Germans moving away

MarkusL1

New member
May 3, 2004
52
0
0
Hello you all!

I read in a few threads and other articles that a lot of Germans selling their properties and moving away from the northcoast.
Why is that and where are they moving to? Another country or somewhere else in the domenican republic?

Thanks

Mark
 

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
2,586
100
0
49
www.azconatechnologies.com
Any particular reason?

Is German currency losing value here?

XXX XXXX XXXXX XXXXXX XX XXXXX?

OK, I edited myself, I really didn't mean to start any crap. Sorry to all of you, and especially the Germans.

And I really do want to know why they are leaving, if they are.
 
Last edited:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
1,314
56
0
It happened before on the North Coast!

MarkusL1 said:
Hello you all!

I read in a few threads and other articles that a lot of Germans selling their properties and moving away from the northcoast.
Why is that and where are they moving to? Another country or somewhere else in the domenican republic?

Thanks

Mark

When I first moved to the North Coast in 1989, There were many French Canadians living on the North Coast and then the Germans started coming here and buying up Real-Estate big time, the French Canadian's left for Cuba.
Now the American's have been looking for a safe haven close to the States post 9/11.
I see the current trend moving this way......I have never had as much interest Via my web site from Americans looking for investment and second homes in the event that the **** hits the fan in the US.

Gringo
 

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
4,560
146
63
53
www.oceanworld.net
MrMike said:
Is German currency losing value here?

Are they being forced to bathe?


Well since make fun of German stereotype about 'bathing,' why don't we talk about Americans knowledge of World Geography? I can tell you one thing, it STINKS.

For starters, in Germany they use the Euro - and it has gained in strength against the US$ recently, so that wouldn't be the reason.

As a German student in the US, I was amazed at the total lack of any knowledge in basic history or geography. In 9th grade, most students could not pick Florida on a map, nor did they know the capital of Florida (this was a school in Florida, mind you). This was pretty sad. I could barely speak English and had to tell them that Miami was not the capital.

Oh, I almost forgot, the rednecks I was in school with in Florida, smelled far worse than my friends in school back in Germany. :eek:
 

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
1,768
24
38
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Oh, I almost forgot, the rednecks I was in school with in Florida, smelled far worse than my friends in school back in Germany. :eek:[/QUOTE]
You actually ADMIT that your FRIENDS smell, boy are you in for it if they read this :classic: :classic: :classic:
 

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
729
2
0
Let me guess...you're German?

Conchman said:
As a German student in the US, I was amazed at the total lack of any knowledge in basic history or geography. In 9th grade, most students could not pick Florida on a map, nor did they know the capital of Florida (this was a school in Florida, mind you). This was pretty sad. I could barely speak English and had to tell them that Miami was not the capital.


Easy there fella.
 

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
2,586
100
0
49
www.azconatechnologies.com
Oh dear god, I didn't mean to start a war, it was such a short comment.

Not like any of us go around sniffing Germans or rednecks anyway. As for geography it can be argued that it's only necessary to know the location of places you intend to go in the near future. The shower for instance... or "Nueba Yol"
 

Rattus_Rattus

Bronze
Apr 3, 2004
1,564
42
0
Maybe we should stick to the question of this thread, before "moderator" sends a lightning- and close this one as well..

( eg kann barra le ?ve "MrMike ) :speechles
 

KenoshaChris

New member
Jan 4, 2002
526
6
0
My grandfather's and father's knowledge of geography was sufficient enough to find their way to Europe twenty years apart to kick your butts in two wars that you started.

Now, to get back on topic, with the greying of America, many baby boomers are looking for more affordable places to retire in. The home I have on the north coast would cost me at least three times as much in a desirable area of Florida, the capitol of which is Tallahassee, which lies in the far northern quarter of the state. Americans are seeing value in the DR and not only on the north coast. One factor that made the north coast particularly attractive to me was that its nearly hurricane proof. A hurricane would have to thread the needle a few times to directly hit the north coast. You're in peril of hurricanes anywhere in coastal Florida.

The other factor is the weather. I live in Wisconsin, the capitol of which is Madison. Winters here can be brutal and winters in Florida can get iffy if you're looking for perfect weather in January or February. Another 750 miles south of Miami (which is the largest city in the State of Florida), you have that perfect winter weather. I jump in the car, drive to O'Hare, which is in Illinois, the capitol of which is Springfield and change planes in either Miami or Puerto Rico, whose capitol is San Juan and its a short hop over international water (no capitol) to POP whose capitol is POP.

Economics are also a factor. I just plain live alot cheaper in the DR, the capitol of which is Santo Domingo, than I do in the States, the capitol of which is Washington, D.C. With less income during future retirement, the cost of living factor is a significant consideration. Others my age are seeing that too and are beginning to look for homes in non-conventional geographical areas.

So I have two questions for those of you that believe we're collectively a bunch of idiots up here. First, how many men has your contry put on the moon? Second, what recurring error did I purposely make in this post?
 

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
2,516
70
0
67
www.polaris-fs.com
OK Chris

capitol / capital

Now maybe can we get back on track.

I for one, am interested in what causes one group on the North Coast to be replaced by another.

Gregg
 

Rattus_Rattus

Bronze
Apr 3, 2004
1,564
42
0
KenoshaChris said:
My grandfather's and father's knowledge of geography was sufficient enough to find their way to Europe twenty years apart to kick your butts in two wars that you started.

So I have two questions for those of you that believe we're collectively a bunch of idiots up here. First, how many men has your contry put on the moon? Second, what recurring error did I purposely make in this post?

Hmm i think it was with help of the german design of the v3/v4 rocket/fuel and with help from POW top-scientists from germany. So yes USA and germany worked togheter putting a man on the moon..

(In other words- STOP FIGHTING :cry: )

1ww started because the serbian "Black hand" org assasinated the austrian/hungarian prinz ferdinand and his wife in 1914.

And USA was not part in the 1ww before end of 1917, Hungary, Turkey Russia and Austria ++ was out of the war. USA were in one big battle in Europe in end of 1ww.
 

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
772
58
0
Gringo said:
Now the American's have been looking for a safe haven close to the States post 9/11.

I have seen several comments recently on this thread and others regarding Americans wanting to buy property in the DR in case of a threat to the U.S. I just don't understand the logic in this thinking. First of all, if there were ever to be such a problem in the U.S. that people were fleeing the country, I would think that most countries in the world would be in for some serious trouble since s**t flows down and the U.S. is basically at the top of the world food chain. I for one would not want to be stuck on an island (especially one that is shared by TWO third world countries) when the s**t hit the fan. Sure it would be nice to be in a tropical location but that thinking would soon end when supplies started running low, gas prices went skyhigh (or worse yet, gas stopped being imported all together), medical supplies started running low, etc. Also, if there was a mass influx of foreigners to the DR who could better afford to buy up all the supplies or be able to sustain themselves than the low class Dominincans, eventually they would rebel if their lives depended on it. I predict the situation would be worse than staying put in the U.S. Just something to think about.
 

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
7,716
6
0
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Wow, why does every thread have to be like this especially when I didn't get a chance to start it?:) MrMike, you seem to be trying to steal my thunder! LOL

In all seriousness, I think that the North Coast had a big percentage of LOW END Germans living here and they are leaving because it is too expensive for them now. There are still a lot of Germans here on the upper end of the food chain who have no plans on leaving. I don't know where they are going to but the ones I have bought property from are in Germany. There have been a few Germans fleeing because Interpol was on their asses also.

Before you try to fry me I happen to be of German background born in the US and don't have any problems with the Germans here or anywhere else. I am simply posting my observations.

Scott
 

JanH

New member
Dec 26, 2002
497
0
0
Markus - We bought our house in Sosua from a German couple who moved back - mainly because the man was aging and needed to be closer to family. This is just one instance, but maybe since the original populace was German in the Sosua area, they are all older and moving back - and not being replaced by younger germans. I think someone else said the nationality on the north coast is cyclic.

Fiesta Mama - One logic for fleeing the US deals with TEMPORARY flight, in the event of chemical or biological attack.
 

gerd

New member
Jan 10, 2002
286
0
0
I guess the rise in violent crimes is a factor for many to leave.
Buyers from the US probably have no idea about whats going on, or may be more accustomed to deal with it.
 

NALs

Polls Forum Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
9,564
441
83
Well, you have to understand that if market economics collapses, the people of the Third World would be much better off than those of the First World. The reason lies in pure survival tactics. Third World countries tend to have many subsistance farmers (ie. people that grow their own food and rely very little on market economics for their survival) while First World countries have the bulk of their population being illiterate in even planting a flower in most cases. So, if market economics was to fail, a famine could very well hit the Rich First World nations of the world, where as people leaving in Third World would be much better off because many families produce their own food to start with. That's an excellent reason for picking a Third World country to move to incase the U.S. is wiped off the map.

Fiesta Mama said:
I have seen several comments recently on this thread and others regarding Americans wanting to buy property in the DR in case of a threat to the U.S. I just don't understand the logic in this thinking. First of all, if there were ever to be such a problem in the U.S. that people were fleeing the country, I would think that most countries in the world would be in for some serious trouble since s**t flows down and the U.S. is basically at the top of the world food chain. I for one would not want to be stuck on an island (especially one that is shared by TWO third world countries) when the s**t hit the fan. Sure it would be nice to be in a tropical location but that thinking would soon end when supplies started running low, gas prices went skyhigh (or worse yet, gas stopped being imported all together), medical supplies started running low, etc. Also, if there was a mass influx of foreigners to the DR who could better afford to buy up all the supplies or be able to sustain themselves than the low class Dominincans, eventually they would rebel if their lives depended on it. I predict the situation would be worse than staying put in the U.S. Just something to think about.
 

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
668
0
0
wie der alte zen master schon sagte:

"chinesen gehen und tataren kommen,
tataren gehen und chinesen kommen"
x.