funeral directors..a morbid question..

G

gary short

10-4..........We call it a wake......and you always end up punching the shyte out of cousin Jimmy.

Sep 19, 2005
bob, no sense of humour or what?!
guns are not commonly associated with good health, are they?
i found the funeral home doubled with an ammo shop amusing. a bit like brugal family member working as a therapist for alcoholics... (which, accidentally, is truth as well, eh, the irony.....)
ps i have nothing against guns, funerals, ron or alcoholics

great sense of humor, ask anyone who has met me.

But I dont see things as you do i guess, because I associate guns to STAYING healthy.

I dont pump my view on that issue...but I certainly DEFEND it.

so is the op making the jump over the pond or not?

personally , I think there are very few businesses that people can be in across the world that will fly anything like they do at home...IN THE DR!!!

bob

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is for mavethebrave, the original poster from UK, if you can get someone to show you a video clip of the funeral on this thread
http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/61589-father-two-children-died.html#post507212
you'll understand what I was getting at earlier. Compared to UK grief is much more obviously displayed, you need to be prepared for the shouting, screeching type of laments etc etc. Much healthier psychologically of course than the more restrained displays of grief you would be used to in UK but a bit hard on the eardrums until you get used to it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
are all burials ...

in crypts as opposed to in ground burials? I think someone mentioned this to me once before.And if so would the reason be because of custom or as in some low lying parts of the U.S. the threat of flooding?
john

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
in crypts as opposed to in ground burials? I think someone mentioned this to me once before.And if so would the reason be because of custom or as in some low lying parts of the U.S. the threat of flooding?
john
Or financial reasons. I've seen crypts that are 6 levels high on a single plot.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Since we are on this subject, I wonder how many expats will decide to make the island their final resting place?

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
and further to your point..

Since we are on this subject, I wonder how many expats will decide to make the island their final resting place?

will they chose a gated community? Will the funeral director bury them on time or manana? Will the casket be made too small? Will they get clear title to their spot? Robbed when they are not looking?

Sep 19, 2005
You got me.

and i always tell younger guys to listen to the older generation..

i need to heed my own advice

for sure the flip flops is the give away to my flawed thinking

bob

Sep 19, 2005
It slows me down......

but another note on the funerals...Isnt it amazing how many of the dead persons friends whip out their cell phones and start snapping pictures of their buddy in his messed up state for long lasting memories!!!!!!!

bbbbboby

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

Assuming I have any say in the matter :rolleyes: I intend remaining ad infinitum. That's assuming I go of natural causes or traffic accident. If, on the other hand someone bumps me off ahead of time it's a full PM back in UK. Just so that everyone knows................:)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
........... If, on the other hand someone bumps me off ahead of time it's a full PM back in UK. Just so that everyone knows................:)
Will you be requiring a ONE way ticket for this or a return? Just so I know whether to reserve a plot near where I am going to be resting.

Actually, I am hopeful that my golfing buddies will be distributing my ashes on the Tee of number 4 (Santiago) or number 12 (at Playa Grande)............... one last GOOD drive across the hazards & nicely on to the fairway :bunny: please!! :bunny: ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so far i have only seen one funeral - that of minovio's grandma. i was impressed by the swiftness of it, don't they have mortuaries here, with fridges for bodies? grandma died friday afternoon (we were on the way to visit her...) and funeral was on saturday morning. accidentally the whole family was already in POP as grandpa's birthday celebration was set for a following sunday. hence pretty colourful outfits of the mourners - they wore whatever they had...
as to the funeral itself - it wasn't a burial, they fir the coffin into family's mausoleum. i have never seen anything like it - POP's old cemetery is very crowded and there was lots of gymnastics with the coffin that was held horizontally, vertically and sidewise. i really expected grandma to pop out anytime.
quite an experience, that was...

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
I guess that you could be successful if you attract the right kind of clients (...and I don't mean dead ones) with money, that is. I have been to several funerals in the DR from the very poor to the upper class. I know of people who have died in the morning and have been buried in the early afternoon. Their eyes were pasted closed with some type of glue. Cotton was coming out of their nose and mouth. The casket was placed on top of blocks of ice. Everything was very unsettling. On the other hand, I have also been to funerals that have all the elegance that money can buy. So, once again, I guess your success depends on your target clientele.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The dead are usually buried fresh here (no embalming, it's too expensive), so they plant 'em the same day, or the next morning.

They usually use aboveground crypts because there is underlying stone below, too tough to dig a hole. Cheaper to have a Haitian throw up a few blocks and seal it up afterwards.

Also, many cemeteries rent crypts here instead of selling them, so make sure that you appoint RELIABLE people to pay your rent after you are gone, or they might just pull your body out if the rent didn't get paid as it should have. (think about THAT the next time you are laying in bed sick, jeje)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Another favorite of mine - the funeral procession. I would guess the majority consist of a hearse, followed by between 5 and 200 motocycles, and then a bus for the ladies too bashful to ride on the back of a moto in a dress.

Someone "important" died if their procession consists mainly of cars and jeepetas, and few motores.