Good business to get into

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Derfish is right. East from SPM there's no petrol station along the new highway until the Punta Cana area, three toll stations but no petrol station. There's a new station after the turnoff to Bayahibe, and the old Isla Gasolina on the old road towards Benerito. There's also a new station in Villa Hermosa for those taking the risk getting lost down there, still easier to get to than through La Romana. It used to be one Isla Gasolina before La Romana along the old road, but that was closed when the highway opened.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
there are certain enterprises that are reserved for Dominicans. i would suspect that a gas station is one of them.

What do you mean, as in you can't or you shouldn't? I doubt you can't do it legally. I do believe there is a reason why the highways don't have many gas stations yet and it's not because nobody thought about it. For example Total having plans but waiting until the name change from the shell stations has taken place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's much easier to buy existing station. all you need is money :)

i wonder if having one station helps in terms of getting permits for another location?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I believe there is quite a monopoly on gas stations. Getting permits etc. would probably take years and lots of $$ for any outsider. Derfish, I am trying figure out what 177 stretch you are talking about? Although I drive the country on a regular basis I admit that going east is my least favorite and therefore least traveled part of the country but going east of the capitol you have stations in Boca Chica (a few Shell stations I can think of) Juan Dolio (granted off the highway on the Blvd. but just a few miles), then SPM? Maybe you mean the new bipass which I have only taken once. I run my truck on propane and when I do have to switch to gas I feel sharp pains (it has a V8) until I find and fill up on propane again.

When I go to Punta Cana from Puerto Plata I go east from here for about 170 kilometers to get to Nagua, then south for 100 kilometers, and get off the toll road before the last toll booth, then east on Mello Highway. From the Texaco on said toll road until arriving at the airport in Punta Cana there are no visible gasoline stations. I am sure that there are some within a kilometer or 2 of the highway, but maybe a cheaper business to go into would be billboards. Contract with the stations unseen off the highway to put up a billboard or 2 for each one so people would know. From when one turns east off the toll road it says 177 kilometers to Punta Cana. I avoid Santo Domingo entirely. Cannot even see smog hovering over it from the route I use.
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What do you mean, as in you can't or you shouldn't? I doubt you can't do it legally. I do believe there is a reason why the highways don't have many gas stations yet and it's not because nobody thought about it. For example Total having plans but waiting until the name change from the shell stations has taken place.

i mean that if you are a foreigner, go think up something else.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
The gasoline business has price controls set by the government with a lot of competition so margins are very low and its a very shady mafia type bureaucratic labyrinth system of deception, backdoor deals, back stabbing, and double crossing. There are numerous ways to get ripped off from the tank truck drivers, refinery, employees, and customers. Without LOCAL experience or an insider you can trust (good luck with that too), I wouldn't touch this business.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The gasoline business has price controls set by the government with a lot of competition so margins are very low and its a very shady mafia type bureaucratic labyrinth system of deception, backdoor deals, back stabbing, and double crossing. There are numerous ways to get ripped off from the tank truck drivers, refinery, employees, and customers. Without LOCAL experience or an insider you can trust (good luck with that too), I wouldn't touch this business.

absolutely!!! every culture has its own scams, and i would caution a foreigner about getting into this business.

May 29, 2006
What I don't get is how few gas stations don't have attached convenience stores. We have some huge new stations here, but only one or two that even sell coffee.

I remember a gas stsion for sale a few years back between cabarete and sosua, US $4 million.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In santo Domingo they just opened a station with at least 15 pumps, convenience store, McDonald's (sunix).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
A foreigner with money could do it if teaming up with a Dominican he trusts. (Below my post many comments that Dominicans can't be trusted but that's nonsense.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

? Not really understanding that. "Mafia" protectionism is designed to provide exclusionary controls on high margin businesses. Can be outright illegal, or illegal abuse of legit businesses (unions, protection money, gambling, etc.)

Why would you need mafia-level deception for a heavily regulated business with razor-thin margins?

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
dont know about the competition for this business, but making bricks, pavers, adobe blocks, for driveways or building homes.
with the right size of land, and either importing the machinery, or make the old fashion way, by hand and mold. Its is an amazing
, labor intensive business , but I am sure there may be resources and a demand for this building product.

I would guess the Dominicans will be open to using something other than cement blocks and concrete.

spartanx15

Jan 26, 2007
If there are serious investment guys they can always partner with us in providing USA style internet services to business, CATV and hotels - no resi.