Graphic Photographs

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I watched my mother and grandmother twist the heads off of chickens when I was a young kid. It didn't affect me the way you describe. I think it's much different then that. I think it's just a different attitude towards the reality of life.

Take sex for example, they have a much different attitude towards it then you will find in North America. When I was a kid (in ohio), my brothers and I weren't allowed to say "sex" or "pregnant", or be within earshot of the aunts, female cousins, etc when they were discussing a pregnant family member. We had to try to listen thru the door. :bandit:

But I've been at a friends house in the campo where a pregnant female will just pull out a boob (in my presence) to show her friends how swollen they are. No big deal. Had my mother witnessed something like that, she would have passed out in shock.

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto....

Where in Ohio did you live after you left Kansas and Toto behind?

PS. I went to grade school in Dayton, Ohio.

Frank

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
personally i do not mind seeing all this gore. maybe i am a primitive campesino who remembers pig slaughtering (i do and it was traumatic). maybe it is because i freely admit i am desensitized by our western - not so advanced - culture. watch any american horror movie and the stills would show much worse. yeah, of course, a movie is "not real". but those dead bodies in dominican press look far less realistic than corpses in movies. dead body has this waxy, puppet like appearance. even death looks better photoshopped. :ermm:

also, remember that an average dominican will see dozens of dead bodies by the age of 20: people still die at home (elderly) or on the street in full view (accidents); caskets are open (family and friends) and saying last goodbyes by kissing or holding a hand of someone who has passed away is normal (even i paid respect this way to miesposo's grandmother). a grainy picture is not a big deal...

I remember years ago when I went to the DR on a trip to visit relatives.Went to a campo and
witnessed the slaughtering of a pig, the horrible sounds it made as it was being butchered.
I was a teenager back then and I remember not being able to eat pork for many years.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember years ago when I went to the DR on a trip to visit relatives.Went to a campo and
witnessed the slaughtering of a pig, the horrible sounds it made as it was being butchered.
I was a teenager back then and I remember not being able to eat pork for many years.

Your post flashed me back to the Playa Najayo beach about 15 years ago - they were killing a HUGE pig. With a baseball bat. It was awful, and I'm not the squeamish type. I wouldn't eat any pork on that beach for a long time.

Later that year my husband walked a small pig - on a leash - to our house for a family bbq. I was adamant that they kill it humanely, no squeals allowed.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Your post flashed me back to the Playa Najayo beach about 15 years ago - they were killing a HUGE pig. With a baseball bat. It was awful, and I'm not the squeamish type. I wouldn't eat any pork on that beach for a long time.

Later that year my husband walked a small pig - on a leash - to our house for a family bbq. I was adamant that they kill it humanely, no squeals allowed.

OMG!With a baseball bat,I agree that's awful.