Goldmine a threat to local people?

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Barick Gold for example is an International Giant. Their behaviour on past and present projects is always monitored and recorded. Any Country that might host future projects will be very well aware of this record and according to it permit (or not) to have them as their partner. This means that out of pure financial interest they to their very best to protect the environment. There is ZERO Evidence that the present Mining Projects in the DR cause any Healthproblems to the locals living closed by. They just want a bigger piece of the Cake.

Reactions: Big

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Barick Gold for example is an International Giant. Their behaviour on past and present projects is always monitored and recorded. Any Country that might host future projects will be very well aware of this record and according to it permit (or not) to have them as their partner. This means that out of pure financial interest they to their very best to protect the environment. There is ZERO Evidence that the present Mining Projects in the DR cause any Healthproblems to the locals living closed by. They just want a bigger piece of the Cake.
Well, according to the article, the people don't want a bigger piece of thee cake, they want to be moved away from the mine. And it seems there IS some evidence of problems: "Leoncia Ramos, a spokesperson for the committee, sits down at a table to explain what has changed over the past 12 years: “There are many people who suffer respiratory problems, vision loss, skin lesions, heart problems and depression because of the situation. People are dying.” The people are also concerned about a new dam being built.

I don't know. I am just quoting the article.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
the mine employs thousands and pays billions in taxes. The open pit mine has another 40 years in the tank. It is one of the biggest on the planet. They employe countless engineers whose sole purpose is protecting the environment and the water table. Yes, it is a money grab.

Reactions: aarhus

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well, according to the article, the people don't want a bigger piece of thee cake, they want to be moved away from the mine. And it seems there IS some evidence of problems: "Leoncia Ramos, a spokesperson for the committee, sits down at a table to explain what has changed over the past 12 years: “There are many people who suffer respiratory problems, vision loss, skin lesions, heart problems and depression because of the situation. People are dying.” The people are also concerned about a new dam being built.

I don't know. I am just quoting the article.
It wouldn't be hard to find out if chemicals are leaching out. Same as medical tests on those with complaints. A simple blood test would reveal their levels of toxic heavy metals, mercury, arsenic....etc. I don't believe there would be much of an airborne threat, but I might be wrong.