Good price for langostas?

May 29, 2006
PiB
thats an American flag on that muscled Scwhartnegger arm.....

AND Prince Edward Island (Canada) is the mussel capital of the world

WW

That's Jean-Claude van Damme, aka "The Muscles from Brussels." He got the tatoo after getting a couple million from Hollywood I guess.

Like I said, all of our mussels were from Prince Edward Island(PEI). I think we paid $8 a bag and got 16 large portions out of it. An appetizer with garlic butter and white wine sold for $9.95. It came with a side of French bread which cost us more than the mussels.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
yes I paid 1000Rd for all three of them. About 1.5LB- 2 LB each.

Still I feel kinda greedy and desperate that I overpaid. I did not sleep well.

I ate one of them alive last night. And freezed two other his friends (or relatives I do not know).

To eat two remaining do I have to thaw them first? Or throw in boiling water right from the freezer?

Please help!!

You did a good deal. thats less than 180pesos/pound. normally is 225-250 pound in Santo Domingo.
You can get better prices in the south Barahona 60-80 pesos/pound.
Just an advice. If you drive to Las americas to get fresh alive lobsters. Eat them fresh. Why to freeze them? Nothing taste like a fresh lobster.
The best way to cook dominican lobster is at the grill with butter & garlic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mussels

That's Jean-Claude van Damme, aka "The Muscles from Brussels." He got the tatoo after getting a couple million from Hollywood I guess.

Like I said, all of our mussels were from Prince Edward Island(PEI). I think we paid $8 a bag and got 16 large portions out of it. An appetizer with garlic butter and white wine sold for $9.95. It came with a side of French bread which cost us more than the mussels.

I bought 2 lbs the other day in Canada... less than $5/bag

We went to PEI this summer.... other than shellfish - its poor

Anne of Green Gables is a Nat'l Park...$8.50 entry fee to look at the movie set house...

Oysters and mussels were delicious

WW

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
BTW, I would give you a more useful answer if I knew the going price for lobsters. Mike l, WW, can you give us some idea of an actual price per pound? We know that we should negotiate, but it would helpful if someone knowledgeable gave us some idea if we are actually negotiating a good deal, or still paying "gringo premiums".

For whole frozen lobsters they ask for $RD 250 / lb and I just bought a frozen tail and it was $RD 472 per pound.

Half is waste so the $250 for the whole lobster is not that bad of price but you would think it would be less expensive in the Dr but it costs twice this amount in the Bahamas

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
You did a good deal. thats less than 180pesos/pound. normally is 225-250 pound in Santo Domingo.
You can get better prices in the south Barahona 60-80 pesos/pound.
Just an advice. If you drive to Las americas to get fresh alive lobsters. Eat them fresh. Why to freeze them? Nothing taste like a fresh lobster.
The best way to cook dominican lobster is at the grill with butter & garlic.

I have no grill, sorry!!

And I have no mujer to help me to eat my food like crazy!! So being solo I cannot eat the three guys at once. Hence , had to freeze two alive and angry.

How to get to South Barahona from Boca Chica I wonder? Is it that far? I have a good and very fast jipeta.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I have no grill, sorry!!

And I have no mujer to help me to eat my food like crazy!! So being solo I cannot eat the three guys at once. Hence , had to freeze two alive and angry.

You could have place them somewhere with some water and been able to keep the two alive for at least a few days. Feed them a bit (bread, corn, etc). I do it all the time. Crab as well. Jueyes even better!!!:bunny::bunny:

They will be ready for the next round. One for you and one for a date.;)

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010
You could have place them somewhere with some water and been able to keep the two alive for at least a few days. Feed them a bit (bread, corn, etc). I do it all the time. Crab as well. Jueyes even better!!!:bunny::bunny:

they die in regular tap water even faster than without water at all. i tried. no way.

only in special tanks with oxigen intake.

May 29, 2006
We used to keep our lobsters in plastic crates in the walk-in fridge covered with wet seaweed. The cold temp puts them to sleep, kind of. They can live for about three or four days, but not if you put them in water. In water, you need a real fish tank with sea water. Fresh water will kill them in a few minutes. It was always weird to get cases of live lobsters. We had to check them when they came in to see how frisky they were.

If you buy live lobsters in a Supermarket, get the ones with the longest antennae. They munch on each other in the tank so one with short antennae has been in there a while.

ab2000

Nov 7, 2010

After some thinking I came to conclusion that I will better eat all of them myself and for date will better buy chicken and rice. What do you think?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
from Lobsters to Political Parties,
will be interesting where this Topic Ends, lol.

here on the East Lobster Runs for 170-190 pesos per pound.

buying on the Street I would expect a max of 150 per pound.
but on the streets the prices of course go up and down a lot depending on availability/season.

very most lobsters you find in the supermarkets are not Dominican Lobsters, they are Imports, our waters do naturally not provide not even close to the needed/daily consumed amount of Lobsters prepared on daily bases at the resorts on the east only.

20 years ago You could walk into the Ocean in El Cortecito and pick one with your Hands to put on the BBQ,
Todays we have Lobster Traps in the 1-3miles line off the coast and many stay empty all week long.

cheers
Mike

May 29, 2006
Just checked prices for lobsters at the local store here in NY. Live Maine lobsters were on sale for $7/pound(some were pre-cooked at about $6 each), but imported frozen lobster tail was $25 for 12oz. A lobster with a 12oz tail would be quite big in the DR. Each tail was over 6" and about 3" at the thickest part. They were from Honduras.