Going to Haiti on Saturday...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have a friend who is a Dominican citizen. He delivers construction materials to Haiti. He had to buy a Haitian visa for $150 dollars good for six months.
Is he delivering materials for a dominican company he works for? If so then that is fine and I see no problem with that. It is when donations and volunteers are taxed that it stinks and should be made known to those that can change things.

rh8371

Nov 5, 2008
This I never heard of. I work for an huge International Organization...the biggest in Haiti right now...nuff said. This $80 is unheard of. With the new Haitian government still wondering what to do first this new "fee" is certainly not one of them. US Passport holders do not require a visa nor pay any fees when entering Haiti. Dominicans who have a US or Canadian visa also do not require a Haitian visa...there maybe a small fee to pay but not $80.

Do you know if this fee is paid you are given a receipt ... official government issued receipt.

Best bet is to check with the US Emabassy in the DR and inquire what are the requirements for US Citizens and fees associated with entering Haiti by both land or Air. But I am fairly certain the fees or requirements haven't changed as we would be well informed by the Organization as we work closely with the Haitian Government.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
The new fee is for all foreigners that are not Dominicans! If you have Dominican citizenship/passport the new fee will not be imposed.

This is a new program that will start in all ports of entry, save for airports in Haiti! The aim is to fund the schools and hospitals with that cash.

The airports in Haiti will charge the new fee once all the presently service partners are dully notified and they do the same with future travelers alike.

The actual fee will be $40 to come in and $40 to exit, charged in one single bill.

There is a great variety of possibilities quoted so far, but I would take the above on good authority. As we have a team of Canadians hoping to come down to volunteer at Messef Orphanage in Ouanaminte in October, they will need to decide whether or not they are prepared to add this to the substantial sums they are already spending on transport and supplies for the kids. I am 100% certain that if those $80 for each person were administered by the individual groups rather than the authorities, that the kids would benefit many times over. Not good news for those who are keen to help.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This I never heard of. I work for an huge International Organization...the biggest in Haiti right now...nuff said. This $80 is unheard of. With the new Haitian government still wondering what to do first this new "fee" is certainly not one of them. US Passport holders do not require a visa nor pay any fees when entering Haiti. Dominicans who have a US or Canadian visa also do not require a Haitian visa...there maybe a small fee to pay but not $80.

Do you know if this fee is paid you are given a receipt ... official government issued receipt.

Best bet is to check with the US Emabassy in the DR and inquire what are the requirements for US Citizens and fees associated with entering Haiti by both land or Air. But I am fairly certain the fees or requirements haven't changed as we would be well informed by the Organization as we work closely with the Haitian Government.
Facts are not in your favor, my friend.

It is true: the Haitian border authorities in Dajabon ARE and DO charge US$80. Whether official or not is moot.

It is what it is.

If I was voluntering for a couple of weeks or months, it might be worth it. But for ONE day? No way.

No one even accused Haitian authorities of either smarts or honesty. That's the underlying problem with their extreme dysfunction...

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
$80 might seem a measly amount to some people but for those of us who live here, earn Dominican wages and have residency but not citizenship, it is a lot of money when we have been used to going for $1. The foreigners visiting with us, without residency, have paid the $11 referred to above on the past few visits, plus the usual "incentives" to speed up the process.

It would certainly make me think twice about whether I could go, or not. The children will also suffer! Whilst people who have already visited might be willing to send in their donations with Dominican family or friends who don't have to pay, the way to really get people committed to helping on a long term basis is by taking them to meet the children, to see how their hard earned donations are being used, etc. Then they go back home and work hard to get support so that they can continue helping. I think it is very short sighted, but we all know about that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have been to Haiti a number of times and I will never pay $80 to go to that cesspool. It just does not make any sense. If I want to smell poo and urine I could go to a latrine in the campo and give them the $80!!...

This is absurd to the nth degree.

HB

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
That would be my initial reaction, too (why would you want to pay for the privilege of visiting hell on earth) if it weren't for about 50 kids who I am committed to.....

This might be a silly question, but I've tried searching and can't come up with any official confirmation of this. Is it too idealistic to think that this might be documented somewhere on the Internet by the Haitian authorities or embassies? I can't see anything on the US or Canadian websites.

Thanks, Linda.

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I went to the Dajabon border crossing today, day trip to Haiti. The fee was $1 to enter Haiti, and $1 to leave. I also gave the guy that helped us 200 pesos.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Any updates?

Is there any news on this? I'm crossing in Jimani tomorrow (walking across, using public transport) and have zero intention of paying $80. If faced with this I would just go back to Barahona, since I was only planning on going one night to a party and to buy some artisan stuff for gifts.

What should I be expecting to pay or deal with? Any tips? I have only crossed in Pedernales in institutional vehicles that were never stopped, no problem.

The people I'm going with (from different Central and South American countries) have crossed before and an intent was made by officials to charge them upon leaving Haiti (don't know how much), but they always insisted, whined, and complained their way out of it, playing the "volunteer" card (they actually are volunteers).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I went to the Dajabon border crossing today, day trip to Haiti. The fee was $1 to enter Haiti, and $1 to leave. I also gave the guy that helped us 200 pesos.
Excellent. Maybe some border guys were renegades and got their hands slapped...