garmin gps maps

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Okay, just finished loading the map from Jos? (WP3GI).
Looks good from my home location (lol), will see how it is when I drive tomorrow.

One strange difference in loading the map to the micro-SD.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 and the folder on the micro-SD is called "Map", not "Garmin".

I say strange because I thought I remember making it "Garmin" originally back in 2011.

D in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That's odd. On mine, I changed the folder name to "map" and it doesn't see it.

Well, we are in the D.R. where strange things happen.... lol

I'm pretty sure I made it "Garmin" when I originally installed the "La Hispaniola" map.

I turned on the GPS and sure enough the map came up, it even showed the tracks (Bread Crumbs) of where I had been.

When I get time I will fire up the laptop, I think I have all the GPS data, downloads, etc. saved there and take a look.

Guess I just had too many (Root) beers..... :smoke:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Okay, just finished loading the map from Jos? (WP3GI).
Looks good from my home location (lol), will see how it is when I drive tomorrow.

One strange difference in loading the map to the micro-SD.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450 and the folder on the micro-SD is called "Map", not "Garmin".

I say strange because I thought I remember making it "Garmin" originally back in 2011.

D in Santiago
I also have 1450LMT, I had mine on Garmin and it never changed.

As my brief review of the map...
I brought it to my work today and had brief testing in Moca with company van and I find it was missing big part of the city but it has many POIs and correct street names. I have found that some of the POIs are missing like ATMs and bars (I guess they are new?) but I found it useful in finding hotel and supermarcado. This would be great GPS for those are in major cities (Ie Santo Domingo, Santiago, etc...) and if your destination is major POIs like resorts/hotels, golf courses, banks and etc...

The question is how well it performs in the Santo Domingo/Santiago. It looks like it has great maps of Santiago but since I don't have a car yet, there's no way of knowing how it truly performs.

I'll keep this in for awhile since it has all the POIs I need like golf course and resorts/hotels...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have found a great tool for those of you have multiple maps. Since Garmin unit can only handle one map in SD card and me hate carrying multiple memory cards and too lazy to go to computer every time to switch between maps. There's a program called GmapTool that combine maps.

Download Gmaptool HERE

1. Put maps you want to combine in root folder of your choice (ie C:\Mapjoin)
2. install the program.
3. Open Gmaptool.
4. Click Add Files and select img files to combine.
5. Click Join on top and name your file on Output file.
6. Click Join All on the bottom

With in seconds you will have multiple maps in one *.img files. I don't know about other models but good thing about 1450 is I can choose which maps to use between multiple maps And you can see the difference between maps on screen by choosing multiple maps in one country.

Hope you enjoy.

Last edited:

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
What's the difference between that and doing the "tools > settings > map > info route?

Does it "layer" various maps on top of each other?
It is for those who have older unit and those who are having trouble loading multiple maps on SD card. I put two three maps in my card and I was having trouble so I search the web and found that program. I must say it's working pretty well now and added more maps(Jamaica) for the sake of testing.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
What's the difference between that and doing the "tools > settings > map > info route?

Does it "layer" various maps on top of each other?
It is for those who have older unit and those who are having trouble loading multiple maps on SD card. I put two three maps in my card and I was having trouble so I search the web and found that program. I must say it's working pretty well now and added more maps(Jamaica) for the sake of testing.

La-Hispaniola

Dec 13, 2012
www.la-hispaniola.com
If you find information missing or wrong all you have to do is send me that info, la-hispaniola.com is a comunity project, just send your waypoints, tracks of missing streets, etc. and will be in the next version for everybody to enjoy it.
It is free, take advantage of it... besides if you think something is not as good you have the chance to make it better helping the project.

if you need any extra info about loading maps etc, there is a forum for specific questions abut GPS.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you find information missing or wrong all you have to do is send me that info, la-hispaniola.com is a comunity project, just send your waypoints, tracks of missing streets, etc. and will be in the next version for everybody to enjoy it.
It is free, take advantage of it... besides if you think something is not as good you have the chance to make it better helping the project.

if you need any extra info about loading maps etc, there is a forum for specific questions abut GPS.
THREE POSTS, three SPAM links, welcome aboard.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002

THANK YOU La-Hispaniola/Neptuno for your work and FREE GPS maps of the Republica Dominicana!!! I just updated to v 3.4 and topo 1.0.

When asked about RD-based GPS maps, I recommend and point others to your page.