Going from temporary to permanent residency?

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
one sponsor and two witness

you need to one sponsor who will sign the sponsor letter before notary public. And two witness with citeznship or permenant residency declare that you are responsible person and have good moral behavior before notery public. You can read all detail on the immigration department webside. You can read with translator. For the sponsor risk, I do not think have any because goverment will check your criminal background through interpol dateabase and the application cannot get approved even if someone sponsor you. For the civil liability,there is no enforcing mechanism. There is cash economy here and there is no debt default risk. If you do not have money to support yourself, the dr government do not give damm to you unlike canada goverment help you first and then try to get it from sponsor. For the deportation cost, Dr governemnt will not spent a dime to deport you. if you have criminal activity, you go to jail. If you have money, you bribe out yourself and go back to your country. If you do not have money, you just stay in Jail. Lawyers know this well and they sponsor their every client without asking any questions.
It is good to know that even a person with permanent residency can be my sponsor. But how many sponsors does a person need? I heard it was two?

Bob :)

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
For the sponsor risk, I do not think have any because goverment will check your criminal background through interpol dateabase and the application cannot get approved even if someone sponsor you. For the civil liability,there is no enforcing mechanism. There is cash economy here and there is no debt default risk. If you do not have money to support yourself, the dr government do not give damm to you unlike canada goverment help you first and then try to get it from sponsor. For the deportation cost, Dr governemnt will not spent a dime to deport you. if you have criminal activity, you go to jail. If you have money, you bribe out yourself and go back to your country. If you do not have money, you just stay in Jail. Lawyers know this well and they sponsor their every client without asking any questions.

THANK YOU FOR THIS MONEY SAVING INFORMATION !!!!!!!!!!!

Since lawyers know this well, then it is up to us who need to go from temporary residency to permanent residency to educate average people in the D.R. whom we can pay a couple hundred dollars to be our sponsors and go with us to immigration instead of paying a lawyer $1,000 or more to "help" us.

I do not live in the D.R. but vacation there to obtain residency status.

I originally came on this thread thinking I was going to have to use a lawyer but one of the members here put the idea into my head of not using a lawyer and I am glad he did that as I plan on finding someone in the D.R. whom I can educate to help me with the sponsorship and translating in immigration and driving me around to the x-ray place etc. as I move from temporary to permanent residency.

Bob :glasses:

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
you need to find one sponsor who will sign the sponsor letter before a notary public. And have two witnesses with citizenship or permanent residency who declare before a notary public that you are responsible person and have good moral behavior.

Can the sponsor also be one of the witnesses?

Bob :glasses:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Bob, with all due rspect, at this rate I don't think you are ever going to understand what you need to do. This really isn't that complicated. You have pm'd me several times and I have given you some info. you needed. Look at your original post and write down the constructive points one by one that have been given you by people trying to help and you may get a clearer picture of what you need. Going back and forth is only going to mix you up more. It is just a step by step process. And, I really don't think you will get anyone on this forum to sign their name (s) for someone they don't know. You may think that what you are asking for is a little thing, but it isn't. I really wish you the best of luck.

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
one sponsor and two witness

total three person.I think it is OK if you do not speak spanish for the medical test. You go to window 1 and pay 3800 peso with you provional residencial card. After paid, you do not received anything and was told to go to door 4 in spanish. You go to door 4 and go inside to sit for your name to call. One guy there speak English to assitant applicant. That guy is very friendly and show you where is x-ray after blood test. The key factor is find sponsor. if you find a sponsor, he will find two another people for you. I do not think you can find any sponsor here even if you pay. My suggest that you go to boca chica or susua, you find a chica to make friend and offer to pay for the sponsor. You mention you do not have address and it is not neccessary because no body will care for that and there is no reliable post service.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
Need good info. About this one

See if this information is correct:

I was told by a D.R. lawyer that after I came to the D.R. to go through the process to get the permanent residency I WOULD STILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR FOUR OR FIVE MONTHS BEFORE THE PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD COULD BE SENT TO ME VIA FEDEX BY THIS LAWYER BECAUSE OF THE PROCESSING TIME.

Is it true I can not get my permanent residency card during the two weeks I want to spend in the D.R. ?

Please give me the best and most accurate information according to experiences that anyone has had here.

Thanks, Bob :glasses:

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
See if this information is correct:

I was told by a D.R. lawyer that after I came to the D.R. to go through the process to get the permanent residency I WOULD STILL HAVE TO WAIT FOR FOUR OR FIVE MONTHS BEFORE THE PERMANENT RESIDENCY CARD COULD BE SENT TO ME VIA FEDEX BY THIS LAWYER BECAUSE OF THE PROCESSING TIME.

Is it true I can not get my permanent residency card during the two weeks I want to spend in the D.R. ?

Please give me the best and most accurate information according to experiences that anyone has had here.

4 months is about right....results of the medicals take about 7-10 days, your letters of guarantee and witness testaments are scrutinised, then your file is sent away for police certification including Interpol.

According to my lawyers, the files are sent in batches - and if one file gets delayed for further checking or any other reason, the whole batch gets held up.

When the file comes back and all is well, it goes to the Director for signature. When that is done they will call you for photographing and biometric enrolment.

Allow three to four months at least plus another month for the holidays if it's not all completed before mid-December.

bobsimmons

Oct 14, 2009
question

While the permanent residency card is in process of being approved, does the person still have his temporary residency still intact and does immigration give them paperwork to prove their temporary residency since the old temporary card has a date on it that has now expired?

Bottom line is, while a person is outside of the D.R. and waiting for his or her permanent residency card to be sent to them, do they have paperwork issued by immigration that proves they are a resident of the D.R.??? Remember, the temporary card has an expired date on it and so can not be used anymore.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Bob, I gave you the number of my attorney here handling this exact matter for me. I asked her if there was paperwork like you are talking about. She told me there is no other paperwork given to state you are a resident here. I was given all the paperwork for the renewal of the temporary to the perminent and according to her.....That is it.
Give her a call, she speaks decent English. Maybe you can ask the question in a different way than I.
Three different people can ask the same person the same question, and get 3 different answers. Go figure........