say La Ciudad Mexico is acclaimed as one of the Great cities in this world. The culture (remember that-word?) offered there is neverending. But no one goes to Mexico City ever thinking beaches. I never understand with all my dominican friends why they seem to pooh pooh Mexico (not just now, in the past)and most just would not think of trying some Mexican culture. It is so close to DR and does speak the same language? Yes that is a whole other thread discussion.

Well, as far as I know Santo Domingo is also a cultural city, maybe you didnt know as you mention, just in case https://everything-everywhere.com/unesco-world-heritage-site-293-colonial-city-of-santo-domingo/

Mexico city yes is bigger city than Santo Domingo, but the best point of compararion is that one both places are diferents and that is what make both intresting places to visit for culture. No body wants to go to 2 diferents city and see the same thing.

Numbers in Santo Domingo are growing and more hotels under construccion and planned for the next 2 years to open, so if they are investing is because of something.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Well, as far as I know Santo Domingo is also a cultural city, maybe you didnt know as you mention, just in case https://everything-everywhere.com/unesco-world-heritage-site-293-colonial-city-of-santo-domingo/

Mexico city yes is bigger city than Santo Domingo, but the best point of compararion is that one both places are diferents and that is what make both intresting places to visit for culture. No body wants to go to 2 diferents city and see the same thing.

Numbers in Santo Domingo are growing and more hotels under construccion and planned for the next 2 years to open, so if they are investing is because of something.

Sorry Riva I simply disagree. We can agree to disagree. There is imho absolutely 0 to compare SDwith Mexico City. Believe me you cannot visit Mexico City in 2 days. Or 1.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sorry Riva I simply disagree. We can agree to disagree. There is imho absolutely 0 to compare SDwith Mexico City. Believe me you cannot visit Mexico City in 2 days. Or 1.

You are correct. No comparison at all. There are not broad daylight abductions and beheadings in Santo Domingo, but Mexico City......

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Regards

Many persons globally love a quick get a way to Santo Domingo, to escape their own proper winter climates. These persons do not want the beaches, nor AI's, but do enjoy lounging pool side with temperatures in the 30c/86f range, with all the amenities many hotels in SD offer. There are many different circles who travel, and one should not box all together.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The main foreign influence among younger Dominicans (say 40 years old and under) is from the USA. However, Mexico was a very important place for Dominicans before the US got to be the main foreign influence. The city that people used to talk about and was the goal to at least visit/shop/study/live once in a lifetime was Havana, Cuba. That was like the greatest thing in the world. Print media from Havana was very sought after and respected by Dominicans from top to bottom. But, as anyone could understand, things change. Right behind Havana was Mexico City. In fact, for much of the 20th Century the predominant music played in Dominican radio was Mexican. An entire generation of Dominicans know the lyrics to many Mexican music due to this. Then NYC became "the center of the world" to Dominicans and Havana fell off a cliff (mostly due to themselves) and Mexico City took a very second place. Give it some time and some other city will replace NYC too among Dominicans. The thing is that for the first time since the first half of the 1500s, Santo Domingo is becoming a relevant city again for the region, later on perhaps for the continent, and maybe for the world. That, my friend, might be a game changer among Dominicans.

Last edited:

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
The main foreign influence among younger Dominicans (say 40 years old and under) is from the USA. However, Mexico was a very important place for Dominicans before the US got to be the main foreign influence. The city that people used to talk about and was the goal to at least visit/shop/study/live once in a lifetime was Havana, Cuba. That was like the greatest thing in the world. Print media from Havana was very sought after and respected by Dominicans from top to bottom. But, as anyone could understand, things change. Right behind Havana was Mexico City. In fact, for much of the 20th Century the predominant music played in Dominican radio was Mexican. An entire generation of Dominicans know the lyrics to many Mexican music due to this. Then NYC became "the center of the world" to Dominicans and Havana fell off a cliff (mostly due to themselves) and Mexico City took a very second place. Give it some time and some other city will replace NYC too among Dominicans. The thing is that for the first time since the first half of the 1500s, Santo Domingo is becoming a relevant city again for the region, later on perhaps for the continent, and maybe for the world. That, my friend, might be a game changer among Dominicans.

I agree but just to say...Mexico City is about so very much more than the outstanding music that has come from there.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Thank you for your insightful approach to meaningful adult conversation. Have a blessed day.

Own up to it man! Discussing beheadings, abductions? What did this have to do with a try at intellectualism! Do you know what that word means by the eay? Your comment on culture and your very low but insightful ? discussion on Mexico City? What a low life condition you must have. You need to stop defending and learn to credit other places and people. Too enmeshed you are. Very sad! Pathetic comment!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As for the 'Vacation packages' mentioned earlier..... I can vouch for their affordability.

Last year I was stumped on visiting my UK daughter....

A la carte.... the airfare was almost $3000.... plus hotel
AA Vacations sent me for $2100...........air/hotel package

It works !!

3 000 to fly to the UK?? Unless you are traveling 1st /business class ...That would be a crazy fare! London is one of the cheapest city as far as airfare to visit from the US east coast.