GOOD vs BAD spanish

FRANK PACHECO

Jun 4, 2003
new member just saying hello

MaineGirl said:
On my latest trip I encountered personal embarassment for the first time in regards to my Spanish. I was meeting people (doctors, etc., and people at a funeral) with whom I wanted to have a decent, simple and respectful conversation. There is no excuse--I really need more practice talking "good" Spanish!

I have noticed that most people I practice with here in the States are immigrants in the service sector. Most of my acquaintances are amazed at my level--which never meanders beyond weather and greetings, for the most part. Now I am using my Spanish in a different way--and it really does matter.

I think it's obvious that in your own language, say if you were to apply for a loan at the bank, you would put on a nice outfit and bring along your manners. Most foreigners do not need that type of interaction in the DR; they are, in fact, just on vacation or whatnot.

One of my main problems is that it is easy for me to pick up on an accent. If the people I am with speak a certain way, than it is like a game for me to speak that way, too.

MG

ps. thanks for the kind words, Ken :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hey, Frank, did you forget something? You posted Mainegirl's thread starter, but added nothing of interest yourself.