golf

V

Vic

Hello: My golf buddy and I are planning to visit DR in late october.One of us being a vagetarian it is very hard for us to stay at a hotel in a package deal and so we prefer to stay at a hotel and find restaurants on our own.In such a case where can we go to go to play golf and how do we about making reservation? We are from NYC and definitely want to play on 18 hole quality courses.Would anyone please let us know what is the best way for us to plan this trip? Can we play anywhere even if we are not staying at any resorts? Thanks.

H

hlywud

Casa de Campo, stay in an all inclusive, they have excellent veggies and pasta fare for your vegetarian buddy, and lotsof meat dishes for you.
Play Pete Dye's "Teeth of the Dog" rated #7 in the world by Golf Digest.

G

Grahame Bush

All the 'All Inclusive' hotels on the north coast offer buffet style meals with choice of pasta, vegetables & fish (if that is allowed, or is your friend a vegan?). Playa Dorada golf course you can just turn up (except competition days) & play just as soon as the first or ninth tee are vacant. It would be sensible to check Playa Grande course before you go down there though & the pro shop/caddy master at Playa Dorada golf course will help you in this matter.

If you come to Playa Dorada area, give me a call. I need an excuse to visit the course again (& again & again .....).
Play well - Grahame.

J

Jim D

I too am a vegetarian and a 5 handicapper. My wife and I have visited the DR for the past 10-years to play golf. We have found that the all-inclusive resorts always have plenty of variety on the buffet table to satisfy both my vegetarian diet and my wife's carnivoir tastes. We have also found that the golf course at Playa Dorado is accessible almost all of the time without reservations. Playa Grande, Casa de Campo are more difficult to play without a tee time. We have also played at Las Aromas in Santiago. The problem with Las Aromas is the lack of non-Spanish speaking caddies. Good luck and enjoy your trip to the DR.