Gov official says too much drinking in the DR!?!?!?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not shooting the messenger. I'm just saying I prefer to live in a country where I can do as
I please so long as I'm not hurting someone else or intentionally trying to impact their life in a
negative way. I've already lost friends due to other people's actions while intoxicated and in no
way does it or will it change my opinion. I do not view my ability to drink an alcoholic beverage
on a sidewalk or with my feet in the sand as a "precious right".

I do not want to live in a country without laws. However I do believe in personal freedom(s) and
all I am saying is... I like things the way they are. We don't a bunch of over zealous power hungry
pricks trying to run our lives like all of those worthless good for nothing two faced politicians back
in the US.
I LOVE ^^^this post^^^

You hit the nail on the head.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Jeez, can't you publicans have a thread without your hand down your pants playing with yourselves. You're in the DR. Embrace it.

Btw, poverty is one way to control alcohol abuse.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Jeez, can't you publicans have a thread without your hand down your pants playing with yourselves. You're in the DR. Embrace it.

Btw, poverty is one way to control alcohol abuse.

"poverty is one way to control alcohol abuse."
Can you please explain this concept a bit further?

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I haven't seen it here, but other islands men will fill a gallon glass jug full of herbs, bark, and sugar cane leaves and fill it with raw rum/moonshine. They leave it out in the sun with the cap slightly loose.

The men claim it's good for their manhood and stamina, but it has the added benefit of evaporating off any methyl alcohol making it safer to drink.

I still wouldn't touch it because of lead and other metals could be lurking

Mammajuana; its at every bar, and you can buy it anywhere. Got some cooking at home right now.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
"poverty is one way to control alcohol abuse."
Can you please explain this concept a bit further?

When you're hungry and thirsty and only have money for one, usually hunger wins. Of course, there are some starving vagabundos to demonstrate the exception, but worrying about alcohol abuse is a sign of a rising economic tide.

I'm sure you've heard the old joke that cocaine is God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
When you're hungry and thirsty and only have money for one, usually hunger wins. Of course, there are some starving vagabundos to demonstrate the exception, but worrying about alcohol abuse is a sign of a rising economic tide.

I'm sure you've heard the old joke that cocaine is God's way of telling you that you have too much money.

I'm sorry, I have never heard of that particular joke.
I can tell you from experience and observation, that one mainstay of economically depressed or poverty stricken areas globally is alcoholism and drug abuse.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I'm sorry, I have never heard of that particular joke.
I can tell you from experience and observation, that one mainstay of economically depressed or poverty stricken areas globally is alcoholism and drug abuse.

Where is that? You say global, but it seems to be more of a 1st world problem where poverty is more self imposed given opportunities for improvement. Alcohol and drug abuse is an inherently narcisstic activity.

The poor here (and Nicaragua where I also have some 1st hand knowledge) are (for the most part) hard working people. Sure they drink, but it's more a Sunday/special event activity and not a daily habit. The evangelicals don't drink at all and they are still poor (at least in my barrio).

Same with drugs. The only users that I know of are the Chicas with surplus income (ie, no family to support). I know of only one sad case out of 100+ people that is drug/alcohol abuser to the detriment of their life and family.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Where is that? You say global, but it seems to be more of a 1st world problem where poverty is more self imposed given opportunities for improvement. Alcohol and drug abuse is an inherently narcisstic activity.

The poor here (and Nicaragua where I also have some 1st hand knowledge) are (for the most part) hard working people. Sure they drink, but it's more a Sunday/special event activity and not a daily habit. The evangelicals don't drink at all and they are still poor (at least in my barrio).

Same with drugs. The only users that I know of are the Chicas with surplus income (ie, no family to support). I know of only one sad case out of 100+ people that is drug/alcohol abuser to the detriment of their life and family.

You have lived a charmed life then. Consider yourself lucky. The world is a big place. I stand by my statement that one mainstay of economically depressed or poverty stricken areas globally is alcoholism and drug abuse. It is not solely a first world narcissistic indulgence.

gatito

Banned
Nov 1, 2016
Well said. For all those constipated canadians, americans and brits who like to stick their nose in other peoples business...DR does not need you here nor want you here. DR is one of the last bastians of freedom we have left. And it is the country belonging to Dominicans...not to you ! So enjoy it while you can. And if you don't like DR and its liberties, then go home to your oppressed countries and pay your parking tickets and hide from your neighbors and don't forget to call Ottawa to ask if its ok to have fun. So remember that the next time you want a cold beer on a hot day in the DR...you can drink it anywhere without having to look over your should like you have to in a police state like canada or america or UK. So, to all you freedom haters that want DR to be like a wet nappy stick in the mud, don't have any fun....go home to your prisons and stay there please. We don't need you and certainly don't want you here. Understand ? Good, remember it.

BlueDimond

Apr 29, 2018
The problem with Dominican Republic is the law, so when someone kills someone while drunk, there is no harsh penalty. I had a cousin killed by a drunk driver. The driver had their car head light turned off. And that guy was out of jail in two days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Thats funny cause I always thought it was God's way of saying...
Here's an opportunity to make a whole lot more :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Jan 7, 2016
With legal alcohol, yes, you can buy wholesale. For moonshine, you can do your own moonshine as no ATF will be riding your house, but of course you cannot sell it, that's illegal. Also there are legal and licensed distilleries which will distill legal moonshine for your own consumption from your own brought ingredients (fruits etc.). Though the distilling process is only undertaken by themselves and they are the ones who pour in ethanol so you don't end up accidentally pouring in methanol.

As for the last question, you can buy a distillery and start producing rum, just register a company, apply for the health certificate for the product, and you should be good to go. You will also have to pay taxes for both corporate tax, VAT and excise tax.

When I lived on Guam in the late 1970's, the locals there produced a product called TUBA. It's made from fermented coconut juice. Fill a 1 gallon bottle with juice, allow it to sit in the sun for a while, skim-off the fly larvae, filter it and sell it at roadside stands all over the island. It was totally LEGAL "moonshine" and nobody from the ATF, FBI, FDA or local police bothered with it. They all drank it. It wasn't bad at all. It was even served at formal parties at the Officer's Club on Base.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The article to which the OP referred and was posted in DR1 news cited an officials concern that the average consumption annually of alcohol had reached the figure of 6.9 litres.

That figure puts DR at number 82 in a world comparison table. Just to compare: USA consumes 9.2 litres on average, Canada 10.2 litres, UK 11.6 litres, Finland 12.3 litres with Belarus topping the pile at 17.6 litres.

Not everybody drinks in DR and more to the point very many do not drink at all. But there is are some that are making up for the abstinence of others.

Jan 7, 2016
The article to which the OP referred and was posted in DR1 news cited an officials concern that the average consumption annually of alcohol had reached the figure of 6.9 litres.

That figure puts DR at number 82 in a world comparison table. Just to compare: USA consumes 9.2 litres on average, Canada 10.2 litres, UK 11.6 litres, Finland 12.3 litres with Belarus topping the pile at 17.6 litres.

Not everybody drinks in DR and more to the point very many do not drink at all. But there is are some that are making up for the abstinence of others.

I think those quoted figures take into count the total population of the Dominican Republic divided by the number of liters of alcohol consumed on a daily basis, but doubt they took into consideration that probably 2/3 of that amount are consumed at All Inclusive Resorts around the island. They never count the number of imbibing tourists when figuring these surveys.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I think those quoted figures take into count the total population of the Dominican Republic divided by the number of liters of alcohol consumed on a daily basis, but doubt they took into consideration that probably 2/3 of that amount are consumed at All Inclusive Resorts around the island. They never count the number of imbibing tourists when figuring these surveys.

So are you suggesting that this low alcohol consumption per head is actually not just low, very low indeed?

I actually think that consumption in many barrios is very low for most days of the week but come Sunday in particular and fiestas the consumption rockets. So your comment makes sense.

The alcohol consumption whilst driving is a big concern for me. I used to live alongside Autopista Duarte and to see commercial vehicle drivers imbibing heavily at roadside drinks and car washes before getting back into articulated trucks was madness. We all know about the idiots who drive with a plastic cup of ice and rum or whiskey at their side at weekends and then read about the accidents. Some laws are needed and need to be enforced.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Sometimes the thing speaks for itself. It speaks volumes of the person that believes government statistics.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
World Health Organization figures.
Wonder how they account for the underground liquor that enters the country untaxed.

The more third world corrupt a nation is the less believable their statistics, regardless of "who" publishes them.

3rd base..... :)