Globe and Mail Article about a Dominican sanky

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Except for the use of "the Dominican" the article reflects what we have been telling people for ten years....

They are tickets out of the Dom Rep for people that will never leave.

HB

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Great article

This is amazing I hope it becomes a warning to all of those who think they found love in the lobby, that bar or by the pool. Great article. As has always been said in many of these post these guys continue to support their wifes and kids back home. Remember the one about older women who went down there for the men as well. Can't find the thread but its on here.

swtness

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Remember the one about older women who went down there for the men as well. Can't find the thread but its on here.

swtness

That's different, she visits to get laid! I dont think she's bringing him to England...

JAMIE

Jun 10, 2002
The love with foreigners and with good ending story in DR, for 10 years that I stay in DR, as of now, sorry guys, I haven't heard too many. ONLY ONE CASE IS BETTER GOOD ENDING ( however the German guy stops helping his wife's family, because he can not put up with continuous asking this , asking that, again and again, besides his wife family members are young)

My american friend told me he knows 20 Americans who married with Dominicana, all marriages ending up in divorce and separate. , that is not a joke, that is a serious mentality problems. Just imagine how many % that DR has for single parent??, divorce and separation for most of Dominicans just like to change another place to rebreathe the fresh air.

The definition of "LOVE" for most of Dominicans is: money, easy life, good house, new staffs (electronics, car), bed, furniture, clothes, jewelry.....etc. Unfortunately, they never think about how marriage couple should work together with passionate, consideration, budgeting, planning, implementing to purse the life objectives.

Reactions: Lapurr

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
The love with foreigners and with good ending story in DR, for 10 years that I stay in DR, as of now, sorry guys, I haven't heard too many. ONLY ONE CASE IS BETTER GOOD ENDING ( however the German guy stops helping his wife's family, because he can not put up with continuous asking this , asking that, again and again, besides his wife family members are young)

My american friend told me he knows 20 Americans who married with Dominicana, all marriages ending up in divorce and separate. , that is not a joke, that is a serious mentality problems. Just imagine how many % that DR has for single parent??, divorce and separation for most of Dominicans just like to change another place to rebreathe the fresh air.

The definition of "LOVE" for most of Dominicans is: money, easy life, good house, new staffs (electronics, car), bed, furniture, clothes, jewelry.....etc. Unfortunately, they never think about how marriage couple should work together with passionate, consideration, budgeting, planning, implementing to purse the life objectives.

well said Jamie...i agree with you %100

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

So you call resort workers low-life most dominicans?? What about the educated ones that lives on the cities, has full time jobs or have succesful business? I know Sankies has broken some tourist hearts but to to say MOST DOMINICANS ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY is a bit insulting.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So you call resort workers low-life most dominicans?? What about the educated ones that lives on the cities, has full time jobs or have succesful business? I know Sankies has broken some tourist hearts but to to say MOST DOMINICANS ONLY CARE ABOUT MONEY is a bit insulting.

I agree. I've met thousands of Dominicans in the past 33 years, and for the most part they're hard working, family-oriented people. I'm proud to call my husband's family 'my family'. ALL of them qualified for US citizenship or green cards, but only one sister lives in the US - the brothers all live in SD and live for their families. Two of them turned in their green cards to the US Embassy. Don't tell me they're the exception - I know too many of their cousins and friends who are exactly the same way. Two of our nieces have university degrees in Hotel Management, and believe me, they are far from sankies.

Are there some bad apples in the bushel? Of course. Show me a country where there aren't any.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I like the idea of the 2 year conditional period although it might just make the price higher and the pain worse for both, rather than weed out the fraudsters.

Although this would likely make some abusive control freaks even worse, making it more likely that legitimate people would throw in the towel, this is all the more reason that both parties should choose wisely and they can sleep in the bed they made.

A routine background check to at least make sure the person is really single and not a hardened criminal should be mandatory.
Obviously I mean before the marriage, not after he/she leaves.

Deport the fraudsters immediately and give the bill to the one who brought them here.
They are the ones who were defrauded, not us.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
A routine background check to at least make sure the person is really single and not a hardened criminal should be mandatory.
Obviously I mean before the marriage, not after he/she leaves.

That is already in place. Every applicant needs a police report and most of the time they need it re-done because of the wait time involved.

They also need to declare that they are single :)o) ( at the time of marriage to the sponsor) and if they have children but a new form is being asked for to again declare any children as time to issue the visa gets close. I'm sure that has come from a number of incidents where the immigrant fathered some children while waiting.:paranoid:

I don't know what the answer is anymore.

Edited to add,

The Canadian woman in the article hired a detective after he left maybe a good idea would be to hire one before getting married or starting the process.

1500 Canadian women a year falling for marriage fraud is serious business so before investing money and emotions a few hundred bucks on a detective wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited:

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
I agree. It still happens here in the States even with the 2 year conditional period. Same situation but more time for further emotional investment. I would think that being financially responsible for their spouses for a few years would make Canadians a bit more cautious in entering these arrangements.

I like the idea of the 2 year conditional period although it might just make the price higher and the pain worse for both, rather than weed out the fraudsters.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The Canadian woman in the article hired a detective after he left maybe a good idea would be to hire one before getting married or starting the process.
That's what I'm talking about.
Claiming to be single is often meaningless and it should be confirmed.
Doing so after he leaves is a bit late. :rolleyes:

Maybe they should have to pass a lie detector test too. :devious:

Do you really think she is beautiful?:ermm:
Do you really love her?:paranoid:
Do you really want to be with her forever?:surprised

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
I agree. It still happens here in the States even with the 2 year conditional period. Same situation but more time for further emotional investment. I would think that being financially responsible for their spouses for a few years would make Canadians a bit more cautious in entering these arrangements.

I think that making some stricter reverse onus rules that would apply to the person coming to Canada would be far more effective than adding years, etc. to the person's responsibility here in Canada. The person here in Canada truly believes that their spouse is marrying them for love and good intentions (with the exception of a few who may be doing it as a business deal) so I doubt adding more years to their responsibility would deter people because by the time they are in love, they are willing to do anything to get their spouse here.

I don't know what the answer is because you have to be very careful not to punish those in a situation where things just didn't work out which is 50% of Canadians in any event so marrying someone from abroad doesn't change that statistic.

The government could simply change immigration rules to say that anyone living in Canada under the PR class who was sponsored by a spouse, does not qualify to receive welfare regardless of the situation. That does not stop someone from using someone to get into Canada but it stops them from collecting government money and if they want to leave their spouse, they will have to work to support themselves. Another thing could be that in order to receive citizenship within the first 6 years in Canada or something like that, you must remain married and in a relationship with the person that brought you here. These people would not be living in Canada if not for their spouse so citizenship should not be a right but a privilege and contingent on the fact that they remain in a relationship with their sponsor.

I know a lot of couples here (Can/Dom) that didn't work out once their spouse got here but I also know of lots (although fewer than the flip side) that have been together for years, have children, a home together, etc. I think the Dominicans that are using someone strictly for a visa with absolutely no intention whatsoever of staying with their spouse once in Canada, are probably less than you think. A lot of Dominicans are thinking sure, I'll get married to this person, I do care about them, I have nothing to lose because the situation in my country is not great, but then when they get here, things are harder than they thought and things don't work out. It goes both ways, I see a lot of couples where the Canadian doesn't realize where these men and women are coming from and the Dominican ends up feeling trapped and controlled or they want to go out every night and leave their spouse at home, etc, etc, etc, so the relationship breaks down and they leave. That cannot be seen as someone who just used their spouse to get here but knowing that they can collect government money probably makes the choice a bit easier.

I am not disputing that the spouses who arrive in Canada and leave within weeks or even months have married in bad faith because in those circumstances, there was obviously a plan in place on their part to not make a future with the person who sponsored them. Often times, they already have someone else here waiting for them so they just have to get here. Perhaps in these situations, if someone leaves within the first year, they should just get deported? There has to be something in place to make is less appealing for those just using someone to get here.

swtness

Apr 16, 2009

That really is a bit offensive I have family back in the Dominican Republic and they are all hard working. Some have married Americans and Canadians and their marraiges are just fine so that is a steriotypical remark.

The two year conditional periode seems to be the only way to rule out the bad apples of the bunch. The law requiering them to be financially responsible for these guys makes the situation alot worse for those who have been taken advantage of. Wonder why something similar has not been put into place here in NY?

swtness

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
There can be hundreds of articles written like this, and thousands of women fall victims, But do you think they will ever listen and learn? NOPE !

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
There can be hundreds of articles written like this, and thousands of women fall victims, But do you think they will ever listen and learn? NOPE !

Do you have any idea how many putas live in Canada and, from what several friends in Europa tell me, many in the U.S. and Europe too. It's not just the women. There are many men (and let me tell you OLD ones) that sponsor women here too and they are in the same situation but the difference between the sexes is that many men that sponsor women here don't seem to care if they leave. They figure they are lucky if they get a few years with the woman. I don't understand that mentality either???

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Before this permanent residency upon landing was put in place we did have a waiting period but keep in mind that anyone that is a scammer will wait it out no matter how long it takes if that was the intent. Three, four, five years, whatever it's all been done before.

The solution is to do something before they get to Canada. I still think a report from a detective should be included in the application. Perhaps an agency approved by Immigration Canada much like the doctors that they pick to do the medical reports.

Police report
Medical Report
and a detective report

Also keep in mind that the article isn't just about Dominicans, there are scammer all over the world but because this a DR related site that is what the focus ends up being. And yes it's not just women that are victims, men as well but the women are more likely to complain and tell the stories and look for revenge.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wonder why something similar has not been put into place here in NY?

swtness

NY???? :paranoid:

I think when they make immigration laws in your country it's done for more than just NY. It's a big country.:cheeky:

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Not What I ment Obviously

NY???? :paranoid:

I think when they make immigration laws in your country it's done for more than just NY. It's a big country.:cheeky:

Yes I know that but I was simply thinking of NY but I ment US most of the immigration laws are exactly the same state to state.