Give them a ticket, Problem solved!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Apparently you haven't seen someone thrown over 100 feet and ended up with their head rolling down the highway, I have, and if this guy was wearing his seatbelt, he would be alive today.....for his family. THEY SAVE LIVES...

That was HIS choice right? Like I said I DO wear them all the time and I think they are a great safety tool, but I also know people who don't like to wear them. I even know a guy who almost died BECAUSE he was wearing a seatbelt and now he won't wear one even at the risk of getting a ticket.

I wouldn't want the government regulating every little part of my life. If that's the case why don't we outlaw motorcycles...heck even bicycles can be dangerous. You know what would really save a lot of lives? Outlawing guns...but god forbid you even think about something like that in both The US and The DR. Let's give people tickets for smoking because you'll probably die from it and help kill other people...Drugs? Forget about it. Let's ticket the heck out of that (actually that one I would agree with). Fattening foods? Let's prevent you form being obese so you get a ticket if you're caught eating that baconator that's going to probably give you a heart attack and the emergency services are going to have to come and take your lard ass to the hospital...where does it stop?

Reactions: waytogo

Wanna

Feb 1, 2006
...and that's how I like it. Sorry, but I don't want to see The DR become like The US where you drive scared, constantly looking over your shoulder wondering if you broke the smallest rule and they may give you a ticket. I agree SOME things should be enforced (such as driving drunk...an I mean drunk not after having one beer like here in The US), but giving people tickets for every little thing I hope never happens. Seat belts for instance to me is a personal choice (I wear them all the time, but that's MY choice) and a person should not be given a ticket for not wearing one.

Seat belts keeps you in the car during an accident, and not an airborne piece of litter on the road, or more importantly, an obstacle for other innocent unsuspecting vehicles and/or pedestrians to dodge.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
...and that's how I like it. Sorry, but I don't want to see The DR become like The US where you drive scared, constantly looking over your shoulder wondering if you broke the smallest rule and they may give you a ticket. I agree SOME things should be enforced (such as driving drunk...an I mean drunk not after having one beer like here in The US), but giving people tickets for every little thing I hope never happens. Seat belts for instance to me is a personal choice (I wear them all the time, but that's MY choice) and a person should not be given a ticket for not wearing one.

Actually I believe the drunk driving aspect in the DR is not a big problem, if not a problem at all, as every Dominican is accustomed to drive drunk by now (and now everybody will jump over me with sad stories).

Suarez the reason the cops gives a lot of tickets for meaningless things in the States is revenue needs by the city and state.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Seat belts keeps you in the car during an accident, and not an airborne piece of litter on the road, or more importantly, an obstacle for other innocent unsuspecting vehicles and/or pedestrians to dodge.

Thanks for the insightful post Mr. obvious...:laugh:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGJlzUt-vHk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wGJlzUt-vHk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Extreme: Know what u mean. When I mean drunk is I've seen guys going from one side of the road to the other and back...yep prepare for the onslaught that's coming.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I'd comment about the disaster that is driving in this melee every day of my life but I know it'll never change in my lifetime.

For my first 6 months here it was funny and entertaining to see the crazyness, I laughed and joked at the stupidity of it all.

2 years later, I fear it could kill me or any member of my family at any given moment.

The biggest problem I see is respect. The urge to get ahead is causing the jams which people are avoiding. Its a stupid insane vicious circle.

Ask yourself (those who live in SD), how many times per day does a fool in a crappy car overtake you in an insane way almost causing a crash... And then drive like Freeman in "Driving Miss Daisy" once he's infront....

My beef of the week is waiting 10 seconds once the lights are green to start moving, but if just-gone-red going they drive like a rocket.....

I'm sure if I replaced every driver in SD with a 1st world driver then there would be virtually no jams.....

But I'm a realist.....it won't change, either you deal with it or buy a helicopter. Your choice...

Reactions: waytogo