Gaspar Hern?ndez sand removal

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
La Lucha

The really good thing is that the local (long-time residents) neighbors now feel empowered and stood up to the truckers....and nobody got hurt. Mark - great job.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Unfortunately, it would appear the conditions were not adhered to, at least with regard to the date. Kudos, Mark, for your continued struggle on this one.

El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

All this week there have been a lot of dump trucks driving west through Cabarete, but it appears as though they are empty as I cannot see sand piled up above the sides of the trucks which I used to see.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
All this week there have been a lot of dump trucks driving west through Cabarete, but it appears as though they are empty as I cannot see sand piled up above the sides of the trucks which I used to see.

Well I spoke too soon. Since I posted the above, I have now seen 4 dump trucks going west through Cabarete full of sand and covered by tarps.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Well I spoke too soon. Since I posted the above, I have now seen 4 dump trucks going west through Cabarete full of sand and covered by tarps.

Ok, so now I am really confused. I have been seeing different dump trucks full of sand going East through Cabarete. And there are still some travelling West as well.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Sand Removal.

I have seen quite a few dump trucks full of sand going west through Cabarete today. No idea where they are coming from but I wonder if they have started taking sand from the Las Canas area outside of Gaspar Hernandez again?

Is there anyone in that area who has seen anything?

headnerd

Dec 28, 2006
Not from Las Canas

The sand that you are seeing in Cabarete has not been coming from Las Canas. My understanding at this time is that there is a new, legal sand mine that is not on or near a beach.

The interesting part about this whole saga is that there have always been several good (and ecologically sound) mines/quarries in the area... certain people did not want to pay the mine owners for the sand, though, and preferred to get it free from the beach.

In the end, the truck drivers (who are not paid all that much to begin with) make the same amount of money - the people who own the businesses do lose some of their profits when buying from a mine. it's a small price to pay for saving our beaches, though.

-Mark

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
FYI. This was raised on the local TV channel again. They have started it up again. Taking from the end of the road. No neighbor wants to say anything about " mi amigos" who are giving out jobs shoveling sand to help destroy the local environment. Early morning rumbling of trucks and the road is turning to total junk.