Great Movie On Netflix (DR Related)

May 29, 2006
I just saw this yesterday and found it a lot better than most movies of this kind out of Hollywood. There is a significant and relevant back story in flashbacks and there is a lot of real conflict in the main character. It was way more believable than Scarface.

It's a violent movie. But ironically, some of the reviews complained about the graphic actual butchering of a pig and the cock-fighting scenes.

The female lead looks a bit like a young Selma Hayek. In a Hollywood version, the love interest would have been a bigger part of the movie, here it's played well without being too sappy.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Plot thickens

:bandit:So the "plot" continues.

Will be interesting to see where and when he turns up and how many heads will roll once it happens. (Please keep us posted.)

I'm going out on a limb and saying he's not turning himself in!:rambo:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
what is the name of the movie?

La Soga

Yes I know this is an old thread being revived.

I bought the DVD (legit from Amazon) several months ago and finally sat down and watched it. WOW, great movie! I have no clue how much is truth and how much is fiction but still a great watch.

May 29, 2006
they have it with English subtitles?

Yes on Netflix. It's a good story line and would work well as a remake set in America. It deals not just with crime, but to some extent with class issues, since being a butcher's son isn't exactly a high status. There are some flashbacks to his life as a kid in the campo. I think La Soga means "the noose"(?) and in part references how he is stuck in his job and having to cross his own values at times.

Dec 26, 2011
Yes on Netflix. It's a good story line and would work well as a remake set in America. It deals not just with crime, but to some extent with class issues, since being a butcher's son isn't exactly a high status. There are some flashbacks to his life as a kid in the campo. I think La Soga means "the noose"(?) and in part references how he is stuck in his job and having to cross his own values at times.

Soga can also be used to refer to a crafty and sly individual. Perhaps a play on words in the title?