Gastronomy Galore!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Formosano2000 said:
Try Da Nancy, which is tucked away in a back alley behind Hamaca. Decent rustic Italian food, though not as cheap as before. It's still (well, relatively speaking) well-shielded from tourists, so you'll have a better chance running into locals and (mostly Italian) expats there.

i have been to da nancy and like it quite a bit. The decor is sorta ordinary...and if you stay away from the boring (yet decent and affordable) pasta dishes and go with the specials you will find some real surprises. The seafood with rice was pleantiful with lagostino, camarones, calimari, clams and other things. DAMN GOOD! and they also give you a free appetizer of fried veggies (not exactly tempura tho).

Dinner for 4 with tip and wine i think ran us 2000 pesos back in february. (i figured that out to be about 20 bucks a person....not bad since we had wine and drinks). I just wondered if we got the "gringo" price.

When in B.C. i pretty much eat my meals at Fernando's. Decent food at GREAT prices for a tourista on a budget. I kinda liked that "blue" place on duarte...but they seemed to have raised their prices A LOT....and while the dominican food and the fish are good...i have been harrassed by some locals (specificaly one haitian man who came up and sat at my table and started eating off my plate...the owners there did NOTHING to help me even tho i was clearly startled....i finaly cussed the guy out in spanish LOUDLY and he finaly left).

So yeah..i like Da Nancy and Fernando's because they arent on the main strip. I guess my question is if there are other decent places off of duarte where i can go and get good food without being overcharged and accosted.

elhijodelpeje

Sep 28, 2008
Tas perdio tocayo....
Un Abrazo
R.R.

Wasakaka, or the more correct 'guasacaca' originates from Venezuelan indians. It's a very hot chili sauce (like 'guacamole') that usually goes with barbecued beef and yucca. In many Venezuelan restaurants you can ask for one of two versions, the green or the red guasacaca. The green guasacaca is made with green sweet peppers and is not hot.

Mirador