Government run Pharmacy in Charamicos

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Does anyone know if this place is still around ? and where it is located ? We used to shop there and friends also bought large quantities of drugs for their animal rescue.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Does anyone know if this place is still around ? and where it is located ? We used to shop there...
Government run pharmacies are called Boticas. If you used to shop there why don't you remember where it is located?

Did you lose your memory?

• Haha
Reactions: cavok and windeguy

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't know if the OP has noticed (doubt it), but lately the local newspapers have published several articles regrding many "Farmacia del Pueblo" (the only government run pharmacy chain in the country, they are usually located in or very near public hospitals and sell heavily subsidized medicines, usually generics, with a limit of how many one customer can get at one time of any given medicine though many people go around that by simply going to several "Farmacia del Pueblo;" probably that is one of the reasons for the shortage) have been suffering medicine shortages. Not all of them, but many.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know if the OP has noticed (doubt it), but lately the local newspapers have published several articles regrding many "Farmacia del Pueblo" (the only government run pharmacy chain in the country, they are usually located in or very near public hospitals and sell heavily subsidized medicines, usually generics, with a limit of how many one customer can get at one time of any given medicine though many people go around that by simply going to several "Farmacia del Pueblo;" probably that is one of the reasons for the shortage) have been suffering medicine shortages. Not all of them, but many.
The fact that all the Haitians shop there also doesn't help with the shortage of meds/

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
These farmacias have great prices. Several years ago I had to take Mr AE to the hospital in Palenque after for some stitches after a mishap. They gave him a couple of prescriptions to fill and pointed to end of the parking lot. We didn’t even notice the attached farmacia at the far end of the building. No sign, just a door. I was amazed at the prices. I don’t know about other places, but that farmacia has limited hours and days. We just got lucky.

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
There are 2 of these farmacia in Puerto Plata. One is behind the Fire house near Salud Publico. The other is in Ricardo Limardo? public hospital.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That I did not notice.
I didn't know it until recently either. The woman who told me is an expat who has been there several times. It sounded like it's a small, separate side entrance alongside the AFB. I haven't been there myself.