Giving birth in the DR when you're an expatriate

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I know the "OP" knows what she should do!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,...Please forgive "Doc1492", he has an "AGENDA", and he's sticking to it!!!!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Do understand that you want the babies fathers to be present but why would you want your child to have a Dominican passport? It's almost useless.
Here's something for you to read.
http://dr1.com/forums/living/140364-having-baby-dr.html

Just being born in the DR does not provide the right to a Dominican passport. In this case having a Dominican parent does provide that right no matter where the child is born. The mother being a US Citizen would require some paper work to be done for the baby to get a US passport. If the child does spend time in the DR, then having the DR passport would mean no exit fees when the child leaves the DR or enters again.

I would recommend having the baby in the US.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I know the "OP" knows what she should do!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ps.,...Please forgive "Docdr" he has an "AGENDA", and he's sticking to it!!!!!

CC... I am curious where were your US/Dominican children born in the DR or US???

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Agree that the child with a Dominican parent can get a D.R. passport regardless of place of birth (not that it has much value).
But a child with a U.S. passport (or other) who was born in the D.R. does not pay entry visa or overstay. Place of birth is on the passport and is treated as a Dominican born and thus no fees.

Just being born in the DR does not provide the right to a Dominican passport. In this case having a Dominican parent does provide that right no matter where the child is born. The mother being a US Citizen would require some paper work to be done for the baby to get a US passport. If the child does spend time in the DR, then having the DR passport would mean no exit fees when the child leaves the DR or enters again.

I would recommend having the baby in the US.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
many cannot leave DR to do any medical procedures abroad because they do not have health insurance in their home countries or money to pay cold hard cash for those. i had a surgery in DR and i was happy with the service but birth is putting two lives at stake. if early indications are positive giving birth in DR is not a problem. if early indications are poor then it is better to leave, providing that one can.

IMO I would not live in any country that I could not even trust the basic medical care provided in case of an emergency. I would have to have at least a trusted doctor and or hospital/clinic that I could go in case of an emergency. It would be delusional to think that every time you get sick you will always have enough time to go back to the states to seek medical care in an emergency or as well as for a procedure. Except for the more complicated and stable chronic conditions you are stuck with the medical care of the country you live most of the time.

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
do as you wish but also consider the fact that you may prefer to have family and friends close to help you out with the last months of pregnancy and the first months with the child. and if you holding on to the idea of your husband being with you for the birth - abandon your hopes. i only know once instance when a father was allowed in and that's because a mother was good friends with the owners of the hospitals. other than that the chances are slim.

birth is not rocket science and millions of women manage to pop out kids without any problems but s**t can happen. it may be too late (if third term) or too dangerous (complications) for you to travel in case something goes wrong along the way.

I agree with you dv8 that anything can happen at the last moment (labor) and then what?

What happens if the child does not descend through the birth canal or is breech? Too
late to consider taking a flight home. These are things that should be thought of way ahead
of time for those who may consider home deliveries. Have a plan ready and don't assume
that just because during prenatal care the mother had no complications that she will be just fine
during labor.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
but pregnancy is not an emergency.

"It would be delusional to think that every time you get sick you will always have enough time to go back to the states to seek medical care in an emergency or as well as for a procedure."

If I lived in the US and my wife/girlfriend told me, I am pregnant and I am going back to Colombia alone to have are child because I do not trust the doctors here in the US. I guess you know what will be the correct answer?

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
IMO I would not live in any country that I could not even trust the basic medical care provided in case of an emergency. I would have to have at least a trusted doctor and or hospital/clinic that I could go in case of an emergency. It would be delusional to think that every time you get sick you will always have enough time to go back to the states to seek medical care in an emergency or as well as for a procedure. Except for the more complicated and stable chronic conditions you are stuck with the medical care of the country you live most of the time.

The Abreu Clinic in Sto Domingo fits the bill.....
in business since 1958 ~

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"DICK1492" I was more concerned about where my children were CONCEIVED, than where they were born!!!!!
BUT, I appreciate your concern!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

It's too late to, "Buckle Your Seat Belt", AFTER the accident!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If I lived in the US and my wife/girlfriend told me, I am pregnant and I am going back to Colombia alone to have are child because I do not trust the doctors here in the US. I guess you know what will be the correct answer?

say that you love her and care for her and the your child more that you care about how she perceives american healthcare?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My wife gave birth twice in Holland and once in DR. First time in Holland was a great shock for her (also because it was her first time giving birth). First: no gynecologist but a midwife. Everything is focused on giving birth at home, only at the last moment they brought her to the hospital in an ambulance. Cesarean birth is a huge exception. No induction or medicines to make the delivery faster. No pain relieve. She was in great shock and everyone that heard about it from DR thought there were a bunch of butchers in Holland. Until she came to DR for a visit and brought our child to her family's pediatra. (dr. Acra, a very old guy but apparently for years one of the authorities in pediatrics in DR). He told her that everything she went through was actually the best way to make sure recovery is better. Even the pain of labor has its function.

Second delivery, same situation, but she now knew what to expect and it went perfect.

Third in DR. After 4 months she started to have some complications (apparently leaking amniotic liquid). One gynecologist told her to better abort the baby. These cases hardly ever turn out well, she said. Another one told her to stay in bed for 4 months (that's what she did). When time of labor was there they gave her something to induce the labor/ make the contractions come faster (even though she was only 38 weeks), pain relieve obviously. Everything went well, can't complain about that, but I didn't really like the part of giving her something to make the delivery go faster. I was on a plane from Miami to Santo Domingo, so I couldn't give my opinion. Baby was born at 3.50pm, at that moment I was waiting for my suitcase in the airport. I could have been on time to be present at the moment of birth if they hadn't hurried up the process.

At of this year number 4 is due to arrive. Most likely she will give birth here, but from the start we have been looking for a gynecologist that is not only saying he/she is pro-parto natural, but also shows it. And we are changing from Corazones Unidos to Abel Gonzalez.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the bottom line is for the OP to decide what she feels is safer and better for her and the child. good luck.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
We had our daugther in the DR back in 2008. If you are in the Capital there are many hospitals but one in particular I would recommend is Abel Gonzales on Lincoln. My wife had a C-Section had a private room for recovery and the Doctors and Nurses took exeptional care of both Mom and baby. Total cost with GYN, Pediatrician etc etc was $5500 USD covered by my stateside Insurance. As far as Citizenship my daugther has both a Dominican passport and a US Passport. US Passport says she was born in Santo Domingo so when she enters the DR she does not pay the $10 Tourist Card.

In short there really is no downside to giving birth in the DR that I encountered if you use the right Doctors, Hospital and all papers are in order for the Embassy.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Doc will be cooling his heels for a month
What was the offense, if I may ask? And, in the process of cooling one's heels, is one allowed to read, but not post, or is access totally blocked? Not that I'm planning anything, mind you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
What was the offense, if I may ask? And, in the process of cooling one's heels, is one allowed to read, but not post, or is access totally blocked? Not that I'm planning anything, mind you.

The DOC made an offensive remark and it was deleted.

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
We had our daugther in the DR back in 2008. If you are in the Capital there are many hospitals but one in particular I would recommend is Abel Gonzales on Lincoln. My wife had a C-Section had a private room for recovery and the Doctors and Nurses took exeptional care of both Mom and baby. Total cost with GYN, Pediatrician etc etc was $5500 USD covered by my stateside Insurance. As far as Citizenship my daugther has both a Dominican passport and a US Passport. US Passport says she was born in Santo Domingo so when she enters the DR she does not pay the $10 Tourist Card.

In short there really is no downside to giving birth in the DR that I encountered if you use the right Doctors, Hospital and all papers are in order for the Embassy.

Stateside insurance? Please explain how that works. I have insurance in the US through my job and will be relocating to the DR soon where my wife would probably end up giving birth. In curious to know how you pulled that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk